Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a new ride. I'm 6'1" and 220. 34" inseam. I'm looking at the ETSX but over on the clydesdale board they rave about Ventanas for us big guys. They claim they are ultra stiff. Also, I tend to like longish top tubes. Relative sizes the ETSX has a 23.42" top tube vs. Ventana's 23.7. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
The Ventana might be stiff

but are you willing to sacriface ride and suspesion quality for stiffness. The Ventana's are faux bars with the pivot on the seat stay the ETSX bikes are plenty stiff and are a true four bar suspension with a staight up and down axel path. I would not even look at ventana my self. If I did not like the fit of the ETSX I would go for Stumpjumper 120.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Johnny Hair Boy said:
but are you willing to sacriface ride and suspesion quality for stiffness. The Ventana's are faux bars with the pivot on the seat stay the ETSX bikes are plenty stiff and are a true four bar suspension with a staight up and down axel path. I would not even look at ventana my self. If I did not like the fit of the ETSX I would go for Stumpjumper 120.
I don't understand the suspension differences very much and would appreciate any help you could provide. I have a Rocky (Element) and love it so I'm not here to slander Rocky.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
The element is the same as the Ventana

mrgorth said:
I don't understand the suspension differences very much and would appreciate any help you could provide. I have a Rocky (Element) and love it so I'm not here to slander Rocky.
It uses the same rear pivot location and there fore has a curved axel path that dose not match the front fork. The ETSX is the only bike RM makes that is a true 4 bar linkage and has a verticle axel path. It is the only RM that I personaly like but that is just my opinion. If you like the way your element rides you might like a Ventana but dont decide till you have rode an ETSX the are by no means flexy.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Johnny Hair Boy said:
It uses the same rear pivot location and there fore has a curved axel path that dose not match the front fork. The ETSX is the only bike RM makes that is a true 4 bar linkage and has a verticle axel path. It is the only RM that I personaly like but that is just my opinion. If you like the way your element rides you might like a Ventana but dont decide till you have rode an ETSX the are by no means flexy.
Thanks. I was leaning towards the RM anyway. Now to try and afford it.

·
livin' large
534 Posts
Another 2 cents,

The ESTX bikes are an engineering marvel and all, but the rear end tends to be a little to flexy for larger (aka clydesdales) riders. I've riden a few different versions of the X bike and the suspension is great, but I would be concerned if you're over the 200 bills mark with the flex and possible durability of the frame

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Johnny Hair Boy said:
Pivot location is only part of the equation. Another clyde on a dually here. Just over 6' and around the 195-210 pound mark.

I have owned and ridden several different duallies in the past several years. Some were Horst Links, some Seatstay links. (Bikes include, in order, Diamondback V-Link, Mongoose Amplifier (Friend's), Specialized Ground Control, Jamis Dakar Team, Rocky Mountain Fanatik, and now a Ventana El Feugo.)

In all of those bikes it has come down, imnsho, to implementation over pivot placement. The choice of components, the choice of materials, and fit have all factors I've noticed far and above the pivot location. The last couple of bikes were sold because of fit. I'd probably still be on the Rocky if they had offered a 16.5" with the top tube length of the 18".

I wouldn't rule out a bike because the pivot was on the seatstay instead of the chainstay. But I would rule out a bike that didn't fit right, a bike that substandard parts, or didn't make proper use of the materials. (The Diamondback I had was equipped with a steel rear triangle, made it a bit flexy.)

The Ventana is a beautiful bike, as are Titus and Turners. But by no means was my Rocky or Specialized bad either. Get the one that fits best.

There are a lot of debates on how much of a real impact pivot location makes on the shock board. I've stated my piece here and will step aside, but if you want to read (and read, and read, and read) on how much difference pivot placement makes on a the quality of the ride or suspension activity, there's the place to search.

Good luck,

JmZ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.