Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, my first post so go easy....
Have about 200 miles on Rockhopper 29er around on country roads. I don't have many trails available so I want some road bike handle bars when on a stretch around here. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to do this? Or, does it even help as far as a long stretch?

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Not too practical to try and bolt some road bars onto a MTB. You'll have to get road shifters also.

You're better off putting some extensions to your existing bars.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You could do it, but you'd have to change your shifters and brake levers to road versions also. Can get a bit pricey.
I'd say to look into some bar ends for your mtn bar. These will get your hands forward and turned more to a "riding on the hoods" road position, usually at a cost of somewhere around $20-$25.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
What aspect of road bars do you want for that stretch of road? Aerodynamics? Multiple hand positions? Some alternate bars with some combination of bar ends and various other clip ons would probably end up working for you. OnOne Mary bars make a pretty good base for such projects.

There's also "Trekking bars," a decent alternative, offering multiple hand positions similar to road "Drop bars," but still compatible with your mountain bike shift/brake levers. (though you may need to re-cable if existing cables are too short) They're also affordable.

Here's a pair on Amazon for under 20 dollars:

Amazon.com: XLC Multi Functional Trekking Bar, 580mm, 25.4, Black: Sports & Outdoors

Though I think they work better with the open ends toward the rider not away...

·
Registered
946 Posts
You could go Woodchipper or Cowbells from Salsa. They are "road-esque" in shape and usage although the intent is to ride mainly in the drops, not on the hoods(assuming you get MTB compatible levers, like Tectro or Cane Creek make for disks).

I like road bars and tried a set of Woodchippers on my Pugsley for a while. I liked them okay and they may end up on my Karate Monkey 29er(has Surly Open Bars now) but I liked the Jones Loops better on my pugs, so changed it back pretty quickly. I needed more area for lights and offroad stuff than the Woodchippers could provide.

Have fun, whatever you decide! I am not a flat bar rider either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts