Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below is the weight for the size Medium Rize Carbon 1, RP23, and BB30 crankset/Hollowgram SL cranks, with seat clamp. If you assume the Hollowgram SL weighs 720g with BB and headset 80g,, then the frame comes out to 2390g, with headset. This is lighter than a Large Rush Carbon 3 that I weighed last year at 2790g w/headset and shock.

Below is the weight for the PBR with steerer tube and stem assembly, 1570g. Remove the stem (at 150g for a comparable stem) then the unit is 1420g, much lighter than the next comparable 130mm fork of comparable stiffness (probably a thru-axle of some sort.

The Crossmax wheels that came with the bike booked in right at 1600g. A set of I-9 rims and Bontrager Duster 28mm rims would come in at around the same weight (and be stronger), or a set of Stans Arch probably even lighter.

In short, this is a ridiculously-light setup, and will build a 24lb bike with ease. Probably 23 and change with a set of I-9 wheels, 4.1 rims (which come in at 1500g even in Lefty build), and other nice but mainstream parts. For comparison's sake, my El Ciclon with X819/240 wheels (200g heavier than I-9), XT/XTR, Formula Ouro Puro brakes, and TALAS 32 RLC was just a shade over 27lbs. Frame was 2890g with shock, and fork was over 1800g. With the Ciclon's parts, swapping out the frame, fork, and cranks, the Rize would be 1070g lighter, or 2.35lbs.

The Rize is one impressively light trailbike.

·
Registered
321 Posts
A good friend of mine has his Rize 1 under 24lbs already. He put Avid Ultimate brakes, Crossmax SL wheels, XTR cassette, and changed the crank to a double instead of the triple. He scaled it at 23.82. Mine is heavier, but I do alot of dumber things than he does!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Rush was under 24, and the Rize frame is lighter, and with a lighter crank, so it should also be under 24lbs easily. I am putting a 1600g wheelset on there (probably Stans Arch or Bonty Duster built by I-9), my Formula Puros, and the rest of the parts will be XTR, except for the cassette. Tires will be Nobby Nic 2.25lbs. It should come in right at or under 24lbs.

The Crossmax wheels are heavy for what they are. My I-9 lefty front wheel built with a DT 4.1 rim is 704g. The SLR Lefty wheel is 760g. The I-9 is probably stronger as well. Not sure what the rear will be, but 800g is probably accurate.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
I saw a bone stock Rize Carbon 1 (medium) weighed on the same scale as in the original post: 24.2lbs

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,752 Posts
Duncan1104 said:
hey yogiprophet, have you measured the length of the lefty PBR vs. the lefty max with 140mm travel?
Duncan, the 140 Max is 510mm A-C and the PBR 130 Max is 506mm A-C. Only about 4mm shorter.

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,752 Posts
BTW, if you're thinking about putting the new PBR on your Prophet, I want to see a picture of you racing that sweet machine. It is gonna rock :thumbsup:

You will not be disappointed

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
yogiprophet said:
BTW, if you're thinking about putting the new PBR on your Prophet, I want to see a picture of you racing that sweet machine. It is gonna rock :thumbsup:

You will not be disappointed
Well I dont really want to disappoint you, but Im not a big racer I've just always wanted a lockout on my prophet. I'm leaning toward the RLC instead of the PBR, but I'd love to have either. I don't really think I could afford a carbon lefty, but I would love to hear that the internals of the new lefty max fit in the old. If I ever do get a PBR and race it I'll post a pic. :D :thumbsup: By the way it would be great to see a picture of your 650b prophet with the PBR!!

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,752 Posts
Duncan1104 said:
Well I dont really want to disappoint you, but Im not a big racer I've just always wanted a lockout on my prophet. I'm leaning toward the RLC instead of the PBR, but I'd love to have either. I don't really think I could afford a carbon lefty, but I would love to hear that the internals of the new lefty max fit in the old. If I ever do get a PBR and race it I'll post a pic. :D :thumbsup: By the way it would be great to see a picture of your 650b prophet with the PBR!!
I was messin' with you about racin' Duncan. I agree with you that the lockout feature is needed with that much travel. The internals will not fit though in your 140 Max leg. If you can swing it, it would be worth the dough.
Here is the PBR 650b Rush. Longer stroke shock gives 145mm in the rear and now with the PBR 130mm in the front. I will definitely race this bad boy leaving no survivors. It is not the lightest race bike by far compared to the 18.whatever kilogram Scalpels, but light weight is only good for very long climbs...on the way down though - watch out :D

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
How much did you pay for your PBR? Do you or anyone know the cost of the aluminum PBR?
Your Rush looks pretty sweet have fun with that bike.

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,752 Posts
Not sure of the aluminum, but the carbon retails for $1400 :eekster:
You can trade in any cannondale "fork" and I think you get $300 off of retail for any Lefty you purchase. It is called the "fork exchange program"

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
According to Excel, the following build will weigh 23.07lbs! I have weighed all of the parts myself, but not yet built the bike.

Rize Carbon 1 w/Hollowgram SL
PBR Lefty
I-9 DT 4.1 rim Lefty Front wheel
I-9 Bontrager Duster Rear wheel (4.1 is no longer available, they recommended the Duster as the next best rim)
Nevegal 2.1 with 160g tubes (may go tubeless though)
Salsa QR clamp
Next XC bar
Thomson Elite post (will go Masterpiece if it is long enough)
WTB Lazer V titanium saddle
XTR rear derailleur
XT front derailleur
Formula Ouro Puro front brake
Magura Marta SL rear brake
XT 11-34 cassette (heavy at 295g, but ti cogs are a waste of money)
XTR SPD pedals
SRAM 990 chain

This should be a pretty ridiculously-light bike. My Ventana El Ciclon with the same parts, but a Marzocchi Z1 SL, XT cranks, and different front wheel, came in at 26.7lbs, both in the spreadsheet and on the scale. Not bad for a durable 5" bike, but not 23lbs, either! Hopefully the Rize is as durable in the long run.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts