Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Zen_Dude said:
Sorry if this is a repost, I did a search and it gave me a error message.
Just wondering what gear ratio your running on your SS roadbikes.

Thanks Mojo
I ride 44:16 on the racer and 40:16 for commuting with BOB. That's tall enough for me but off course it depends on climbing in your area and how strong the legs are...

I usually only spin and don't go for pure speed with my singlespeed..

JJ

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
I'm running a 36/14 with a 221cm roll (700c x 40 Conti slicks) for 568cm gear "inches".

I had to put a 44/16 with a 199cm roll to get near that on the C'dale. That would be 547cm.

If you didn't know the formula it's... big ring divided by rear cog times circumference of tire equals gear inches/centimeters

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Zen_Dude said:

Thanks Mojo
I've been riding 46/16 on the hills to work around here. At first I couldnt' think I could, but now I can, and I kick ass.

On my way home I know I'll see the Tuesday Night ride that goes from Hartland to Oconomowoc. I'll kick ass on my fixie.

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
I used to ride 48-16 fixed but decided it was bad on the knees and it can be quite painful sometimes on sustained climbs.

I recently changed to 48-18 with a freewheel instead and am quite happy. I've been riding centuries every sunday with about 10,000ft of climbing with a geared buddy of mine and we go at a pretty even pace. He could probably go a bit faster on the flats and obviously on the downhills but overall it works well.

with 48-18 it's about 23mph without spinning out too much on the flats.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Zen_Dude said:

Thanks Mojo
For flat-to-rolling terrain I found that 42x16 worked well with road slicks (or 42x17 with 'cross tires). For bigger rollers 42x18 is nice.

·
Registered
901 Posts
39:15 with 170 mm cranks.

I'm in Colorado. I can get up hills with it, but it's not all that fun. Don't spin out on the flats (but probably would if I were in a group ride). It's near the smallest gear I can deal with on the descents. I'd go with an even smaller gear if I used a freewheel. Maybe a little bigger if it were flatter.

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
S/S gearing on a 700c

I'm running a 48/17. I've been very happy with that ratio. It gives up at about 25 mph. 42/15 was close but it was just a bit small for me, but it would allow me to sit and spin a bit more. I like the feel of the bigger chain ring.

·
Registered
182 Posts
very comfortable spinning 46x17 fixed on 700x23 tires

so much so that im gonna put on a 16t cog soon.. and throw on a 17t (or 18t) freewheel on the otherside of the hub for a century in may

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.