Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any reason I should put Shimano Ultegra components on my mountain bike? I found a good deal on a used derailleur/crankset combo. Will an ultegra bottom bracket fit in a mountain bike?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
got a road derailleur on one right now

moxfyre said:
Is there any reason I should put Shimano Ultegra components on my mountain bike? I found a good deal on a used derailleur/crankset combo. Will an ultegra bottom bracket fit in a mountain bike?
Short cage shitmano 105 with 8 sp. bar-con shifters on dirt drop bars. double crank 24/34, 11-34t 8 sp. in back. the short cage works fine in all gears except the big/big which I never use. shifts great. If I had 3 chainrings instead of 2, it would then need to be able to handle another 10t of total chain capacity, which it couldn't do without some compromises, like the chain hanging slack in most gears on the granny ring, and/or not being able to get in the largest 2 or 3 cogs on the big ring. but with a double, there's only 10t capacity up front so no problem.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,733 Posts
A lot of companies used to spec road r derailleurs on MTN bikes

Proflex and Ritchey just to name 2. Short cage road derailleurs are great and will handle a triple drivetrain just fine provided you know hoe to shift. Mid and long cage derailleurs aren't necessary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts