Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The 5th knuckle
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of confused on what is best. Last year I did the SR 50 and did hour rides everyday. I think I didn't get the recovery times I needed and it all went for not. This year I'll be doing all 5 of the RME series with the Breck 68.

I'm thinking I need time versus lots of little stuff this year. I've been doing tons of cardio and intervals in the gym since about October. Today I did my first ride in about 2 months. I live in Castle Rock CO and work in Lakewood so I parked at the Plum Creek entrance to Chatfield, rode over to the dam, across and took the C-470 trail to bear creek park, morrison road, green mountain to alameda, up union. It was 26 miles each way. I felt pretty good this morning and good on the way home.
I was planning on doing this every Tuesday and Friday with all my fun rides in between.

Is there some rule of thumb about race length to training ride length?
Are two days good for recovery?

·
Registered
63 Posts
There are lots of theories for training. But this has worked for me. One day a week is a hard long ride- you build up your mileage for 2-3 weeks, then you take a rest week. So if you think your race will last about 6-7 hrs, then you want to build up to a 7 hr ride about 2-3 weeks before your race. As far as the other rides you take during the week. One day should be a hill climbing day, about 1-2 hrs. And one day should be an intervals/high intensity ride of about 1-1 1/2 hrs. I see you live in Colorado and the trails are not always dry enough to ride in the winter/spring. So you should be getting out on your road bike and fighting the wind like the rest of us. I also suggest taking 1-2 rest days a week, and throwing in some strength and core training. Happy training!!!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
There are lots of theories for training. But this has worked for me. One day a week is a hard long ride- you build up your mileage for 2-3 weeks, then you take a rest week. So if you think your race will last about 6-7 hrs, then you want to build up to a 7 hr ride about 2-3 weeks before your race. As far as the other rides you take during the week. One day should be a hill climbing day, about 1-2 hrs. And one day should be an intervals/high intensity ride of about 1-1 1/2 hrs. I see you live in Colorado and the trails are not always dry enough to ride in the winter/spring. So you should be getting out on your road bike and fighting the wind like the rest of us. I also suggest taking 1-2 rest days a week, and throwing in some strength and core training. Happy training!!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.