Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Proud 2 Times BOTM Looser
Joined
·
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know whether the old logo RM20's (pre 89 red blue label) have been produced in a 28 holes version?
Or do you know any other high quality rims from 1985 with 28 holes?
 

·
Neo-Retro Forever
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
Nope - 36 hole only, I believe. I have seen some hard anno'd green/yellow label RM20s in 28 hole (came stock on the front of Haro Team Extreme in 89)...

The best 28 hole ones I've seen are mavic 231 and 261's - a little later that you're looking, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,696 Posts
badbushido said:
Does anyone know whether the old logo RM20's (pre 89 red blue label) have been produced in a 28 holes version?
Or do you know any other high quality rims from 1985 with 28 holes?
in 1988 32 hole was cutting edge and risky. Keith Bontrager might have made something but otherwise, no.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
Have a NOS sets of both 28 hole Mavic 231's in argent (silver) and 117's laser etched and anodized w/ceramic sides.

I think if memory serves me correctly...the Shimano M730 was the first Shimano group to offer a 28 hole hub.... so nothing as old as 85 unless it was an aftermarket manufacturer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,079 Posts
Update on low spoke rims

I was just reading a bit in an old Mountain Biking magazine that sparked a memory. There was not date on the scanned article, but I'm thinking it was from about 1988-89? In it they mentioned Specialized just coming out with their 28h rims. This would have probably the GX23. The timing of late 80s is also the time when I was on a ride in Moab with a group including Tom Hillard of NORBA/Specialized. At the time, he was riding on a set of 24 hole wheels.

In that article I was reading, the bike mentioned was rolling on Bontrager cut-down 24h rims with American Classic hubs.
 

·
Proud 2 Times BOTM Looser
Joined
·
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ssmike said:
I was just reading a bit in an old Mountain Biking magazine that sparked a memory. There was not date on the scanned article, but I'm thinking it was from about 1988-89? In it they mentioned Specialized just coming out with their 28h rims. This would have probably the GX23. The timing of late 80s is also the time when I was on a ride in Moab with a group including Tom Hillard of NORBA/Specialized. At the time, he was riding on a set of 24 hole wheels.

In that article I was reading, the bike mentioned was rolling on Bontrager cut-down 24h rims with American Classic hubs.
Thanks for this information, that was interesting to read.
Just this week i purchased the wheel below on Ebay. I estimate it's from 1990.

Why this thread? I have a Hi E hubset I wanted to put on my Mountainklein. The rear is a 36h, the front 28h (! If any roadie likes to trade...)
I'm thinking about peeling off the decals from this non period correct rim.
But this would be a very nice wheel if I'm going to find a Specialized Ultimate in my size one day.

Story to be continued.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,079 Posts
badbushido said:
Thanks for this information, that was interesting to read.
Just this week i purchased the wheel below on Ebay. I estimate it's from 1990.

Why this thread? I have a Hi E hubset I wanted to put on my Mountainklein. The rear is a 36h, the front 28h (! If any roadie likes to trade...)
I'm thinking about peeling off the decals from this non period correct rim.
But this would be a very nice wheel if I'm going to find a Specialized Ultimate in my size one day.

Story to be continued.
That's a sharp looking wheel. GX21, not the 23 would have probably been the 28h rim in my previous post.

Someone who wold probably know more about wheels of that era than anyone would be Ric Hjertberg, who with his brother founded Wheelsmith - among other things. Ric is still in the bike biz previously as director of new technology at FSA, but continues to run Wheel Fanatyk.

Looking forward to updates on the Mountainklein. Radial front, Radial left/X2 or X3 rear?
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top