Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm training with a new group towards a 100k MTB race in october. Some of these guys regularly train on the road and last week I joined them for a 80 km ride on a borrowed bike.
Boy! what a feeling! :D after that, on our regular off road flat training session I really noticed an improvement on my pedaling, strenght...etc.
I realize that one single training day on a road bike doesn't make a huge difference on my overall performance; but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to buy my very own RB. :ihih:

·
Registered
692 Posts
unfortunately I think its what you have to do if you want to win Races. I plan on getting one this off season so I can train next spring on it. I also will be getting a power meter of some kind to go with it

·
I'm a unitard!
1,514 Posts
mtbnewguy said:
I'm training with a new group towards a 100k MTB race in october. Some of these guys regularly train on the road and last week I joined them for a 80 km ride on a borrowed bike.
Boy! what a feeling! :D after that, on our regular off road flat training session I really noticed an improvement on my pedaling, strenght...etc.
I realize that one single training day on a road bike doesn't make a huge difference on my overall performance; but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to buy my very own RB. :ihih:
Absolutely.:thumbsup: I spend most of my time on the road bike. I know a lot of people will scoff at that, but it has made me faster on the mountain bike.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
mtbnewguy said:
but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to buy my very own RB. :ihih:
Great idea. Just about every MTB racer I know has a road bike.

Here's some positivies:
1. Can ride right from your door step.
2. Easy to ride when you don't feel like packing the car for going to the TH
3. Can control your ride intensity when doing heart rate or power training
4. Get a big jump on the season when trails are covered in snow.
5. Can do some road races, crit series, time trial series, road group rides, etc. before MTB races start.
6. Great for recovery rides

Some Negatives:
1. Can be a little boring when done too often: but when bored, go MTB.
2. This is a big one for me: lack of high altitude exposure. I broke my MTB frame and when I started MTB racing again, a lot of races where at the ski resorts. The thin air got me a bit due to only road riding.
3. Riding positions differ a bit. Hard to match them exactly especially since my road cranks are 2.5mm shorter.
4. Dealing with traffic. I live by a rural area, so it's not a problem.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Another huge biggie..

With the volumn of riding needed for most to race successfully, a roadie saves tons of wear and tear on the rider, drivetrain, and the bike in general. This is huge regarding recovering quicker between sessions..going thru highend drivetrain parts like mad..and keeping ones front line race bike fresh and ready.

Also opens up a whole new world of "trails" regarding traditional or established roadie loops in most areas. Keeps you from getting that much more burned out on the closer trails to ones home.

Bonus:If you've got big mtns around, a roadie makes you use bigger gears..as well as long stints while out of the saddle(a "must-have" ability in ones race arsenal imho). Long rides with multible steep 2000+' climbs will make for a strong rider post haste.

·
Registered
335 Posts
A must have for the serious racer...

I bought one about a month or so ago. Already seeing gains in my climbing and endurance.
A team mate of mine has been ahead of me all year up until recently.
Now that I've been putting in serious mileage and spending 80%+ of my training time on the RB I've already caught him and am at the point of being able to beat him...unheard of only 2-3 months ago.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I haven't had the cash to make a RB a reality. But, I did have enough $$ to buy a second set of light weight rims ($100), cassette, and Specialized 1.25" Fatboy Slicks. I do my "road" training on that set-up. It just takes two minutes to swap out the wheels depending on what type of riding I'm planning to do. It's not as light as a Road Bike, but it still moves pretty quick.

And it's more fun passing roadies on a MTB with slicks... :ihih:

·
Registered
126 Posts
As mentioned before, the RB is a must if you plan on doing well.
Rather than restate what others have already mentioned, I'll just sum it up this way.
While racing in the sport class, I got bitten by the rd bug. I raced enough to move up to Cat. IV.
I still mtn biked and raced but split my time pretty evenly between rd races/crits and mtn races. Before long an average day racing the mtb was top 5, a good day was podium and a great day was the top step of the podium.
Then I upgraded..........Well, lets just say those Vet Experts do a lot of rd training too... a lot more ;)

·
Why so uptite?
975 Posts
pick up a road bike and don't look back. i now have several roadbikes. One is just for nice days (custom Strong Racing Steel frame) and one for shitty/wet days (custom steel Waterford) and one for use in the winter when the roads are crap (aluminum Specialized).

·
Registered
44 Posts
[QUOTE="Special"ized]I'll say just swap rims, and tires on your mtb.! Ready to ride!!![/QUOTE]

I'm experimenting with that right now. Bought a set of Specialized Fat Boys - felt pretty good to me. I have an old school Mongoose Hilltopper whose frame resembles a road bike -plus it's a rigid fork. I haven't bought rims yet, but that may be my next step.

I have some road bikes in mind, but can't afford one at this time.

Mike

·
Why so uptite?
975 Posts
lydoss said:
I'm experimenting with that right now. Bought a set of Specialized Fat Boys - felt pretty good to me. I have an old school Mongoose Hilltopper whose frame resembles a road bike -plus it's a rigid fork. I haven't bought rims yet, but that may be my next step.

I have some road bikes in mind, but can't afford one at this time.

Mike
If money is tight then get a set of slicks. The specialized fat boys or the ritchy tom slicks. I had better luck with the tom slicks and they seemed to have better grip on wet road surfaces.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just bought a road bike last month. I never thought I would like it but I do. I definately feel the difference on the trails :thumbsup:

·
Registered
776 Posts
I say get a cyclocross bike. It'll have all the gear you can stand on the road unless you do serious group rides with real road racers, downhill. It'll be good on the less rocky and rooty singletrack. It'll go like the bomb on powerline and fire roads. You can set it up a bit more like your mtb and you can race 'cross in the winter and get to be a real bada$$.

The cross bike was the best bike buy of my life.

Ron

·
Registered
659 Posts
The 'cross bike is a good compromise. I do a lot of training on that but most of my road training is on a second mtb with semislicks. Here in the Motor City riding on the paved roads can be a little scary but I live far enough out that we have many miles of dirt roads to train on. Since a majority of my racing is of the endurance variety it is good to train on a bike with a similar setup. Last week I took the mtb out in the boonies on mostly paved roads for 177 miles. Many of my friends regularly put in 80-100 mile training rides on their mtb's.

·
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the input...

Actually I don't see it as an unfortunate event, in this part of the country we enjoy nice cycling weather year round and some of the farming roads nearby are actually very pleasant to ride by. :smilewinkgrin:
I guess just the fact that you're pedaling on larger chainrings improves your overall efficiency/ strenght once back on the MTB… swapping rims and tires is ok, but will probably work against me in going for over 120 km distances. Cyclocross???... I don't know... :skep:
Cash is sparse right now around the household, but I'm patient enough to wait for the bearded guy in the red suit. Hehe. :devil: <<(the other guy in a red suit).
If there's interest I'll share some of my initial choices with you, to see what suggestions you have.
And to kill some time in the meantime.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts