Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
road or mountain on the big island????

I'm going to be on the Big Island for 10 days over the holidays. for three of those days, I'll be by my lonesome.... I'm thinking about renting a bike. I'll be staying in Kailuea Kona without a rental car for those three days. My question.... is there decent mountain biking within riding distance of the Kona area? And if not, are the roads safe enough to ride on for 50+ miles. I'd prefer the mountain bike but only if there are decent trails to ride.

Thanks for your help! It's cold in Michigan!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I cant speak of any trails, but I know the road is great with an average shoulder of what has to be 8ft all the way to Hawi (~56m one way). Sweet ride, real popular in October.

Maybe try ridin up Mauna Kea, Now thats a hill!

WS

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.. I actually thought about the Mauna Kea ride. Being a flatlander though, I don't know if I could handle going from sea level to 1370+ feet in a day!

Stumpjumper808 said:
I cant speak of any trails, but I know the road is great with an average shoulder of what has to be 8ft all the way to Hawi (~56m one way). Sweet ride, real popular in October.

Maybe try ridin up Mauna Kea, Now thats a hill!

WS

·
Ack!
199 Posts
I just got back from Kona. I was there at thanksgiving. The ironman takes place in Kona and it seems to me if you go north from Kona the roads are smooth with a wide shoulder, all the way to Waimea and maybe beyond. The roads on the rainy Hilo side and to the south are much narrower (We drove all the way around the island with a four wheeler)

There are a lot of "dirt" roads just north of town (10 miles). Most go to a beach and are a mile or so, maybe longer they would be moderately fun to ride - hard tail is probably enough. The "dirt" is Lava rock though and probably is really bad on tires, and I imagine flesh too. Did you know that lava is called "a a" in Hawaiian?

Riding from the beach up to Queen K highway could be tough on a roadbike, depending on how strong you are, and which route. I'd consider getting a hardtail and riding up to some of the more remote beaches near mile markers 88 and 90.

We went to one that was phenominally beautiful, called Keakealua or something like that.

It gets windy in the after noon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm from the Big Island, not the Kona side, but if it was me I'd bring my road bike. Ride up to Hawi, or back around the southern side of the island. I was there two weeks ago and had the ride of my life. Rode from Hapuna beach (about 35miles out of Kona towards Waimea) up to Hawi, then from Hawi on the back upper mountain highway (you basically ride to Hawi and then take a right at the first main road by the Shave Ice stand) up to about 4,000ft and then a fun twisty descent down to Waimea. From Waimea it's only 7 miles or so downhill to the beach. We went on an awesome day and the wind was blowing the opposite way it normally does ("blowing Kona" we call it) so there was a sweet tailwind all the way to Hawi and up the back highway. Rode some of the flats at the top at 40mph whipping along and then dropped the last 5 miles or so to Waimea at over 50mph on the twisty mountain road. Killer ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.