Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted over on roadbikereview, but thought some mtbr members might feel more likely to respond in this forum:

Hey guys/gals,

Title says it all. I've never owned a road bike, but I've been mtn biking for about 3-4 yrs now and have had the itch for a road bike for nearly 2 years. There's a Tour de Cure ride coming up near me that I would like to do in memory of my wife's grandfather. The ride will pass through the town and over the lake they lived on. 100 miles, supported, ride not race.

I've done 40miles on a mtn bike in a day, fairly flat terrain, but horrible conditions (12hr race on a 2man team that got rained out after 6 hrs, so I got to ride ~3hrs). Anyways, the race is 9 weeks away, I feel that w/ the right training, I could do the 100 mile ride. But I need to buy a bike first.

Budget is right at $1k. Would like to spend more, but I don't think I can justify more to myself and my wife. $1k seems to get you 105 components, which seems to be LX quality mtn bike stuff, gets the job done, pretty dependable, a little heavier than the newest and greatest though. My primary concern at the moment is that since I'll be doing a fairly long ride, I'll need a bike that is comfortable. And this is where I would like to know if I should be looking for a bike w/ carbon seat stays, a cr-mo/steel frame, or whether an aluim frame w/ carbon seat post and fork will be plenty for me. "Me" by the way: 24yrs old, 5'11.5", 160lbs.

I'll be buying from a LBS, so I'm sure they'll fit me fine on whatever I choose, but it's the frame material that I'm concerned with. Right now I'm leaning towards the Specialized Allez Elite (105 equiped) and the Bianchi Eros (campy mirage, and reynolds 631 frame). How does the Campy Mirage components compare to shimano stuff? Is it 105 quality or more like Tiagra? I've got access to what seems like all the major big brands: trek, specialized, cannondale, giant, litespeed, bianchi, fuji, etc... Is there a great value bike I might be overlooking?

Thanks for any and all help,
phil.

·
Premium Member
4,859 Posts
Just a few thoughts and comments:

1) 105 is just fine. Many racers use it, snobs say you need Ultegra or Dura-Ace. Same goes for the Campy on the Bianchi. I would ride both as some people like the feel and way the campy hoods and shifters work vs the shimano, others prefer the feel of the shimano.

2) The bikes you listed are all good bikes and will give good value for the money.

3) DON'T trust that your bike shop will fit you correctly. It seems that only about 1 out of 10 shops will actually put you on a trainer and have you pedal while checking you reach and seat adjustments, swap stems to make sure you feel comfortable, etc.

4) If you feel comfortable fitting youself, take a look at the Supergo Scattantte Bikes and GVHbikes.com

5) Steel, Alumimium, it doesn't really matter. There are great riding steel and aluminium frames, and crappy ones. If you are test riding each bike, see how they feel. A little flex in the bottom bracket when you hammer is not neccessarly a bad thing. One brand you didn't mention worth checking is Jamis, they make some nice steel bikes in your price range.

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
phil. said:
I've posted over on roadbikereview, but thought some mtbr members might feel more likely to respond in this forum:

Hey guys/gals,

Title says it all. I've never owned a road bike, but I've been mtn biking for about 3-4 yrs now and have had the itch for a road bike for nearly 2 years. There's a Tour de Cure ride coming up near me that I would like to do in memory of my wife's grandfather. The ride will pass through the town and over the lake they lived on. 100 miles, supported, ride not race.

I've done 40miles on a mtn bike in a day, fairly flat terrain, but horrible conditions (12hr race on a 2man team that got rained out after 6 hrs, so I got to ride ~3hrs). Anyways, the race is 9 weeks away, I feel that w/ the right training, I could do the 100 mile ride. But I need to buy a bike first.

Budget is right at $1k. Would like to spend more, but I don't think I can justify more to myself and my wife. $1k seems to get you 105 components, which seems to be LX quality mtn bike stuff, gets the job done, pretty dependable, a little heavier than the newest and greatest though. My primary concern at the moment is that since I'll be doing a fairly long ride, I'll need a bike that is comfortable. And this is where I would like to know if I should be looking for a bike w/ carbon seat stays, a cr-mo/steel frame, or whether an aluim frame w/ carbon seat post and fork will be plenty for me. "Me" by the way: 24yrs old, 5'11.5", 160lbs.

