Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking at getting a road bike for when I want to ride the bike path around here. The closest singletrack to me is about 30 miles away. Was wondering what you all thought of this one;
http://www.eriksbikeshop.com/ride/p...J_Tj0yfg&scid=SearchResults&spoffset=2&s_id=0

I've read some reviews, and they all seem to say it's a good entry level road bike. I plan on going clipless with it, so if you could direct me to some decent beginner clipless pedals too, that'd be great.

Also, I'm 6'2'' and ~ 265-270.

·
Working Man's Toilet
834 Posts
That is a descent starter road bike, you can get better parts on a similarly priced bike if you go with a not so name brand brand (ie KHS, raleigh, schwinn, etc) you pay more for the big boys (Trek, specialized, Cannondale)

As far as pedals go- if you want a road pedal, I would go shimano, link here. That being said road pedals have a large piece of plastic as the cleat and are very difficult to walk in. If you plan on running errands or hopping off the bike at all, I would recommend mountain pedals as the cleat is smaller and less cumbersome. You could even consider Mtn shoes for the same reason as they have a sole to walk on vs road shoes are hard slick plastic.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm looking at that shop since it's local to me, and I don't want an SS. At least not yet. I'm looking around $800 and that was the one that pretty much stuck out to me. Are there any other entry level ones you'd recommend from that site?

As far as pedals, there is a 25 or so mile trail that starts near my home and that's where I was planning on riding. Is there a huge difference between mtb pedals/shoes and road pedals/shoes as far as comfort on the bike, or is it mainly just when you walk around? I want to try out some clipless to get used to them, so what would my best bet be? Mountain or road?

Thanks for all the help so far. :D

·
Working Man's Toilet
834 Posts
From that spcific site that is not a bad option, your only other bike to consider would be the spcialized triple as it has a "triple" crank with a granny gear like a MTN bike, depending on your train, rides and how capable your legs are. Most newbies on the road bike will greatly appreciate a triple if there is any true elevation change on your rides.

As far as shoes go- road shoes tend to be insanely stiff and the only time I am comfortable in mine is riding. Standing, sitting at a coffee shop, walking... not fun. They are ULTRA-stiff.

In theory mountain shoes tend to be less stiff and more comfortable. Made with the idea that you will have to hop off and portage your ride at some point.

I would pick a basic pair of mtn shoes, the fancier they get the more race oriented they are and the more stiff they are, decreasing walking comfort. Example

Here is set of pedals that would go nicely with said shoes.

I am a huge fan of Shimano pedals, I have 3 pairs, the oldest being 10+ years old, all still work like new. The other option is the half flat pedal and half clip in seen here. Kinda like a copier/fax though...it doesn't do either well.

Now Mtn pedals/shoes may get you some raised eye-brows at the bike shop or as roadies stream by in the glistening matching bike-kit combo, and they may be right, you don't look like the cat's pajamas, but you will be functional and comfortable. As Ricardo Montalban once said "it is better to feel good than to look good".....errr or is it the other way around?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking at that triple as well. As far as strength will it be able to handle my 265-270 fine without crumpling underneath me?

·
Working Man's Toilet
834 Posts
I can't imagine it would crumple under you with normal riding. Now jump a couple curbs you may have some problems. Putting it in a trainer and doing interval work is probably not a great idea either. Go to the shop and give 'er a test ride see what you think.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That Allez is a stout bike and should be no problem. If you can go just a bit higher in price, you can't go wrong with one the Cannondale aluminum frames. I think they call them "Optimo" with various component groupings. Dales are great for clydes. As you get less "clydish" you will appreciate the handling of the bike more and more. The Allez is like a Honda Accord; comfortable, stable and handles decently. The Cannondale is more like a BMW; handles better than you can drive it, but is still comfortable and stable enough for a daily ride.

An alterative to the triple is to go with a compact double. It provides lower gearing without the added weight and shifting complications.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I ride an Allez from 2003. Great bike and I'm 250. One thing I did was to put 25mm tires on rather than the 23mm. A little more tire for my weight. That's a decent starter bike for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts