Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm testing the available 5" trail bikes and I've hit some of the usual suspects, Fuel EX8, Giant Trance X1 and the Cannondale Rize 3. I'm around 6' and a little over 200 and I'd like to stay under 3k. The Trance pedaled great but I didn't like the high front end and upright position. The EX felt a little more plush than the X1 and I liked the fit better. Both nice bikes but just not what I was looking for. I tested the Rize 3 just for the heck of it (I've never liked the full suspension Cannondales I've ridden before) and I was amazed how much I liked it. At least for me a much more natural / aggresive riding postion, the bike pedaled great and the Lefty was a huge improvement over the forks on the Giant and Trek. The bike seemed much more solid and connected and I liked the full SRAM gruppo. I'm actually kind of surprised how good it felt and I was hoping that someone else could give me some input (good or bad) on the Rize 3. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I assume you mean the Lefty was more responsive and felt nicer to use although it didn't quite have the buttery smoothness of the Fox's on the other bikes cos I've never yet come across a buttery smooth Lefty, even on the new Rize.

The upright position and high front on the Trance can easily be fixed by moving the stem down and getting the sizing right, even take the conical spacer out if it is still too high.

The Trance X1 is loads better value than the other 2 but you prefer the Sram kit on the Rize so that doesn't matter.

So if you liked the Rize better, you liked the kit better go get one. For me I've worked out that the Trance has better performance in some ways such as pedalling better than the others, goes faster, and is particularly good on single track and is better value. The Fuel EX is the fun bike to ride that always makes you grin. And the Rize is generally good at everything.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
All three have received very good reviews, the Fuel and Trance X moreso than the Rize, which I believe is pretty new to the market. I think you should definitely base your decision mainly on your test rides, but like EGF I would strongly encourage you to test the Trance X with a lower bar (and maybe a shorter stem).

Ant

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input! It's probably true that the Lefty was not quite as smooth at the Fox forks on the Trance and EX, but it was a big improvement in stiffness and steering precision (at least to me).

I'm pretty sure that I can hook up extended off road demos in the next couple of weeks for the Rize and Trance (no luck on the EX yet). I think it will be the stiffness and solid feel of the Rize versus the pedaling efficiency of the Trance. Should be interesting!

I know this is open ended, but any suggestions on other bikes in this class to look at?

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
check over in

Passion, look for the Brodiegrrl post, who is testing the Rize. You could P-M her and ask her opinion, she's an expert rider in Vancouver BC.

Jim

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Stiffness and steering is a bit better on Lefty's and I think as you say you've got the usual suspects, the Specialized Stumpy can't stand up to any of the other 3 and you don't want to go above $3000 for things like Blur's and Mojo's so I think you've already picked the best of them.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
not sure why

you'd say the Stumpys "can't stand up to any of the other 3"; the parts of the Trance are nearly identical (fork and shock, and differ only .25" in travel).

Today's bike designs render excellent products that make differences very subtle at best for even experienced riders.

Perhaps you care to tell us why you think they can't perform? I'm curious.

Jim

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
If you ride them you'll feel what I mean, the Stumpy has a neutral riding position that fails to make you want to ride it, they others all have individual things they are particularly good at when you ride them but the Stumpy doesn't, it's a dull bike to ride IMO although some of the reviews that compare these bikes like mbr and WMB back me up on the Stumpy being the dull one.

"more lover than fighter" "ultimately not as inspiring as the best of the rest" those are 2 quotes from separate reviews that I think back me up.:thumbsup:

In a technical sense I think we all know that Trek's various new technologies in their suspension and Giants Maestro suspension far outstrips the old Horst link design. I've actually found the differences between these bikes (not much riding time on the Rize though) very noticeable. I could go into more detail about all the other things that make at least the Trek and Giant better if not the Dale but I'd rather go eat some cornflakes!

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Ah but wait, I see you have an 06 Stumpy, well I had the 07 and tried the 08 for a long time and the difference is very noticeable compared to the Giant's and Trek's, not so much between the 07 Stumpy and 08 Rize but it's still noticeable...

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
interesting...

I've not ridden the others, but the suspension designs are evolving and it's harder to tell what's what. Maestro had last minute changes at inception because of fears of lawsuits on the VPP design, so it was reworked to its present form. TREK has a new rotating back axle thing combined with an active shock pivot, which was originally from the Titus lineup I believe. Cannondale, bless them, has had design fun for years and constantly is changing it, but then, so are most mfrs.

I've been on FS for years and have a good understanding of the workings; maybe I should throw a leg over a Trance or similar. My last bike had outstanding linkage and top ratings, but it's hard to compare to a trail bike.

Thanks for your thoughts, Jim

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
To be technical as I understand it the Maestro suspension still isn't patented in the US, but they keep trying only to be stopped citing infringements on the DW Link design. Do you mean Trek's new ABP rear axle, I am told that is another one from DW, his Split Pivot design although I don't know the specifics of how they got away with it and Trek's Full Floater was copied off of something but I can't remember which, it may have been an Indy Fab, also one of Dave's designs.

People seem to swear by those Knolly's, shame there are no dealers nr me so I can try..

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
You can see Knollys here...

EGF168 said:
People seem to swear by those Knolly's, shame there are no dealers nr me so I can try..
United Kingdom
Riding High UK
Unit 19 Brooks Rd Street
Somerset , United Kingdom
BA16 0PN
+44 (0)1458 449 471

www.ridinghighuk.com
[email protected]

Warning, once you try one, it'll cost you plenty, you'll want one right away. All of us that have had demos here fell into that category.

good luck Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.