Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode some of the Road 44 trails today, including 450, 8-Mile, Bottle Prairie and Knebal Springs. They had been recently cleared from the big wind storm last Wednesday by Jim Thornton, our own Mt. Hood Trail God, and were in great shape.

But they're starting to dry out and get a bit loose and dusty in places. Get 'em while they're hot!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
I want to ride, I want to ride, I want to ride

We should rally the Hood River crew for Sunday and do some riding up there. What do ya think Kosmo? Yep I'm talking to you too Nate, Jamie and Julie, Karl, and whoever else wants to ride!:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That could work well. You're in charge of organization (morning generally better for us).

Don't hate us if we bail due to high wind. It's that time of year! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Last weekend (7/8) from 44, I rode up 4410 to High Prairie, and took 450 back down to 44. There was only one tree down on 450. I think it was after the first gravel road crossing. No snow either. Some others I talked to said there were trees down on 15 mile though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last Wednesday, July 5, was a huge wind event, resulting in a bunch of blowdown. When I did my 44 ride this week, I ran into Jim Thornton of the USFS as he was finishing the clearing.

450 (High Prairie), 8-Mile, Bottle Prairie, and Knebal Springs were totally clear, except for that one tree mentioned above on 450, just below a road crossing. It is visible in plenty of time to stop, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Meeting Time

All righty then, meet in front of Mt. View at 8:00AM sharp Sunday morning; we'll see who wants to team up for vehicles and we'll head up! I'm thinking Up 450 to 15 mile, turn right on the gravel road and back down 450, do knebal and then 8 mile and go home.:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
JerryBoneJr said:
Don't forget about those of us with a Finisher 2006 hat. :devil:
Wow Jerry! Congrats! I hadn't heard that you finished the race so great job! You must be extremely proud of your effort.
 

·
Respect Your Trails
Joined
·
329 Posts
I rode Surveyour's Ridge for the first time Sunday. Good ride. Although I made the mistake of taking 17 back to 44 rather than ride back on the trail. One question. Is the trail always so overgrown in some parts?

Some amazing views, great climbs and fun swooping st through the forest. Can't wait to explore some more trails up there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
760 Posts
i also took a ride on surveryors ridge for the first time sunday. midday.

we rode 13 miles from the powerlines up 44, and then took the trail the way back. very nice sections, although yes it is quite overgrown for some large sections too. if this is not maintained we could stand to lose this trail.

next time i think i would rather try and shuttle :)

does anyone maintain the trail? is there work party's the go up?
 

·
Respect Your Trails
Joined
·
329 Posts
Were you in the group of 3 guys? I think we passed eachother. 44.:cornut:

sketchbook said:
i also took a ride on surveryors ridge for the first time sunday. midday.

we rode 13 miles from the powerlines up 44, and then took the trail the way back. very nice sections, although yes it is quite overgrown for some large sections too. if this is not maintained we could stand to lose this trail.

next time i think i would rather try and shuttle :)

does anyone maintain the trail? is there work party's the go up?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
760 Posts
dahoos said:
Were you in the group of 3 guys? I think we passed eachother. 44.:cornut:
i was! we only passed a single person, so you must be the guy!

good to meet you! i was the one trailing behind the others. i am horribly out of shape.

sorry about the ticket on your car. oh the nerve of those forest service dudes.

my buddy is in the service and looked at your car and deduced you were probably a pilot. cool. how dare they ticket one of our pilots!

you are gutsy to ride that trail lalone. my buddies both crashed, and i just about lost it on some downhill sections.

you go up there often?
 

·
Respect Your Trails
Joined
·
329 Posts
Nope wasn't me who got the ticket. When I got back there was a ticket on someones Jeep but I have the forest pass, so I was in the clear. I had the black GTI.
That was the first time I've been on that trail. Good stuff.

sketchbook said:
i was! we only passed a single person, so you must be the guy!

good to meet you! i was the one trailing behind the others. i am horribly out of shape.

sorry about the ticket on your car. oh the nerve of those forest service dudes.

my buddy is in the service and looked at your car and deduced you were probably a pilot. cool. how dare they ticket one of our pilots!

you are gutsy to ride that trail lalone. my buddies both crashed, and i just about lost it on some downhill sections.

you go up there often?
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top