Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just found this forum. I'm still riding my 1986 Ritchey Commando with the origional camoflage paint. I mostly just ride it to work now. Anyone here still have theirs? Mine still has the origional Biopace chain rings! I did some years back upgrade to Rockshox. I truly love this bike but alas, I'm finaly going to get a new mt bike for the trails (that 69deg head angle gets old on steep uphills). I'm keeping the Ritchey to hang in the garage as "art". <g>

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
wmalan said:
...I did some years back upgrade to Rockshox...
Ahhh, the horror! :D Git that original fork back on that thing when you get your new bike. Seriously, I got schooled on many an occasion by a friend on a camo Commando. Really sweet bike. But I just can't imagine what the handling must be like with a suspension fork raising the front end up so much. The Commando was already something like 69 deg head angle with a rigid fork. That suspendo must boost that thing up to something in the neighborhood of 66 degrees - DH territory. Post pictures.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ssmike said:
Ahhh, the horror! :D Git that original fork back on that thing when you get your new bike. Seriously, I got schooled on many an occasion by a friend on a camo Commando. Really sweet bike. But I just can't imagine what the handling must be like with a suspension fork raising the front end up so much. The Commando was already something like 69 deg head angle with a rigid fork. That suspendo must boost that thing up to something in the neighborhood of 66 degrees - DH territory. Post pictures.
Over the years I did some mods that make it very non stock though. In addition to the Rockshox (as was mentioned that baby does have some rake now!), I had a Salsa roller stem back when it was still rigid forks. Ummm... I've lost the origional forks... I'm going to go cry now. <g>

I hear that there was a resturant in Moab that had a Commando hanging over the front door. Someday, I'll have to go there!

--
Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.