Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time ago, forum regular and vintage MTB legend Fillet-Brazed was so kind as to let me borrow his Ritchey Dirt Drop Project. Well, as it turned out, I liked it. So much so, that I set out to build my own.

So here she is, a fillet brazed Fillet-Brazed replica. ;)

1992 Ritchey P-22 Team (full fillet brazed), custom rootbeer to gold paint
M900 XTR front derailleur
M900 XTR rear derailleur
M900 XTR Cranks
M900 XTR hubs
M900 XTR cantilever brakes
M900 XTR seatpost
Shimano XT cassette (9-speed)
Ultegra STI shifters (9-speed triples)
Salsa high rise stem
Orig. WTB Dirt Drops (not specialized, not nitto)
Flite Transalp saddle
Shimano M737 XT pedals
Rock Shox Mag-21 (with what looks to be a later issue Bontrager steer/crown)
Ringle skewers
Ringle H2O cage

·
Registered
779 Posts
i sure like that bike! that color is really cool! the Ultegra STI might upset some of the retro grouches here but if it works for you thats cool. how is the ride?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Very nice Eric, :cool: I have the same Salsa stem on mine. It looks like alot of rise but puts those dirt drop bars in the correct position. Ok, thats it, my next bike has got to be a Ritchey. ;)

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
vdubbusrider said:
i sure like that bike! that color is really cool! the Ultegra STI might upset some of the retro grouches here but if it works for you thats cool. how is the ride?
Yeah, it's not period correct, but it makes riding/shifting/braking super simple and more trail friendly IMO.
At least, that's what I felt with DL's....I've put zero miles on this one. First time out and about will be at Sea Otter.

The color is growing on me. I'm usually a red/white/blue fan..but this is different in a good way.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mwr said:
That's a mighty big stem.
I didn't have too much of a choice. On DL's dirt drop it was a smaller frame and shorter length stem. I mostly felt comfortable on the hoods.
This bike is the next size up and with a longer stem...now it only seems like I'll feel more comfortable in the drops and less so on the hoods. That's fine by me too.

I tend to try and fit into the smallest frame I can. As a result, my bikes have a lot of seatpost showing and my handlebars are much lower than my saddle. So...this will be new for me. Saddle hight and handlebar position are closer to even.
I think the larger size will take some getting used to.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kb11 said:
Very nice Eric, :cool: I have the same Salsa stem on mine. It looks like alot of rise but puts those dirt drop bars in the correct position. Ok, thats it, my next bike has got to be a Ritchey. ;)
Thanks KB!
I'm surprised you don't already! I've always been happy with the way Ritchey's ride. More so than, say, a Bontrager for a NorCal made steel bike.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
The gold is way cool!

You might be used to seeing the red/white/blue Ritcheys but the red/white/blue is just too predictable. The gold bike is very stealth-like. I like it - very classy. Looking forward to seeing it. Is there going to be a drop bar section for the VCR bikes at Sea Otter?

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ssmike said:
You might be used to seeing the red/white/blue Ritcheys but the red/white/blue is just too predictable. The gold bike is very stealth-like. I like it - very classy. Looking forward to seeing it. Is there going to be a drop bar section for the VCR bikes at Sea Otter?
At this rate...there very well could be! :)

·
those are Rollercams...
1,894 Posts
Very nice.

You're amazing Dude!

BTW,

My first thought was, "He needs barend shifters on that bike." Then I recalled Tomes used an STI shifter for the rear back in '90. Of course all this means absolutely zero 'cause it's your bike. :D

I don't know if I've ever seen a Ritchey in that color, again, very nice.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WTB-rider said:
You're amazing Dude!

BTW,

My first thought was, "He needs barend shifters on that bike." Then I recalled Tomes used an STI shifter for the rear back in '90. Of course all this means absolutely zero 'cause it's your bike. :D

I don't know if I've ever seen a Ritchey in that color, again, very nice.
Ha! Thanks! :D

It's a bit of function along with the retro.

My best guess is the orig. owner ordered it that way from the factory. It's a nice bonus.
I'd love it if I could track down the matching rigid fork (if there is one).

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
R, what kind of QR's are those? I have the exact same ones on a bike. Do yours seem sketchy at all? Mine are hard to close, but really easy to open - I keep expecting the wheels to fall off.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Williwoods said:
what is the point function wise of those shark fin shimano chainstay protectors?
All style baby!
In theory they keep the chain from falling to the inside of the chain stay. If you've got a lot of chain slap going on...it's a little insurance. They kind of work actually!

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
laffeaux said:
R, what kind of QR's are those? I have the exact same ones on a bike. Do yours seem sketchy at all? Mine are hard to close, but really easy to open - I keep expecting the wheels to fall off.
They're early Ringle's. I've had no problem with them at all. These were on the Yeti Ultimate...and I've the same thing on both Slingshots...no problems.

Flip them closed...then twist the hell out of them until they're tight. Mine are harder to open then they are to close.

You must ride too hard. ;)

·
Holy Chromoly!!
542 Posts
You sure are a strong competitor in the 'longest stem competition'!!!

Nice work Eric. I still have to try STI's on my DD's one time. For now I only use them on a SS setup and bound to have one setup with the WTB shifters.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.