Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rockyuphill. This is something that I may look into a little down the road. I'm just looking into a few ways to cut down on the weight of my bike. I've got some Alligator rotors coming and my new wheelset weighs 1405g. I'm running Shimano XT pedals right now and am thinking of trying some 2 or 4 Ti Eggbeaters. Not sure about the durability of them though.(?) Would really like to get it below 24lbs.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
I'm running 2Ti pedals on 3 of my bikes, they have worked great and I'm about 195 pounds.

I have my ETSX Team down to 25.02 pounds with Conti Race King 2.2 tires (488gms each), you should be able to get an Element awfully close to 24 pounds.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may try the Race Kings in the spring. Would "spring" :D for some now but I just bought a Kenda SB 8 for the rear and Crossmark for the front. I'll have them set up with Stan's so it will be a pretty light set up but I'll give the Conti's a try when these are cooked. As far as the Eggbeaters go, my Element came with a set of Candy's so I may try them out just to see what I think of the engagement of the the EB's.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I may be over-cautious, but I wouldn't replace steel bolts with ti ones unless it was recommended by the designer of the bike.

My understanding is that while ti is stronger than steel in terms of strength per unit of weight, ti is also a lot less dense than steel - so that it's steel that is stronger than ti in terms of strength per unit of volume.

And it tends to be that a ti bolt to replace a steel bolt has to be the same volume - so it has less strength. That doesn't mean that it'll necessarily break of course. If the designer who specified the steel bolt feels that there is enough safety margin of actual strength over required strength in his design such that a reduction in strength would still leave you within that margin, then that's fine by me.

But most people who stick ti bolts in steel-sized holes don't check with the designer.

Anyway, a Rocky Mountain is a bike to head out into the wildersness on, confident that it'll get you back. What's a few grammes?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts