Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Reformed car junkie
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone had any info on running road cranks on a MTB. My knees cant deal the the wide q-factor of outboard bearing MTB cranks. Plus ill only be running a 2x9. Because a decently light MTB that dosnt use outboard bearings no longer exhists, Im looking toward a road or cross crank. I know ill have to experiment with ring size to find a good mix but I have a few ideas.

Only thing im worried about is the durability. Im around 160 lbs, xc riding/racing only. I like to keep my wheels on the ground, 12 inch drop is probably my max.

Thanks for your help.

·
Reformed car junkie
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shiggy said:
The bigger issue it that road cranks may not clear the chainstays of your mtb and their chainline is further inboard than mtb cranks.
That makes sense. I was thinking about it after I asked the question, and realized if the pro road sprinters have no problems the cranks are plenty strong. Its a differnt kind of force, but its strength requardless.

Stupid narrow knees.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.