Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Ride what you want!!
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last year when I was riding with SMV we had planned a road race with 10 miles of dirt for every 40 mile loop. A couple weeks before the race one of the ranchers on the course threw a fit so we had to cancel.

I'd really like to see it happen.

george

·
Your Customer Sales Rep
650 Posts
george_da_trog said:
I don't know offhand of any major ProTour races that have dirt sections on them now , but in years past a lot of the major tours had dirt sections. The Tour of Flanders was a 200 mile race course with over 100 miles of dirtly-doodly road in the 1950s. These days, some races feature cobblestones, which are worse to race on than dirt or gravel. They jar, bump, have cracks and get slippery when wet. Last year's Paris-Roubaix was 160+ miles with over 30 miles on cobblestones. D.

·
Ride what you want!!
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Duncan! said:
They jar, bump, have cracks and get slippery when wet. Last year's Paris-Roubaix was 160+ miles with over 30 miles on cobblestones. D.
That reminds me, Paris-Roubaix is this weekend..... check OLN for broadcast times.

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
That's a hard climb.

There are a few races in CO that still go over dirt roads (as you can see from the photos). They have a Boulder-Roubaix race that's typically > 2/3 unpaved. The old Mike Horgan Hillclimb climbed Magnolia and then proceeded to Eldora on some unpaved roads, including a pretty highspeed descent. There were also some good races up in weld county with large portions of unpaved. Nothing like rocking through stutter bumps at high speeds elbow-to-elbow with 100 of your closest friends. And frequently it is windy, which brings a new challenge to riding in the gutters; where the gutters are the thin line between almost-hardpack and give-way sand.

·
"Mr. Britannica"
1,818 Posts
sportsman said:
That's a hard climb.

There are a few races in CO that still go over dirt roads (as you can see from the photos). They have a Boulder-Roubaix race that's typically > 2/3 unpaved. The old Mike Horgan Hillclimb climbed Magnolia and then proceeded to Eldora on some unpaved roads, including a pretty highspeed descent. There were also some good races up in weld county with large portions of unpaved. Nothing like rocking through stutter bumps at high speeds elbow-to-elbow with 100 of your closest friends. And frequently it is windy, which brings a new challenge to riding in the gutters; where the gutters are the thin line between almost-hardpack and give-way sand.
yup, and then the Red Zinger (if they still have it) has Oh My God Road and Guanella Pass

·
Registered
219 Posts
That was the Koppenburg Race. Last weekend was a big weekend for racing around the Denver Metro Area. Saturday had the OreDigger Classic Crit Race, which I raced. Some big names showed up for that one in the pro class. Timmy Dugan from Tiaa Creff/5280 and Michael Creed from Discovery Channel were there, as well as a few other big guys. That was fun to watch.

Sunday was the ITT up Lookout Mountain, as well as the Koppenburg just outside of Boulder. The course was a 5 mile loop, with 2 miles of dirt. The climb at the top was .2 with an approximate 11% grade. Cool stuff. I would have liked to race it, but the team was more intent on the Oredigger and ITT. It was a fun time overall.

If I remember, isn't the name "Koppenburg" taken from the Cobble section of the Tour of Flanders.?

If the weather holds, there will will a Mountain Race in Nathrop Co, or the AST Criterium here in Golden.

Gotta love all the racing this early in the year.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Pfffttt....

edit: nevermind; senseless coment begets senseless response.

I will say those "confused roadies" look like they could stomp a whole lot of lack-of-conditioned-azz on the trail. Looks like Jay Henry DID pretty well (ford/specialized team) considering the company. He's a guy that few could hope to keep up with - up, down, all around on any bike! He and Jay Henry won the Duo class at Moab, and they both regularly stomp booty all over the rocky mountains.... and are nice fellas.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
santa_cruzer said:
Any word on the Nathrop MTB race? The weather reports dont look good. I am itching to race on some dirt.
I hear it's a go, new trails and all - but will likely rain or snow!

(I'll be down in sunny Socorro, NM riding for 5-6 hours that day)

·
Registered
219 Posts
santa_cruzer said:
Any word on the Nathrop MTB race? The weather reports dont look good. I am itching to race on some dirt.
Hey Cruzer,
I talked to Tod from Yeti yesterday, and he still wants to hold the race, but it is going to be hit or miss. sounds like it should be really cool as they cut some new trail for the course, but the actual Chalk Creek race will be the same. Tom said keep checking the Yeti Website and the VM # on the YETI sight. He said the race would be confirmed by Sunday 430 am. I'd like to get out there, but if it's snowin bad hear, getting over Kenosha might make me bail out. 2 hr drive, 1 hr to suffer and a 3 hr drive in the snow might not be worth it. I'll keep ya posted. BTW, what class/age ru racing?

Ocky

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi Ocky,

Sounds like we are in the same "wait and see" boat. I live up in FC, which makes for a long drive to suffer on a short course. I am racing Sport (M) 35-39. Hopefully the weather will clear up and I will see ya down there.
After all this road riding, a broken arm and a nasty bout of the flu this winter, I was finally able to get on the mtb two weeks ago. I almost forgot how much I love to ride my mtb. Anyway, I am anxious to get to racing on dirt sweet dirt.
-Cruzer

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.