Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There are several posts on this forum with guys complaining how rude car drivers are to them, and how to teach them a lesson, etc. FYI: unless my car is down, I only bike off-road. I don't support road biking just for fun! I'll probably be crucified after you guys read it...

So here are some reasons why bikers should avoid riding the streets/roads:
1) Road maintenance costs money, which mostly comes from gasoline tax. So bikers: you get what you pay for.
2) Imagine what would happen to traffic if roller blades, skate-boards, etc. claimed the right to use roads.
3) Because bikes are so slow compared to cars, and traffic is usually heavy, it's hard to pass a bike. And what is most annoying to car drivers is bikes passing cars on the right side (illegal) when they are stopped at the traffic lights. Sometimes a car needs to pass the same biker 3 or 4 times.
 

·
LBS Manager
Joined
·
1,918 Posts
Thats harsh

I agree with some of your points particularly about bikes not obeying the rules of the road ridding on the side walk or the wrong side of the road is my pet peev. But I still think there is room for both cars and bikes on the road if managed properly.
 

·
almost there!
Joined
·
341 Posts
not quite...

stanbike said:
So here are some reasons why bikers should avoid riding the streets/roads:
1) Road maintenance costs money, which mostly comes from gasoline tax. So bikers: you get what you pay for.
Who says cyclists don't own cars and pay gas taxes too.

You can only guess how many cyclists don't own cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,013 Posts
stanbike said:
There are several posts on this forum with guys complaining how rude car drivers are to them, and how to teach them a lesson, etc. FYI: unless my car is down, I only bike off-road. I don't support road biking just for fun! I'll probably be crucified after you guys read it...

So here are some reasons why bikers should avoid riding the streets/roads:
1) Road maintenance costs money, which mostly comes from gasoline tax. So bikers: you get what you pay for.
2) Imagine what would happen to traffic if roller blades, skate-boards, etc. claimed the right to use roads.
3) Because bikes are so slow compared to cars, and traffic is usually heavy, it's hard to pass a bike. And what is most annoying to car drivers is bikes passing cars on the right side (illegal) when they are stopped at the traffic lights. Sometimes a car needs to pass the same biker 3 or 4 times.
Actually, I agree - pavement is a good tire eater. Tires ain't cheap. :p :D

Okay, in all seriousness though, I must question your #1 point, regarding road maintenance. How is it that a bike, road, mtn, cross or otherwise, would contribute to the cost here? I'm not asking in a rude manner, I just don't see it and would like your justification, that's all. It's a bike, very little weight on the ground. :confused: Where does the maintenance come into play? Maybe re-painting the bike lane's downtown??? Paving of Humber Trail (and other) networks (if those cost's even come from that?)???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AndrewTO said:
Okay, in all seriousness though, I must question your #1 point, regarding road maintenance. How is it that a bike, road, mtn, cross or otherwise, would contribute to the cost here? I'm not asking in a rude manner, I just don't see it and would like your justification, that's all. It's a bike, very little weight on the ground. :confused: Where does the maintenance come into play? Maybe re-painting the bike lane's downtown??? Paving of Humber Trail (and other) networks (if those cost's even come from that?)???
You're right that bikes don't damage the pavement in any significant way. What I meant is that if one expects separate bike lanes than somobedy needs to shell out the cash. Do bike riders do it? Otherwise, if bikes simply squeeze into normal car lanes, they slow down the car trafic. Drivers don't like to be slowed down, do they?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
your argument doesn't make sense. Bikers pay taxes.
Maybe everyone ought to have set times that they can be on the road...just so they don't slow down others
Make it a real BIg Brother society
 

·
LBS Manager
Joined
·
1,918 Posts
We just need to obey the rules

If all cyclist obeyed the rules of the road I don't think there would be so much bad blood between bikers and drivers. It makes me insane when I see some jack ass weeving through trafic and riding on the wrong side of the road. It gives all cyclists a bad image and causes tension on the roads. Don't get me wrong there are alot of jack ass drivers too but I never see them on the side walk or wrong side of the road.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,678 Posts
that's funny :D

i can see that you're a car owner first, a selfish driver second, and if you really do own and actually ride a bike, its strickly a recreational thing...like your TV

i make a point of riding everywhere, as of today i've been on a bike 360 days in 2005 (missed 4 days last january because of extreme cold), am confronted by attitudes like yours every day, and they always tick me off (just being polite, my feelings run much deeper)

if bikes on the road bother you so much that you actually have to list some reasons why...best that you stay off the roads altogether before you meet someone who disagrees with you...i hope that you're not the driver who tried to run me off the road on Eglinton two weeeks ago, are you?