I'll be buying from a LBS, so I'm sure they'll fit me fine on whatever I choose, but it's the frame material that I'm concerned with. Right now I'm leaning towards the Specialized Allez Elite (105 equiped) and the Bianchi Eros (campy mirage, and reynolds 631 frame). How does the Campy Mirage components compare to shimano stuff? Is it 105 quality or more like Tiagra? I've got access to what seems like all the major big brands: trek, specialized, cannondale, giant, litespeed, bianchi, fuji, etc... Is there a great value bike I might be overlooking?

Thanks for any and all help,
phil.
CDMC pretty much covered everything spot on.

I was in the same boat last year, however I had the luxury of waiting for a deal to come around. In December I was at a Ski and Snowboard shop in Whistler, they wanted to get rid of a bike they had taking up space of skis n boards. So I got a full ultegra aliminum/carbon stay carbon for bike for $1600. Oh yeah, that is CANADIAN $.

I was planning on 105 components, nothing wrong with them at all and are available in that wicked stealth black.

Roadie purists will laugh at me, but when I am suffering up hills I sure wish I had a triple ring crankset instead of the double. Frame material is not a big deal as the roads you ride on should be smoother then the trails you ride.....

As far as fit goes, if it is a trusted roadie shop then perfect, they should know how to fit you up. I went to a well known roadie shop in Vancouver to get fit up (even though I did not purchase the bike from them). They were ultra cool, fit me up, and now anything roadie I need I go to them.

TJ

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm about same height and weight as you and just grabbed a Trek 5100 for $800...the 2005's are on the way and they are clearing out the 2004's...105 brake/shifter combo and front derailleur and Ultegra rear, aluminum frame, and carbon blades...all the Bontrager components appear to be top notch...never had a triple on a road bike before, but it's nice to have if you aren't a purist or weight weenie and especially when you come to that last ***** of a climb they ALWAYS place at the end of these long charity rides (at least where I live - N.E.)...the only upgrade I had to make was the pedals: stock cage and toe clips out of place on this bike, but for the price, so what ...change to your favorites and good to go. :cool:

Good luck

·
Registered
804 Posts
Steel is a more durable material and will last longer than aluminum or CF all things considered. I also prefer the general ride attributes of steel over CF or AL.

Weight does not matter if you ride solo or relaxed group rides.

Road bikes and parts last a lot longer than MTB equivalents.

There are some good deals to be had on used road bikes.

Long rides are fun.

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
I am helping a friend with a similar purchase. What the other people said is right on. Jamis is good. 105 is good. And I think that fit is *more* important on a road bike, because you stay in one position for a long time, unlike mtn biking where you are standing more and the terrain is always varying.
So get a good fit. Really good spot on have them look at you then look at you again on the trainer.
Don't get hung up on the material, but I do like steel.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you have a Felt dealer in your area, you might want to check out an F60. It's got CF seat stays and fork and is a mix of 105/ultegra with an FSA triple crank. I think its just under $1100, but sale season is quickly approaching...... I have an '03 F65, which was replaced in '04 with the F60, and I really like it. Here's a pic of the F60.....

Dean

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Check out the Specialized 2004 Allez Comp Cro-Mo. Full Ultegra, carbon fork and carbon seatpost. May be a little more than you want to spend but alot of bike for the money. Almost bought one last year.

If it is just a long, organized, and supported ride now and then, you could probably make it on your mountain bike if you can already do 40 miles with 9 weeks to go. I rode the hotter 'n hell 100 miler last summer on mine and got alot of looks. Riding it again the end of this month with a buddy. If you can ride say 60-65 miles without just being DEAD, just ride rest stop to rest stop to finish (assuming they are ~ 10 miles or so apart). Pace yourself early and do the earlier rest steps for 5-8 minutes each. Put some 2.0 or 1.5 slick tires on and pump 'em up! Drink and eat a ton and you should be fine. I do it on a 33 lb Kona Hoss w/ a Camelbak on. I go 6' 00" 210. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts