Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RM ETS owners!
This bike rocks but I have one problem annoying problem....
I have frequent problem with rear derailleur hanger. I'm now with my 6th for a bit more than a year. I can pin-point a reason for 1 or 2 damages (crashes), but no more. I seems to happen when I'm "mashing gears" or just hard on the pedals.
I tried custom-built hangers (from derailleurhanger.com) - same result.
I tried to approach RM - they preached about not crossing gears and not shifting under power. I'm riding for more than 10 years (my 3rd bike) and it's the first time I face such a staff.
Does anyone have the same problem ? Is there some thing wrong with a chain line (stock RaceFace crank and LX 11-34 cogs) ? Does anyone have some tips to try ?
ThanX

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
Are you having problems with the hanger being bent inward at the front or outward (as in having something try to tear the derailleur off) at the front?

I do notice that I get more vegetation caught in the rear cogs and derailleur than I do with conventional chain stays, I haven't bent a hanger yet, but there have been a couple of incidents that could have done that if I were going faster at the time something got caught.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I would have noticed "something" is tearing it off.... The hanger is usually bent towards the wheel and most of the time hits the spokes :-(

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
I have gon through 4

Thats 4 hangers in 3 years and all have been from sticks in the chain or a crash. The ETSX dose seem to have a short rear end which makes chainline issues seem worse. I will say the same thing that RM said you shouldn't shift under load I have never heard of it bunding a hanger in the past but it will chew your cogs up in no time.

·
born again
652 Posts
Rocky hangers are soft and easily bent...Get a Park DAG-1

Oldster said:
RM ETS owners!
This bike rocks but I have one problem annoying problem....
I have frequent problem with rear derailleur hanger. I'm now with my 6th for a bit more than a year. I can pin-point a reason for 1 or 2 damages (crashes), but no more. I seems to happen when I'm "mashing gears" or just hard on the pedals.
I tried custom-built hangers (from derailleurhanger.com) - same result.
I tried to approach RM - they preached about not crossing gears and not shifting under power. I'm riding for more than 10 years (my 3rd bike) and it's the first time I face such a staff.
Does anyone have the same problem ? Is there some thing wrong with a chain line (stock RaceFace crank and LX 11-34 cogs) ? Does anyone have some tips to try ?
ThanX
I, too have gone through quite a few hangers. The Rocky hangers seem to be real easy to bend but better that than the derailleur. I seriously doubt that a hanger could be bent by a mis-aligned drivetrain. I would highly recommend investing in the Park DAG-1 alignment gauge. Works like a charm to bend back the hanger to where it should be. Will pay for itself soon enough with hangers at $15 each. Always carry a spare hanger with you in the tool kit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Love the bike but these derailer issues are getting to be a pain. I have had the bike in several times to align the hanger and from what he mechanics say it happens a lot. Problem is you will have to carry the tool in your bag because when it bends your riding gets full of ghost shifting and missed gears.

·
livin' large
534 Posts
Get the North Shore Billet Hanger Banger!

I have one on my Slayer and two riding pals have them on their ESTX's, they work really well, I've gone from a new hanger or a straightening every other ride to just straightened a hanger after 6 months of riding. They just make pulling off the rear wheel a little more time consuming. but faster than changing a hanger!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ThanX, I took a look at the "hangerbanger" on the WEB site. It seems that it can have a job done in case of a crash.... but I really don't get how it protects from a damage caused by a problematic chain line!
Can you comment on that?
ThanX

·
livin' large
534 Posts
The hanger banger supports the hanger making the whole derailleur/hanger assembly stiffer and less prone to bending out of shape and throwing your shifting out of whack, this helps with whacking the derailleur on rocks and such and torquing the derailleur with cross gearing and shifting abuse,.

They also have stiffer hangers for the ESTX, which would ease your hanger woes.....If they would just make one for the slayer I would be a happy lad :D

Hope this helps, and have fun out there

1 - 10 of 10 Posts