Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have favorite one-night trips in RMNP? Just looking to get up in the mountains for a night, would love a good loop! thanks

(sorry for the lack of bike content, but i did get a new 29er .24 Spec "Purgatory" front tire and 2.2 Spec tire in the back and they kick-a**)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sandbeach Lake from the Wild Basin Entrance is a good overnight hike, camp by the lake and fish, about 5 miles if I remember correctly. You know you have to get a reservation, but that shouldn't be a problem since its past Labor Day. Also, Finch and Pear Lake are good overnights also.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
You know you have to get a reservation, but that shouldn't be a problem since its past Labor Day.
You could stay in the Indian Peaks too - we're past the reservation window. Try Hessie, 4th of July, or East portal trailheads.

·
Banned
1,865 Posts
the bummer with rmnp is that you are severely limited on where you can camp

i'd prefer to camp up near lion lake in wild basin, but it's not allowed

at least in the wilderness your limitations are much less and you can camp near places like coney lake (but not too close) if you wish to

rmnp < wilderness for backpacking

wilderness < rmnp for scenic back country day hikes

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
A great one day hike I did is to park at Bear Lake (or somewhere near there), hike up and camp at Odessa Lake. Then the next morning, you head towards Fern Lake, Fern Falls, etc to the Fern Lake Trailhead. You then grab the shuttle which takes you back to Bear Lake.

Its nice to be able to loop it and see new things instead of out and back where you cover the same ground twice. Its only 4.5 miles to the Odessa Lake, so you can add options in (like going to Spruce Lake) if you need more miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
I love hiking in and using the climber bivy rules (albeit I do climb) and go up to the Spearhead cirque behind Longs Peak, above Black lake--go in past Mills Lake, up to Black Lake, then up again to the cirque. What an amazing place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts