Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,i just signed up and was wondering if someone could help me with a couple of questions. I`m a beggining collector/rider (I,m 15) and I`d like to get a higher quality bike,.I have a Kona and a Concorde so far, but what I really would like is a Tom Ritchey, and I`m wondering how they fit? I ride a 19 inch normally, should I be looking for a 19 inch ritchey? Or do they fit big? small? Also, what kind of money will I be looking at? Sorry if I sound like a newb I haven`t been doing any of this long. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Welcome to the forum Klunker. I would buy a fillet frame first, they were built larger than current frames so a 19" would fit 5'7" to 6'2". Just having one is almost as nice as having one that fits. Cost is where you find a bike; Ebay will run much more than a local CL or "barn find". 400 is a good starting price for a complete bike that is mostly stock not from the Bay, look to spend 700 there. Also depends on year, model, ect....I think there is another contender here guys, time to blow the moths out of the wallets.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Klunker-Kid said:
Hey,i just signed up and was wondering if someone could help me with a couple of questions. I`m a beggining collector/rider (I,m 15) and I`d like to get a higher quality bike,.I have a Kona and a Concorde so far, but what I really would like is a Tom Ritchey, and I`m wondering how they fit? I ride a 19 inch normally, should I be looking for a 19 inch ritchey? Or do they fit big? small? Also, what kind of money will I be looking at? Sorry if I sound like a newb I haven`t been doing any of this long. Thank you for your help.
Older Ritcheys fit smaller than you'd be used to in the top tube. A longer stem or wider bars will give you an equivalent set up, but if I fit a 19 inch modern bike, I'd be after a 21 or so Ritchey.

oldmountainbikes.com is your resource.

Ritchey built a ton of bikes, so if you're not fussy or in a big rush you'll find one you can afford.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey, Thanks for the help. I don`t think i`ll be much worry to you Super collectors!;) Ha.
With what I get paid from my part time job and the money i make fixing peoples bikes, it will probably take some time to save up the dough. plus no ebay for me, I`ll have to find something local. being in Canada that might take awhile, I`ve never even seen a ritchey in real life. I`ve been checking out the oldmountainbikes sight for the last few weeks, super cool stuff. I like the commando the best, those things are sick!:D
I`m building a klunker to, but tracking down parts is wicked hard. hopefully will be able to get it together before the snow melts. thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Klunker-Kid said:
hey, Thanks for the help. I don`t think i`ll be much worry to you Super collectors!;) Ha.
With what I get paid from my part time job and the money i make fixing peoples bikes, it will probably take some time to save up the dough. plus no ebay for me, I`ll have to find something local. being in Canada that might take awhile, I`ve never even seen a ritchey in real life. I`ve been checking out the oldmountainbikes sight for the last few weeks, super cool stuff. I like the commando the best, those things are sick!:D
I`m building a klunker to, but tracking down parts is wicked hard. hopefully will be able to get it together before the snow melts. thanks guys.
I worked at two shops that sold a bunch of Ritcheys in Toronto (Spinning Wheels and Bikenergy), plus at various times you could buy them at Peddlar, Sports Swap and Dukes, so take heart - there are a ton of Ritcheys in the Great White North.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mainlyfats said:
I worked at two shops that sold a bunch of Ritcheys in Toronto (Spinning Wheels and Bikenergy), plus at various times you could buy them at Peddlar, Sports Swap and Dukes, so take heart - there are a ton of Ritcheys in the Great White North.
Thats good to hear, now if I can just find one! Even just a frame/fork, then I can build it and add the correct parts over time.
Thanks again.

G

·
Right out of the shoot you are going for a Ritchey, I like your style:thumbsup: Ritcheys run small, so I'm thinking a 20 would be fine. Go for a P-Series Ritchey, you will have a blast, they are light and quick. As you get older you body will gravitate towards the older Ritchey's, little more laidback and slower.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
shawnw said:
Right out of the shoot you are going for a Ritchey, I like your style:thumbsup: Ritcheys run small, so I'm thinking a 20 would be fine. Go for a P-Series Ritchey, you will have a blast, they are light and quick. As you get older you body will gravitate towards the older Ritchey's, little more laidback and slower.
Whats the bike at the front? really cool.

·
Certified Bike Junkie
1,747 Posts
shawnw said:
You have expensive taste. Stay in school, get a P.H.D. and then maybe you can afford that bike in front.
That's provided you can find someone willing to part with theirs. At any price.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
girlonbike said:
A bike most of us would choose if we could only have one.
Yep...

"As you get older you body will gravitate towards the older Ritchey's, little more laidback and slower.":eekster: :eekster: :eekster:

You Dog!

And now it totally makes sense as to why I love the old Ritchey's so much! :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.