Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan Gerous said:
The chainstays are not symetric so it could be normal. To see if the rear wheel is centered or not, check it's alignement relative to the seat tube and make sure the hub is sitting right in the dropouts...
the tire has not 100% the same distance to the seat stays - there is a difference for max. 2mm
the hub should be correct in the drop outs
but i check it tomorrow

thanks for the hub hint:thumbsup:

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Also note that not all wheels are perfectly dished (the dish is the side to side alignement of the rim relative to the hub/dropouts spacing)... But a small distance off-center is not unheard of and is most of the time acceptable IMO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dan Gerous said:
Also note that not all wheels are perfectly dished (the dish is the side to side alignement of the rim relative to the hub/dropouts spacing)... But a small distance off-center is not unheard of and is most of the time acceptable IMO.
i will check the dish of the wheels at my mechanic
then i have still a problem with the front derailleur an the tires

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Well, some tires are just so big that the front derailleur will rub on them, it's a problem that became more popular with the trend of bigger tires that not long ago were only used on DH bikes without front derailleur. Some recent Shimano derailleurs (latest XT, SLX too I think) have a shorter cage that doesn't extend as far back to solve that but... fat tires, relatively short chainstays and an acceptable chainline means that rub is somewhat non-avoidable in some circumstances.

My Prophet has that problem with certain tires, but once I knew what it was, I knew it was not a serious problem so I stopped worrying, the noise is annoying but it wont harm anything, maybe wear out the tire's knobs a bit...

·
angels get bald too
412 Posts
so after a few weeks full of work ...
today i was @ my mechanic
the back wheel was approx. 2mm out of the middle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.