Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I recently switched my riser handlebar to one with a bit more back and up sweep (FSA XC 190, 9 degree backsweep and 4 degree upsweep). Been playing with the fore and aft rotation of the bar and trying to dial it in and get rid of a bit of wrist discomfort I've been having with the bar.

Just curious as to any general guidelines you use to set up your risers. I've read/heard grips parallel to the ground is good while others say grips should upsweep slightly.

Any feedback would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,866 Posts
hkmeup said:
Hi folks,

I recently switched my riser handlebar to one with a bit more back and up sweep (FSA XC 190, 9 degree backsweep and 4 degree upsweep). Been playing with the fore and aft rotation of the bar and trying to dial it in and get rid of a bit of wrist discomfort I've been having with the bar.

Just curious as to any general guidelines you use to set up your risers. I've read/heard grips parallel to the the ground is good while others say grips should upsweep slightly.

Any feedback would be appreciated. :thumbsup:
No real rule of thumb that I am aware of. I have always just played around with different adjustments until I feel comfortable. You may even end up changing out the stem or stack height in order to get the best position for your particular body type.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I'd be doing what you're doing, trying the bar in different positions to see what, if anything with those particular bars, work. Curious as to what rise and sweep did you have on the old bars, and why you changed bars, assuming the old ones were comfortable.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
I'd be doing what you're doing, trying the bar in different positions to see what, if anything with those particular bars, work. Curious as to what rise and sweep did you have on the old bars, and why you changed bars, assuming the old ones were comfortable.
I actually had an FSA XC 190 on the bike before as well. The old handlebar was a 1.5 inch rise with zero spacers underneath the stem. I've been gradually lowering my bar position on the bike and opted for the same bar in the 1 inch rise (the bar had been on the bike for several years and I felt it was time for a replacement anyways).

FSA decided to change that bar this year to the 9 degree 4 degree sweeps (prior to this year it was 8 degree and 3 degree). Even though this doesn't sound like much of a change, for me, it does feel quite different. Just as always, you get to likin' something and companies, for whatever reason, see fit to change or discontinue the product.

Interestingly it seems that several bar makers are introducing/ changing to bars with more sweep (Easton's bars have gone to 9 degree 5 degree, Race Face's newest 3/4 carbon low riser is 9 degree and 4 degree, and Truvativ's new carbon is 9 degree and 5 degree).

I actually tried a Race Face Deus XC riser (5 degree and 4 degree) before getting the FSA and that bar felt like I was holding onto a straight pipe.:p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.