Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ZEN RIDER!
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at some handle bars & many of the bars I am looking at are 31.8mm. I have the old standard, using Monkey lite 1.5 xc with a 65mm x 15 degree rise stem.

My question is am I better off going with a zero degree rise stem or something less than 15 degrees, & getting a higher riser bar in the 2 - 2.5" range?

I ride a 6x6 & in its current configuration it climbs anything with ease. I'm thinking about going a 50 mm stem as much of the time I feel like I have to push my self back on the seat & the seat is foward all the way on its rails. Although the newer handle bars seem to have more of a sweep than the monkey lites, is this coreect?

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

·
2 minutes turkish
315 Posts
it's a give and take.
You can dial it for climbing and give up some DH comfort
Or you can dial for slack ride and give up some climbing comfort

since your seat is all the way forward, you could throw a short stem on there and still have some room to play with it.

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
I like having the seat quite far forward (inline post)...

It means for climbs you can stay seated and still have your weight quite far forward..

And yet when you want to go downwards again, the saddle isnt so much in the way for getting off the back of it.

Then again, its not everyone's ideal setup, it just happens to suit my riding.

If you wanted to use a short stem to change the reach, a wider bar would be a neccessity, to prevent handling becoming twitchy (shorter stem = faster handling, wider bar = slower handling).

As for the bars, it depends which year/model monkeylite you refer to, and what you are comparing it to.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
dogonfr said:
50mm stem is more of a DH length
I'm going to have to disagree on that one.

Wouldn't the bar/stem combo be personal preference? More geared towards how YOU want to feel on the bike and how YOU want your bike to handle?

surf on over to www.leelikesbikes.com and read his take on stem length and rise, some good info. and opinions there.

search on his site for "stem length" and you will get lots of stuff, or look here for just one http://www.leelikesbikes.com/stems-and-bars-long-and-low-or-short-and-high.html

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
General Havoc said:
I'm going to have to disagree on that one.

Wouldn't the bar/stem combo be personal preference? More geared towards how YOU want to feel on the bike and how YOU want your bike to handle?

surf on over to www.leelikesbikes.com and read his take on stem length and rise, some good info. and opinions there.

search on his site for "stem length" and you will get lots of stuff, or look here for just one http://www.leelikesbikes.com/stems-and-bars-long-and-low-or-short-and-high.html
Yes it is all about rider preference the longest stem I have is 90mm & the shortest is about Zero all on diferent bikes for different riding. :thumbsup:

I have been reading & talked to Lee for a few years awesome person. :rockon:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.