hope you have a happy new year...i'll suggest a resolution for tomorrow...think of why bikes belong on the roads more than the cars...many more reasons than stupid stuff like taxes, maintanance, and some dumb comments about rollerblades and skateboards (how did those get into your rant against bikes?)...you also seem to be stuck on people following "THE RULES".

Geez
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
Actually Jm wasn't there some sort of squabble a few years back about rollerblades on the road vs the sidewalk???

JM01 said:
that's funny :D

i can see that you're a car owner first, a selfish driver second, and if you really do own and actually ride a bike, its strickly a recreational thing...like your TV

i make a point of riding everywhere, as of today i've been on a bike 360 days in 2005 (missed 4 days last january because of extreme cold), am confronted by attitudes like yours every day, and they always tick me off (just being polite, my feelings run much deeper)

if bikes on the road bother you so much that you actually have to list some reasons why...best that you stay off the roads altogether before you meet someone who disagrees with you...i hope that you're not the driver who tried to run me off the road on Eglinton two weeeks ago, are you?

hope you have a happy new year...i'll suggest a resolution for tomorrow...think of why bikes belong on the roads more than the cars...many more reasons than stupid stuff like taxes, maintanance, and some dumb comments about rollerblades and skateboards (how did those get into your rant against bikes?)...you also seem to be stuck on people following "THE RULES".

Geez
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
stanbike said:
There are several posts on this forum with guys complaining how rude car drivers are to them, and how to teach them a lesson, etc. FYI: unless my car is down, I only bike off-road. I don't support road biking just for fun! I'll probably be crucified after you guys read it...

So here are some reasons why bikers should avoid riding the streets/roads:
1) Road maintenance costs money, which mostly comes from gasoline tax. So bikers: you get what you pay for.
2) Imagine what would happen to traffic if roller blades, skate-boards, etc. claimed the right to use roads.
3) Because bikes are so slow compared to cars, and traffic is usually heavy, it's hard to pass a bike. And what is most annoying to car drivers is bikes passing cars on the right side (illegal) when they are stopped at the traffic lights. Sometimes a car needs to pass the same biker 3 or 4 times.
ok buddy...whatever you say...
 

·
sock puppet
Joined
·
8,104 Posts
alcohol - not good... water - better...

stanbike said:
There are several posts on this forum with guys complaining how rude car drivers are to them, and how to teach them a lesson, etc. FYI: unless my car is down, I only bike off-road. I don't support road biking just for fun! I'll probably be crucified after you guys read it...

So here are some reasons why bikers should avoid riding the streets/roads:
1) Road maintenance costs money, which mostly comes from gasoline tax. So bikers: you get what you pay for.
2) Imagine what would happen to traffic if roller blades, skate-boards, etc. claimed the right to use roads.
3) Because bikes are so slow compared to cars, and traffic is usually heavy, it's hard to pass a bike. And what is most annoying to car drivers is bikes passing cars on the right side (illegal) when they are stopped at the traffic lights. Sometimes a car needs to pass the same biker 3 or 4 times.
dude - you are full of $hit... i am not even going to try to argue your stupid post...

you can also say that we should not ride trails as they are for horses...
 

·
sock puppet
Joined
·
8,104 Posts
Darwin award nomination...

stanbike said:
You're right that bikes don't damage the pavement in any significant way. What I meant is that if one expects separate bike lanes than somobedy needs to shell out the cash. Do bike riders do it? Otherwise, if bikes simply squeeze into normal car lanes, they slow down the car trafic. Drivers don't like to be slowed down, do they?
i need a seconder...

"Drivers don't like to be slowed down, do they"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
bikes dont cause traffic....

