Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is a Specialized Epic Expert and its set up for XC racing. I'm 5'7", and my frame is the 15". Currently I have a Thomson elite 120mm, 5 degree, 25.4 mm paired with an Easton EC70 flat. When I ride my hands go numb after not too long, I think I'm putting too much pressure, so was thinking on elevate a bit my riding position by upgrading my steering set up, I was thinking on the new Thomson 120mm 31.8mm, 10degree rise AND the new Easton MonkeyLite SL 31.8mm Low rise handlebar.

Do you think this will help? Do I need a raised stem and handlebar or would I be OK with just the raised bar?
Thanks for help.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Hard to say definitively, though it's likely to help somewhat. Personally, I'd experiment with the riser bar first before swapping out both parts.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I understand, the problem is the handlebar is a 31.8mm and my current stem is 25.4, so if I get the bar I need to get the stem as well and really don't think I can buy a raised one and a non raised one, so I can try them both. I was thinking that maybe at my lbs they could have both but nope, just by special order, so.....
Thanks for advice Reposado.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Maybe a pal has one you can borrow for fitting purposes? Or buy a riser, and protect it with something (Im thinking heavy bag paper) so it doesnt get marred when you mount it. Return to the store if its not right...

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
Riser bar and maybe the higher stem will give more control on the descents, but to really get your weight back you should try sliding the seat back on the rails or using a layback seat post.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already have a layback seat post, so I guess I'll try to get the raised stem as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Body:
Short torso/long legs 5' 7" with 32 inseam.
Setup:
Bar:Riser bar ea70
Stem:90mm 125 degree rise Dimension sm2376
http://www.dimensionbikeproducts.com/products.html
Seatpost:Thompson setback

snakemau said:
My bike is a Specialized Epic Expert and its set up for XC racing. I'm 5'7", and my frame is the 15". Currently I have a Thomson elite 120mm, 5 degree, 25.4 mm paired with an Easton EC70 flat. When I ride my hands go numb after not too long, I think I'm putting too much pressure, so was thinking on elevate a bit my riding position by upgrading my steering set up, I was thinking on the new Thomson 120mm 31.8mm, 10degree rise AND the new Easton MonkeyLite SL 31.8mm Low rise handlebar.

Do you think this will help? Do I need a raised stem and handlebar or would I be OK with just the raised bar?

·
J'aime le Dunkeld
110 Posts
I used to get sore (not numb, but might be the same cause) with ssv forks after an hour or two. With motion control and hscv forks I'm fine. In that case I think harsh damping was the cause. Have you tried softening your forks up some? Might well be a weight distribution thing like you said, but just another avenue to explore.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Okay, I'll say it. 120mm, holy Shite, that's long. Don't move your saddle to get your weight back. Position the saddle for proper pedaling and then definitely try some shorter stems, riser/flat bar combo's. The lbs should be able to set you up with stems and a cheap riser to try. I'm 5'10" and the longest I have is 100mm on my XC hardtail which is long enough to climb the steeps.

·
Will Guide for Beer
727 Posts
If you haven't already made your purchase, I would suggest two things:

1. Go with the med or high rise bar. There is very little diff between each.
2. Try the Ergo grips. Lovin mine!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts