Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the difference between the 2?

A few years ago it seemed like the standard thing on Mtn bikes was straight bars with a riser neck. But not it seems like every mtn bike comes with a around 1 inch rise bar and a sligtly risen Neck.

Is there any reason behind the seeming shift?

Is having a 0-10 degree neck and a rise bar better then a higher degree neck and a flat bar?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
basically, besides being a style thing, cross country set ups favor the straight bar by making the rider stretch out over the top tube to reach the bar. This position (not unlike a road bike) favors seated pedaling with full leg extension. The riser started out on more free-ride and downhill applications where out of the saddle hammering was much more common.

Oh and style definitely plays a part of it as well (just like the bar ends trend).

·
Registered
629 Posts
SlimTwisted said:
basically, besides being a style thing, cross country set ups favor the straight bar by making the rider stretch out over the top tube to reach the bar. This position (not unlike a road bike) favors seated pedaling with full leg extension. The riser started out on more free-ride and downhill applications where out of the saddle hammering was much more common.

Oh and style definitely plays a part of it as well (just like the bar ends trend).
Good info.

Flat bars: quicker and more precise steering, stretches you out and weights the front end a little more, more XC oriented

Riser bars: slower steering, more upright and comfortable, not as twitchy as flat bars (better for downhill and free ride stuff)

This is all assuming the bars would be mounted on the same stem, otherwise changing stems (with more rise) is almost like changing bars.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've been wondering also

Does a longer stem with flat bars still keep you in a good seated pedaling position or does it make it better for out of the sadle short bursts?

How does a longer bar / width effect the steering?

Sorry if it's obvious.

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
It doesn't matter how you do it...

Krause said:
Whats the difference between the 2?

A few years ago it seemed like the standard thing on Mtn bikes was straight bars with a riser neck. But not it seems like every mtn bike comes with a around 1 inch rise bar and a sligtly risen Neck.

Is there any reason behind the seeming shift?

Is having a 0-10 degree neck and a rise bar better then a higher degree neck and a flat bar?
It's all about hand and body position and weight distribution. Risers generally are wider, but you can find wide straight bars also. Some people buy an expensive stem and find out that it doesn't put them in the proper position. They adjust with a bar change and/or spacer changes. You can change it with a bar or a bar/stem change.

I use a Ti straight bar that fits my body(width). I adjust with stem and spacer changes, when I set up a new frame.

·
Registered
27 Posts
tch said:
How does a longer bar / width effect the steering?
A narrow bar should steer faster than a wider bar... however, at slow speed the wider bar may be more advantageous because it may offer increased control. Try riding around with your hands at the very ends of your handlebars, and then try the same thing with your hands only a few inches apart. It will be exaggerated since the difference between wide and short bars is only a few inches... but you'll definitely be able to feel a difference.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
what quattro said.....the algorithm of where your hands end up has to do with the stem length, stem rise, spacers used, bar rise (ie, you can end up the same place with a straight bar as a riser bar given different spacers/length/rise combos).

however, for me it comes down to what i am comfortable with subjectively. in fact, even on my newer bikes where one is supposed to drop the cockpit height i just cant do it.....unless i have the moto look i just aint comfortable, period.

for me, i need at least 685mm riser bars or i feel awkward but thats me....

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Ha! that has already happened in the 29er world and to a great extent single speeds in general....i bet if there were more H-bar alternatives (ie, cheaper) they would be even more common.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
part of it is looks.

I think that as long as you get your grips at the desired position, it wouldn't matter if it's a flat bar with a longer stem with spacers to rise it, or a riser bar with no spacers.

What I find is that I prefer wider bars (27"), and most flat bars aren't that wide. So I use risers.

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool :D

Im just tryin to figure this out because eventuaklly im gonna replace my stock neck and bar and the option to go with a minimal/no rise stem and a riser bar Or a slight Rise stem and a flat bar will be there, and i am havin trouble decidding :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.