Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question - I picked up a brand new RM Slayer '05 for 1,600 out the door. Since I have not yet picked it up, I am now debating whether the extra cost of the '06 would be worth it. I am currently riding an older Cannondale SL-1000 frame which I have enjoyed alot but my fork is now leaking and that is why I started looking. I typically ride fairly technical trails but don't do much, if any, drops or jumps.

Knowing that I would be able to get the '06 for 20% off if I wait until March or April, including tax I should be able to get it for 1,900 out the door. I know there are differences in the components but I am only familiar with the Shimano stuff.

With what little I have mentioned about my riding style, what would be your advice? Keep the '05 or wait until I can get the '06 at 20% discount?

thanks

:confused:

·
Group Hug Participant
1,112 Posts
It's a new frame with new technology. In other words, the '05 is a proven design where the the '06 isn't. I think most RM riders have been desperately waiting for feedback on the '06 (I know I have been).

TScheesy on the Turner boards has spent some time on this bike. Do a search there and review what he said.

Which model on the Slayer did you get?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
2 very different animals.
My 2005 Slayer 70 (19 inch) weighs 28.5 pounds.
There's a review of a member here with a 2006 Slayer 70 (large) that weighs 33 pounds stock.

·
Registered
555 Posts
06 is sweet looking

I have an 06 Slayer 70 and am not happy with it. I also have an 04 Slayer 70 which is an excellent machine. The 06 seems to have a design flaw. The front derailleur can not be lowered enough on it's mounting post to prevent the chain from rubbing on the cage while in the granny ring( it's not rubbing on the sides of the cage). If you try to lower it enough, it hits the big ring. The crank was also set up wrong from the factory. I had to remove 2 spacers from the left side and install them on the chain ring side in order to prevent the big ring from sucking the chain up past the chainstay when I shifted from middle to granny. Also , before I changed the the spacers on the crank arms, it sometimes would not shift to the granny because the cage would hit the frame.

It's a beautiful bike as long as you just look at it. When you ride it, you wonder if Rocky Mountain ever built bikes before.

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
1,555 Posts
bigbeck said:
The 06 seems to have a design flaw. The front derailleur can not be lowered enough on it's mounting post to prevent the chain from rubbing on the cage while in the granny ring( it's not rubbing on the sides of the cage). If you try to lower it enough, it hits the big ring.
My ETSX does this when in the bike stand but when riding the bike the rear compresses enough to bring the chain angle into the proper range. If your Slayer does this when you are riding then I agree something isn't right. Either the front derailleur cage is bent, or like you said there might be either a design issue or a problem with your particular frame with the angle of the front derailleur mounting post.

Karl

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Both of those sound like they might be related problems. On my '06 Slayer 70 I had some chain rub on the bottom of the derailleur cage when in the granny gear and in the 16T and smaller cogs on the rear cassette, but only on the service stand, not with the suspension in sag. I have about 4mm of clearance between the inside of the derailleur cage and the swingarm when in the granny gear.

I changed the rear cassette to an 11-34T and lowered the front derailleur to suit a 36T size RF bash ring on the front so now I only get some cage rub on the service stand when in the granny gear and about 11T rear cog which is pretty extreme cross chaining. I am thinking of switching to an 8 speed drivetrain anyway just because they seem less prone to mud induced problems.

If the chain line was way off because of the spacers it likely would be in a position to contact the derailleur. Shimano front derailleurs can handle a 47.5 to 50mm chainline. My chainline measures out to 48mm, it appears that there's only the E type derailleur spacer and no spacers on the spindle on the drive side. I do have the L limit screw bottomed out.

bigbeck said:
I have an 06 Slayer 70 and am not happy with it. I also have an 04 Slayer 70 which is an excellent machine. The 06 seems to have a design flaw. The front derailleur can not be lowered enough on it's mounting post to prevent the chain from rubbing on the cage while in the granny ring( it's not rubbing on the sides of the cage). If you try to lower it enough, it hits the big ring. The crank was also set up wrong from the factory. I had to remove 2 spacers from the left side and install them on the chain ring side in order to prevent the big ring from sucking the chain up past the chainstay when I shifted from middle to granny. Also , before I changed the the spacers on the crank arms, it sometimes would not shift to the granny because the cage would hit the frame.

It's a beautiful bike as long as you just look at it. When you ride it, you wonder if Rocky Mountain ever built bikes before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.