Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some advice on a road bike. Basically I want to buy a new road bike for conditioning and to save the tread on my mt bike. I wore down the tires on my mt bike a lot last year riding on the road. I have been looking at the Trek 1200 and the Giant OCR 2. That is about the price I was lookin to spend on a road bike. I don't plan on racing or anything like that, like I said just for conditioning and to make my road riding a little more enjoyable. Which bike does everyone think will give me more bang for buck or does anyone have any other suggestions? It is finally getting nice out here again and i am itching for a ride whether it be road or trail. the other bike I was looking at was a Trek 1500 but I figure I can just upgrade components if i want to save weight in the future and save some dollars at this point. thanks in advance for all of your help.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You might wanna go ask over in the Road Biking section. They will know a lot more about what kind of bike would fit than the people over here :)

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
KuNgFuDeViL said:
Just looking for some advice on a road bike. Basically I want to buy a new road bike for conditioning and to save the tread on my mt bike. I wore down the tires on my mt bike a lot last year riding on the road. I have been looking at the Trek 1200 and the Giant OCR 2. That is about the price I was lookin to spend on a road bike. I don't plan on racing or anything like that, like I said just for conditioning and to make my road riding a little more enjoyable. Which bike does everyone think will give me more bang for buck or does anyone have any other suggestions? It is finally getting nice out here again and i am itching for a ride whether it be road or trail. the other bike I was looking at was a Trek 1500 but I figure I can just upgrade components if i want to save weight in the future and save some dollars at this point. thanks in advance for all of your help.
If you are looking for a 'cheap' solution, do what a lot of mountain bikers do, including me.

Get a set of rims and wide slicks built up. When you commute/train, use the slicks on your mtn bike. When you go dirt, just change the wheels.. :)

R.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I bought my first road bike last week, and I have to say road biking is pretty fun. As a matter of fact, I am thinking of selling my mountain bike. :D j/k
Check these sites for bike fit.
http://www.wrenchscience.com/WS1/default.asp
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit/
Some road bikes other than Trek and Giant.
http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/category.396/.f
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm
If possible, buy your first bike from your lbs for proper bike fit.
Between a Trek and Giant, go with a bike that fits you better.

KuNgFuDeViL said:

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
Rainman said:
If you are looking for a 'cheap' solution, do what a lot of mountain bikers do, including me.

Get a set of rims and wide slicks built up. When you commute/train, use the slicks on your mtn bike. When you go dirt, just change the wheels.. :)

R.
Or if you have disks get some 700c road rims built on to disk hubs.

Still not quite as fast as a road bike as the earo tuck isn't there but a lot faster than knobbies.

Stu

·
They say I have a problem
460 Posts
Skip the mountain with slicks...

KuNgFuDeViL said:
I understand that putting slicks on a mountain bike is a cost effictive way to get on the road, but there is no comparison to actually riding a road bike on the road. Last year I did the slick thing and I finally got around to getting a road bike this past spring. Riding the road bike is a night and day difference when compared to the mountain bike. I can ride faster and longer on the road bike and it is a lot more enjoyable. To my amazement I also feel a lot less beat up riding the road bike over the mountain bike. I guess the frame is designed to absorb the vibrations from the road while the mountain bike frame isn't. I got myself a Specialized Roubaix and I couldn't be happier about my decision. As the other poster stated, you should head over to the Road Bike Review site and query those guys. They have a wealth of knowledge just same as the guys here. Whatever bike you choose just remember that proper fit is so important with a road bike, so test ride!!

Rich

·
Registered
721 Posts
Trek 1200

I just bought a used one for $150.00....its a 1992 model, though. :D A great deal, nonethless. Less than $100.00 in parts and I hit the road. Its great being able to get a ride in right after a rain storm instead of lamenting the swampy trail conditions.

As previous posters have noticed, a road bike is significantly different from a mtb with slicks. For one, a road bike is much lighter. For two, it feels much more responsive in my opinion. I feel like I'm flying up the hills, and descending is kind of scary....

One thing I would point out is that the fit is much different, or at least it feels that way to me. I still need to make some adjustments, but I feel like a noobie all over again - butt pain, back pain, hands hurt from riding on the hoods, etc. Its getting better, just like when I started riding my mtb seriously for the first time. Overall, though, its a more "aero" position so there are some differences.

·
Penis Goat!
804 Posts
Don't worry about "bang for buck," worry about fit. Proper fitting on a road bike is crucial, or you'll hate every second you're riding it.

