Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ridden at Dupont since the snow? I'm sure the trails are icy and soaked, but how about the roads? I need to get back out and get some time in. Yesterday I parked at N. Mills River campground and headed up 1206 with the intention of riding to 276 and back. I wasn't able to do it. The gate is up and I can see why. There are sections with 3+ inches of solid ice in the ruts with 6-8 inches of real crusty snow on the sides. I turned around and rode to the Old Hendersonville Reservoir, it was slow going. It would be nice to get in a good dirt road ride with the (hopefully)light snowfall expected on New Years Day! Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I was in DuPont yesterday retrieving some tools (leftover from our workday early this month) and doing some planning for an upcoming project (next Sunday).

They have plowed some roads, Buck Forest and Conservation for sure and maybe others.
Single-track trails are covered for the most part, and it is solid ice (though it started as snow, it is no longer snow but instead ice).

The bigger problem will be when things start to melt out, trail treads will be very fragile.

I will be back that way on Friday or over the weekend and can post an update, but don't expect much melting progress for a while yet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I second the Paris Mt suggestion. I am in Asheville this week visiting relatives and brought my bike. Because of the local conditions I drove to Paris Mt on Tuesday and conditions are outstanding. It was my first time there and definitely worth the drive. You can easily get in 2-3 hours of riding down there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.