Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a fire in Colfax that's prompted evacuations. Looks like Highway 174 is closed near Rollins, and I imagine I-80 may be impacted if things deteriorate.

I was on a ride earlier this afternoon and noticed smoke to the west. That's Donner Lake and I-80 off to the left of the image. Smoke is visible on the horizon off to the right. Throughout the afternoon there was a strong westerly wind in Truckee, but not sure how things look between here and Colfax or where the wind might blow.

Hope this one gets put out soon.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,733 Posts
2400 acres and 0% contained as of this morning. Apparently, they want to make a stand at 174. There are a lot of homes all throughout there.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
from the presser this morning they have 5 helicopters ready to go but are low on truck fuel. Their worried about the dead trees along the bear river drainage which includes the areas water sources such as power stations, forebays and the gravity delivery system. Its also a substancial PGE utility corridor as well.

It sounded like their going for a huge push to day to get it somewhat contained since the weather is on their side today due to an area of low pressure. But thats supposed to move into NV and then high pressure is supposed to move in making it harder to extinguish and will likely send smoke into the BA for the weekend.

Havent heard anything yet about 80 completely closing down but id expect delays due to lane closures for the movement of firefighters and equipment.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
2400 acres and 0% contained as of this morning. Apparently, they want to make a stand at 174. There are a lot of homes all throughout there.
I do not think a "wait and see" approach will work with this fire in particular it crosses the 80. If it get's down into the river canyons, there is going to be huge losses of structures. I also heard the winds are expected to shift today from the SW to from the North. If they don't make significant containment today, expect this situation to get a whole lot worse.

·
Registered
660 Posts
One of my oldest and closest friends lives right there. The house next door burned down. His two sons are fire fighters and they have been fighting the fire back! They have 10 acres with lots of trees.
Got word the boys were successful and saved the home and shop!! Hopefully not too many people lost their homes!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.