Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a road bike for training and maybe commuting once in a while. How does the sizing compare in relation to a mtb? I'm only 5'8 and feel good on most 17" mtbs. What size road bike should I be looking at? Most sizing charts I've seen say around 50-52cm but I'm looking for info from people that actually ride both kinds of bikes.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,198 Posts
dunerinaz said:
I'm thinking about getting a road bike for training and maybe commuting once in a while. How does the sizing compare in relation to a mtb? I'm only 5'8 and feel good on most 17" mtbs. What size road bike should I be looking at? Most sizing charts I've seen say around 50-52cm but I'm looking for info from people that actually ride both kinds of bikes.
That sounds about right but just like a MTB you really have to throw a leg over it and take it for a ride . FWIW , road bike sizing is much more critical than with a MTB , really gotta make sure you get it right .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,785 Posts
dunerinaz said:
I'm thinking about getting a road bike for training and maybe commuting once in a while. How does the sizing compare in relation to a mtb? I'm only 5'8 and feel good on most 17" mtbs. What size road bike should I be looking at? Most sizing charts I've seen say around 50-52cm but I'm looking for info from people that actually ride both kinds of bikes.
http://www.ebicycles.com/bicycle-tools/frame-sizer/road-bike?clear=1

Pretty sure I'm riding a 54 Specialized Roubaix and I'm 5-9. Do not see the frame labeled but I know it's not any bigger. My dirt ride is a med - 17 Ventana El Rey.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
I'm 5'7" and I ride a 52cm. You'll diffently need to go to your LBS just like AZ.MTNS suggested and try the different types of road bikes. You'll have the racing, communting and touring bikes and each of the geometries will be different just like in mountain bikes where you have XC, AM and Downhill. Good Luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
Just today I did a Google search on road bike sizing. I am 5' 8 1/2" with 30 1/2" legs. It told me I am a size 53cm but I agree to check with the pros and then ride some bikes to verify.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
I ride both,I'm 5'8". I ride a medium klein mtb,around 17-18. I have 2 road bikes,one is a 52,the other is a 53.You will be in the 51-53 tops range most likely.Like others have said fit is a little more critical on a road bike,standover height,stem length and angle etc..

If you buy one from a shop they usually fit you for free,if you go used don't go over 53,also a crank length of 170-172.5 would be appropriate,I ride 172.5,fwiw.
 

·
pedaller
Joined
·
2,400 Posts
trb2929 said:
Pretty sure I'm riding a 54 Specialized Roubaix and I'm 5-9. My dirt ride is a med - 17...
+1 :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,025 Posts
trb2929 said:
http://www.ebicycles.com/bicycle-tools/frame-sizer/road-bike?clear=1

Pretty sure I'm riding a 54 Specialized Roubaix and I'm 5-9. Do not see the frame labeled but I know it's not any bigger. My dirt ride is a med - 17 Ventana El Rey.
That E-bicycles link is very messed up regarding road bike sizing. It really is not even in the ballpark for most people (I put my measurements in and it was 5 sizes off :eekster: )

Best advice is to go to a REPUTABLE shop that sells tons of road bikes, offers professional fits and get the right size the first time. It is totally worth the $100 to get the right fit on a road bike and not mess around trying to do it yourself or asking a bunch of people on the internet. Everyone is built different (torso arm and leg length, chest width, femur length, etc) and the only way to tell what a good starting point for a road bike is to get measured (that goes for cranks, stem length, saddle height, etc). Also - have the shop set your bike up for you.

Road bike fit is a lot more important that mtb fit. On mtb rides people ride for 20 minutes, stop for a while, ride for a little while, stand up, change position, hit a tech section... walk a little, etc. So you are constantly changing your position which hides a lot of fit issues. On the road bike - you may sit in one position for an hour, which amplifies any kind of fit issues on the bike - and makes for a MISERABLE ride. Things like back pain, neck pain, sore elbows, wrists hurting, knee pain, etc. If you are not comfortable on the road bike - the rides are not fun and a horrible experience (which I think a lot of the negative comments regarding road stuff come from on MTB boards)

Anyway, my 2 cents... have fun finding a road bike but definitely get one that is set up right for you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
randyharris said:
I had very good success using Competitive Cyclist's Fit Calculator, you'll need somebody to help take your measurements.
I actually have done the competitivecyclist measurements and have them saved on the computer.

This would actually be my first time riding an actual road bike since about 1984 when I rode my sister's 10 speed huffy down a big dirt hill at a construction site and went over the bars and broke the frame :D

And thanks everyone for the advice. I'm still torn as to whether I should get the road bike or buy myself a new mtb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
dunerinaz said:
I actually have done the competitivecyclist measurements and have them saved on the computer.

This would actually be my first time riding an actual road bike since about 1984 when I rode my sister's 10 speed huffy down a big dirt hill at a construction site and went over the bars and broke the frame :D

And thanks everyone for the advice. I'm still torn as to whether I should get the road bike or buy myself a new mtb.
I enjoy riding both,it breaks up the montony if you like to ride 4-7 times a week.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top