Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On September 7, 2008 we will crown 12 Southeast Champions as the US National Whitewater Center and Charlotte Sports Cycling host the Rivers Edge Mountain Bike Marathon Southeast Championships.

The 50 mile race will consist of six 8.4 mile laps of the finest singletrack in the southeast. The course terrain at the US National Whitewater Center is rolling with three tough climbs, including the infamous "Goat Hill".

Categories for the event will be as follows:
Pro Men 19 +
Pro Women 19 +
Open Men 19 - 29, 30 - 39, 40 - 49, 50 - 59, 60+
Open Women 19 - 29, 30 - 39, 40 - 49, 50 - 59, 60+

We will also have non-championship Duo categories for Male, Female and Coed.

Check out www.charlottemtnbike.com for more information.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is not a parking fee "for" the event, its a parking fee the park charges everyone to enter the facility. Its also allows the race participants the ability to utilize nice showers and nice indoor restroom facilities. Would you rather have have overfilled nasty Port-a-jons sitting out in the sun?

I paid my parking fee and I've put many man hours into the trails. If I and tons of others who have put many volunteers hours into the trail willing pay the parking fee, I'm sure the folks that come to ride the trail can pay the fee as well.

See you at the races.

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Overpriced parking?

While I have my issues with the parking situation at Catawba, I don't think paying $5 to park to do a $60 race is "overpriced". Too bad Neal couldn't have figured out a way to just charge $65 so the fee was built in and it could be a non-issue.

I've had to pay "trail use fees" at events before, so the parking fee seems like a non-issue for the race. Nice to have the amenities when you're from outta town and looking at a long day.

Finest singletrack in the SE?

It's a great course, but that statement seems a little off. I'd be there if I didn't already have plans that weekend. Really wish I could make it.

Oh well.

·
Southern Fried mUni
1,126 Posts
My comment was to the "finest singletrack in the southeast" statement Neil not a bash on your race. I take issue with the parking fee and don't ride Catawba that often (haven't been there since they started charging to park and I live 10 minutes away) but that is nothing you can control so I don't know what people expect. Catawba is a fun place to ride but hardly the finest singletrack in the southeast....let alone Charlotte. And yes, we all already know I'm an opinionated ass! :) All that being said, if I was a racer and had to pay an additional $5 for an epic race like this one I wouldn't think twice about it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does that mean you are going to come out and rip it out?

I agree there are lots of great places to ride and race, but I truly believe that USNWC is one of the best cross country race venues around. The trail has a good mix of technical sections, short hard climbs and fast sections that flow. With the combination of the trails and the amenities, its a great place to hold events.

I agree 100% about the $5 parking, bottom line it sucks...BUT I did by a pass and utilize their facilities every time I'm at the park.

·
Southern Fried mUni
1,126 Posts
NBOYD said:
Does that mean you are going to come out and rip it out?
Only if you finally get around to starting a mUni Category. Back in the day I know there was only like two or three of us on unicycles but now there's something crazy like 7 mountain uni riders in Charlotte. Then again 50 miles on a mUni would suck. ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll organize any type of event if we get the support. Years ago, I had support from Maxxis and organized a couple dual slalom races out at Catawba. I rented a freakin Bobcat and rebuilt the course, with a little help from this dude named Juan. I hadn't ever driven a Bobcat in my life and didn't really know much about Dual Slalom racing but it was fun and cool to watch. The folks had a blast.

Maybe we could put on some type of uni demo at an upcoming event. You guys would need to bring out a few obstacles to ride. I'm cool with it.

·
Southern Fried mUni
1,126 Posts
I was at that last dual slalom.....turned out pretty good I think. Added something to the mix from the usual race day. Had the DH going to. I was out there on the uni actually attempting to make it all the down the DS.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'm sure the event is quality, but it would be good to let people know that they are gonna have to pay some money to get into the venue, in addition to the regstration fee. Not everybody travels with cash.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sjanes said:
I'm sure the event is quality, but it would be good to let people know that they are gonna have to pay some money to get into the venue, in addition to the regstration fee. Not everybody travels with cash.
I will add that info the website. THANKS!

·
Registered
16 Posts
neal is paying the parking for you, do you think wisenwater is free? nothing is free there..don't let the fuzzy math fool you...glad to see that neal worked everything out with wisenwater...being pc pays off i guess...good luck to you neal and your events in charlotte...smile...
"NMB Oktoberfest" wink..more info coming soon...stayed tuned...free parking too...smile...
(1-A)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.