Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain to me why Rocky Mountain bikes have such poor resale value. I purchased an 06 Slayer 30 (Like Brand New), listed it on eBay with no reserve, started bidding at $1,000, buy it now for $1,200 and not one bid. I looked at other auctions on eBay for Rocky Mountain bikes and all of them sell extremely low, below a grand! I am affraid that I am going to have to give this bike away for a box of cracker jacks at this point! Can any explain why the resale on these bikes are so bad!

I had the understanding that these bikes where made of extremely high quality and it appears to be the case with the Slayer 30, so I am at a lose as to why these bikes don't demand more cash.

By the way, I still have the bike and will entertain any interesting offers!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
What's the MSRP on the 06 Slayer 30? Generallly used bikes don't sell for more than 1/2 of the new MSRP. You can get new models of last years bikes for as much as 60% off (like I did with my Switch) so no one's going to pay over half for a used bike if they're savvy like most eBayers are. If you list it as being brand new and your listing is nice you might get 60% but a used bike is more like 40% of the MSRP if it's actually been used.

Another thing to consider is that when you buy a bike privately then you don't get a warrentee like you do if you buy last years model for cheap from say Supergo that is a RM dealer.

So basically people are shopping around and finding new, last years model bikes with warrentees for about 1/2 so you're going to have to dip into the 40% range to get a buyer.

Then again, I did sell my 2001 RM Edge for $1200 and I only paid $1800 for it new two years prior...I think the trick is have really nice pictures, the bike needs to appear mint and then don't sell it on eBay...go with a free classified ad like on Pinkbike or RideMonkey.com.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The trick is in how well you think out your posting, and how nice the pics look. Describe the components and any upgrades you made in detail. Make sure you clean the bike really thoroughly, as some digital cameras are so good they show every little imperfection and you want to give the appearance that the bike hasn't been too beaten on. Take the pics from angles that make the bike look really nice too, I think that helps. I just sold an 06 Specialized Rockhopper on Ebay and got almost what I paid for it back, after using it for about 8 months. I've seen some Rocky's go for pretty high prices too. Alot of people don't have a RM dealer close by. Just make sure you set a reserve, and if you know someone who has 100 percent feedback and a high number of transactions that will help you a TON trust me. See if they'll let you sell it under their account. Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.