Get a proper fitting at a bike shop, you'll thank yourself later.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
KuNgFuDeViL said:
Just looking for some advice on a road bike. Basically I want to buy a new road bike for conditioning and to save the tread on my mt bike. I wore down the tires on my mt bike a lot last year riding on the road.
Heh - sounds like one of my justifications. A $1000 solution to a $50 problem. ;)

KuNgFuDeViL said:
I have been looking at the Trek 1200 and the Giant OCR 2. That is about the price I was lookin to spend on a road bike. I don't plan on racing or anything like that, like I said just for conditioning and to make my road riding a little more enjoyable. Which bike does everyone think will give me more bang for buck or does anyone have any other suggestions? It is finally getting nice out here again and i am itching for a ride whether it be road or trail. the other bike I was looking at was a Trek 1500 but I figure I can just upgrade components if i want to save weight in the future and save some dollars at this point. thanks in advance for all of your help.
#1 - make sure it FITS. Try to find a shop that will do a precise fit for you. Most of the better shops will roll the $50 cost into the purchase price of a new bike. 1cm of difference can be a LOT on a road bike.

I would personally recommend spending the extra $200 for the 1500 or the OCR1. It will cost WAY more than that to upgrade those components later.

There are a lot of good bikes out there. Check out Fuji's lineup as well. They don't have the brand name punch, but are consistently rated one of the best "bang-for-buck" bikes.

I bought my first roadie as an off-season alternative to MTB 4 years ago, and ended up putting about 2000 miles on my second roadie last year. Now I am doing weekly roadie rides, have a 400 mile roadie tour this summer, and plan on at least trying one roadie race this year. It can be just as fun as MTB in a different way, and the training aspect makes an unbelievable difference..

Edit -->> check out SCOTT's new road bike lineup. They have some aluminum bikes that are in your price range, and they are sweet looking machines.

·
I need a new name
906 Posts
I bought a road bike in December for the same reasons you are looking for one. Don't be afraid to shop the used market. I bought 5 year old GT with a steel frame for $250. Lucky for me the guy bought it, then got lazy and only rode it twice. Sure it isn't Dura-Ace equiped but it does the job for me. I thought about trying to buy a wheelset for my mountain bike for slicks but this bike cost about the same amount. Road riding is a different world, I like it for training but that is about it. Watch out for cars.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
KuNgFuDeViL said:
fit is of course important, but if you have access to try one, I have a brand new (1 ride) Jamis Comet for sale.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the advice. I am going down to the bike shops this afternoon to test ride them both again to see which one fits best. I am actually kind of excited to get out and do some road biking, is there something wrong with me?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ultimately decided on a Schwinn Super Sport GSX. Pretty sure that is what it is. Got it from a friend of a friend for $350 with shoes. Fits nice and was lighter than either of the other bikes I would have bought at the local bike shop for at least $500 less. Couple years old great condition and didn't get a lot of use, I am sure I will give it quite a bit of use however. Can't wait to take it out tomorrow afternoon if it is nice out, short day of work! Enough of this road bike talk, I know I should have listed this on the other forum, but I wanted to see what you all road since Mt. Biking is my preferred ride. I won't do it again, heh.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
KuNgFuDeViL said:
I ultimately decided on a Schwinn Super Sport GSX. Pretty sure that is what it is. Got it from a friend of a friend for $350 with shoes. Fits nice and was lighter than either of the other bikes I would have bought at the local bike shop for at least $500 less. Couple years old great condition and didn't get a lot of use, I am sure I will give it quite a bit of use however. Can't wait to take it out tomorrow afternoon if it is nice out, short day of work! Enough of this road bike talk, I know I should have listed this on the other forum, but I wanted to see what you all road since Mt. Biking is my preferred ride. I won't do it again, heh.
Probably one of the 2001 Closeouts? They were practically giving those away when Schwinn went bankrupt in 2000. It's a good bike. I had one of their Fastbacks for a while.

Don't feel too bad about posting it here. There are just as many "Roadbiker wants MTB" on the roadie forums.

·
Combat Wombat
1,621 Posts
Join the club....

KuNgFuDeViL said:
Actually most mountainbikers I know, ride road and dirt. To get the most out of it, a roadbike is definately the way to go. First, like so many others have already pointed out, fit is everything. Being that you are new, a roadbike is going to feel very different than what you are used to, not uncomfortable, just different. This being the case, it will be hard for you to judge proper fit by a short test ride. If you can, get a fit kit done. Most bike shops will roll the cost of this into the bike if you buy at their shop. Also, take what the LBS's tell you with a grain a salt. As much as we do not want to think someone would do it to you, there are more than a few shops that would rather sell you what they have on the floor vise ordering a bike of the correct size. Find out how much experience the guy trying to sell you a bike, has with roadbikes. I do not care if a guy races pro mtb, if he has never put any serious miles on a set of skinny tires, he is not going to be the best person to give you advise on what will work for you. Try as many different makes as possible. Different makes can feel very different, even though they are both labeled as the same size. And on that note, do not assume because a 54cm Trek fits you, 54cm is going to be the correct size for all other makes of bikes.
The Giant OCR2 and Trek 1200 are both similary equiped and close in price. It comes down to looks and how they feel. I personally find compact frames a real eyesore, but I know a lot of riders that love them. Again like someone else pointed out if you like the Trek, I would get the 1500. The intial couple hundred dollars that it cost over the 1200, will cost you about 2 to 3 times that to upgrade to later on.

Brian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts