Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My rear wheel fell of while starting to ride (first two steps into pedals) after stop at crossroad. It happened after 40km of ride. I would say QR was tightened really hard (manufacturer Force), because same thing happened me before with another one QR (manf. Mavic) so I was aware.

Anyone with same exp? Any tips what should I do? I am thinking of using fiber grip for carbon parts once in a while, just putting it between QR and frame. And buying bolt on skewer as well. I am just not sure how hard could them be tightened in comparison to QRs, what they can stand.

Road bike Stevens Ventoux, carbon frame, Derailleur hanger aluminium i think, wheels mavic ksyrium. There is no other problem with bike.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
With a normal QR and frame, this doesn't happen and it should require no special treatment with respect to using a bolt-on QR or any gripping compound. It could be a problem with the dropouts. If they're worn or tapered such they narrow toward the bottom, the wheel can come loose no matter how tight you make the QR. It might also be a broken axle or some other problem with the hub.

Perhaps you could have it inspected by a competent bike mechanic.

·
Registered
17,520 Posts
QR coming loose is an unusual problem, failure is due to a faulty qr lever, installation error, or damaged frame dropouts. Carbon paste or a bolt on axle shouldn't be necessary.

Mavic qr skewers are generally good so if it's not damaged that shouldn't be the problem.

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
If your QR just failed to hold the wheel in place in. JRA situation, either the skewer is broken or you're using it incorrectly. The classic QR design has had no problems doing the basic task of holding a wheel in place on millions of bicycles for decades.

·
Registered
686 Posts
We need pictures. You say QR was really tight. Possibly too tight. When the lever is closed the cam over mechanisim does create a significant amount of force. Are you using the lever to just tighten the QR? The QR only needs to be lightly tightend before closing the lever.

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
I have to wonder if you over-tightened the cam, putting too much strain on the threads, and stripped out the nut on the right side of the skewer. that would take quite a bit of force to close the cam, but a determined person could do it. I would think the camp or the lever would break before it would strip out the threads, but I've never tried it.

·
Cycologist
10,338 Posts
I have a road bike that if I don't get the qr really tight, the wheel will slip out on one side when I lay down a lot of power from a stop. But it has only happened a couple of times, as long as it is tight, it is fine. But it's hard to compare your perception of "really tight" with mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I assure you I have made some research, about how qrs works, after first incident. I didnt put too much force in it. QR which i use had two separate parts next to lever, maybe there was slightly rotation in the position between them or against the frame, i dont know. Bike is now in hands of former professional road racer, he recomended me shimano QR as well as "life behind bars" down here. Plus he will check axle in wheel, its spokes, frame was fine.

https://www.kupkolo.cz/data/tmp/0/6/26736_0.jpg?1421067693 not exact QR but system is same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, seems like same problem - lot of power from a stop + maybe third smallest rearcog so lever-tension worked almost in the worst place. Next bikes thru axle only.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.