I think this brings up more of a social isssue, this world needs to stop building the world according to the car! Look at the 'strip malls', instead of parking and going into a mall, I see people go into one store, get back in their car, drive to the other side of the parking lot and go into another store!! Lazy bastards!
And to say bikes cause traffic? If you cant pass a bicycle within your lane(there is ample room) I dont think you should be driving (.02), second blaming anyone else except for the drivers themselves for traffic is ridiculous. Ever see a car stop (or at least attempt) to stop at a yellow light anymore? So while drivers at the intersection with an advanced green, now have to wait for the intersection to clear (backing up traffic!) Or when was the last time you saw anyone let someone merge in? Better yet when was the last time you saw someone raise their hand as a gesture of thanks for letting them into a lane?
I have seen many gestures but none of thanks!! There is no respect on the roads anymore and in my opinion thats what causes traffic...not bikes or bikers

Happy freakin new year! Should not rant with a hangover--it hurts

New years res.: to bike into work more often this year, yknow just to slow traffic down!

Cheers all...hope you have a great new year with lots of long sunny days!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,678 Posts
skihillguy said:
Actually Jm wasn't there some sort of squabble a few years back about rollerblades on the road vs the sidewalk???
that, and skateboards too

it does raise a good question, however...with so many ways that people use to get around, there is no nway to keep everyone happy. If everyone follows the trafic patterns, does nothing unexpected, and keeps an eye out for the others on the road, everything moves smoothly...its only when something unexpected happens that causes the problems. Thats probably why I no longer use the bike paths in Toronto...they're mixed-use with the walkers and rollerbladers taking up most of the path, going in different directions, and having people cross them without looking...its safer on the streets

anyway, is back to skiing, then maybe a road ride before dark

happy new year
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JM01 said:
that, and skateboards too
...
Thats probably why I no longer use the bike paths in Toronto...they're mixed-use with the walkers and rollerbladers taking up most of the path, going in different directions, and having people cross them without looking...its safer on the streets
I wonder how your attitude about sharing bike paths with walkers and rollerbladers is different from my lack of enthusiasm about cars sharing streets with bikes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,013 Posts
smiley said:
I think this brings up more of a social isssue, this world needs to stop building the world according to the car! Look at the 'strip malls', instead of parking and going into a mall, I see people go into one store, get back in their car, drive to the other side of the parking lot and go into another store!! Lazy bastards!
And to say bikes cause traffic? If you cant pass a bicycle within your lane(there is ample room) I dont think you should be driving (.02), second blaming anyone else except for the drivers themselves for traffic is ridiculous. Ever see a car stop (or at least attempt) to stop at a yellow light anymore? So while drivers at the intersection with an advanced green, now have to wait for the intersection to clear (backing up traffic!) Or when was the last time you saw anyone let someone merge in? Better yet when was the last time you saw someone raise their hand as a gesture of thanks for letting them into a lane?
I have seen many gestures but none of thanks!! There is no respect on the roads anymore and in my opinion thats what causes traffic...not bikes or bikers

Happy freakin new year! Should not rant with a hangover--it hurts

New years res.: to bike into work more often this year, yknow just to slow traffic down!

Cheers all...hope you have a great new year with lots of long sunny days!
HERE HERE! Smiley for Pres! (your first paragraph) :D

Ah, society! It's always rewarding to see the bike parking lots they have oversea's. It shows me there's hope for people afterall.

Blame it on the gov't! ;) :p :D :rolleyes: :eek: ;) They're the moron's that call the shots regardless of what we say anyways. :rolleyes:

Hope your feeling better soon, smiley. Get some fresh air. ;)

Happy New Year all!!!!!! Make treads (and trails), not war.
 

·
Space for rent...
Joined
·
1,012 Posts
stanbike.....

.....this fish ain't biting. Nice try though.

PS Try experiencing the sensation of a truck mirror missing your head by 2 feet at 50km/hr, and then come back and talk.
 

·
NormalNorm
Joined
·
935 Posts
Steve F said:
.....this fish ain't biting. Nice try though.

PS Try experiencing the sensation of a truck mirror missing your head by 2 feet at 50km/hr, and then come back and talk.
Well said. Perfect. I couldn't have said it any better!!!
 

·
Misfit Psycles
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
cars suck. the north american obsession with cars and convenience (above all) sucks more. i hope that the price of gas hits $3/litre and all members of the bitter cars first society enjoy the roads all to themselves...and if the price of gas doesn't slow you down i bet the abondoned cars will.

maybe Canada should consider invading Taiwan to protect our access to bicycle resources...

no that would be silly...
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top