Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello vintage gurus! I am interested in getting a Ritchey, hard to find but ever since the
the 90's I have drooled over them. I have a lead on a P-20 with rigid fork (not sure of year)and was interested in how it compares to the other Ritcheys. Also, how will it ride compared to my 2003 Jamis Dragon (853 Reynolds tubing).
Thanks for your input!

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
Dakar97 said:
Hello vintage gurus! I am interested in getting a Ritchey, hard to find but ever since the
the 90's I have drooled over them. I have a lead on a P-20 with rigid fork (not sure of year)and was interested in how it compares to the other Ritcheys. Also, how will it ride compared to my 2003 Jamis Dragon (853 Reynolds tubing).
Thanks for your input!
You won't regret it.

I've not ridden an 03 Jamis Dragon, but I'm pretty sure the Ritchey will ride quicker and be more responsive (esp. with the rigid fork). Lighter weight and beautiful to look at.

This lead wouldn't happen to be the one up on eBay right now would it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes! I am drooling and hoping I can win this one. My wife will have a cow! I remember riding a P-21 in the early 90's ( a friends) and always wanted one. Is there any difference?

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
Dakar97 said:
Yes! I am drooling and hoping I can win this one. My wife will have a cow! I remember riding a P-21 in the early 90's ( a friends) and always wanted one. Is there any difference?
Just so you know...it's not a P-20.

It's actually a later P-23. My friend and I both picked up NOS, unpainted P-23's and had D+D Cycles do a fresh r/w/b paint job on them. The only decals he had left (besides NiTi) were the P-20 decals...

It's still a fantastic bike and it doesn't look like it's seen any trail time aside from having parts put on it. I'd have no reservations about the condition of the frame and fork.

Also an FYI, it went unsold at $600 the last time he had it up too.

I still say go for it, you won't regret it one bit...but I felt you should know the real history of the bike (which this seller may or may not know...this frame has gone through a couple owners by way of eBay that I've seen). It deserves to be ridden!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the FYI. What was the difference between the P-20 and P-23's? I think I will go for it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is also another P-20 with a little more abuse, but I prefer the rigid, on ebay, whats your opinion of that one?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Dakar97 said:
Thanks for the FYI. What was the difference between the P-20 and P-23's? I think I will go for it.
Outwardley, the P-23 and P-20 are identical. But there are a few little differences, the P-23 is made from Ritchey Logic Prestege, the P-21 from Ritchey Logic WCS Prestege, probably a few ounces diference. The rear drop outs are different, P-20 has Logic compact socket dropouts https://www.oldmountainbikes.com/catalogs/ritchey/1995/ritchey1995_02.jpg

The biggest difference are the tube angles, P-23 is 74/71, P-20 is 74/71.5, also the top tube on the P-20 is slightly longer. This makes the P-20 a slighty quicker handleing bike.

The P-20 was only available in a tig'd version, released in '95. The P-23 was available in a tig'd and fillet brazed version in '90

·
Registered
27 Posts
kb11 said:
Outwardley, the P-23 and P-20 are identical. But there are a few little differences, the P-23 is made from Ritchey Logic Prestege, the P-21 from Ritchey Logic WCS Prestege, probably a few ounces diference. The rear drop outs are different, P-20 has Logic compact socket dropouts https://www.oldmountainbikes.com/catalogs/ritchey/1995/ritchey1995_02.jpg

The biggest difference are the tube angles, P-23 is 74/71, P-20 is 74/71.5, also the top tube on the P-20 is slightly longer. This makes the P-20 a slighty quicker handleing bike.

The P-20 was only available in a tig'd version, released in '95. The P-23 was available in a tig'd and fillet brazed version in '90
I've always figured Project 20s and P-20s were the same thing. Here's mine:

https://www.oldmountainbikes.com/cgi-bin/bikes.cgi?bike=1609

Anyone know what years they put "Project 20" on the decals instead of "P-20" like is shown in the '95 catalog?

Todd Z.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts