Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gnarley!!!!!
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's my dilemma. I bought my 06 specialized rockhoper comp DISK in september. I thought, oh ok, it's a 2006, the owner must be marking down his 2006 bikes.

Rock Shox I should have gotten..specs
RockShox Tora 318 SL 100mm fork with coil springs, 32mm Cr-Mo stanchions, alloy steerer, and rebound adjustment with lock Out

Well, after some research, I finally realized why I got such a smokin deal.

The forks on the bike are Answer Comp Splice. The dirty crook must have switched the fork out with my Rock Shox....
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9197

How much did I get ripped off? And what should I do.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
If you're positive you got an '06 (check all your paperwork and documentation and the Specialized website) go back to the shop and ask what happened to the shock? Inform them you want the original shock that was supposed to come with the bike.

Looks like your link is to a British bike shop, so make sure the US Spec Answer shock is the same and isn't maybe better than the Rock Shox.

If it's not and the shop won't make good on what you should have gotten standard, let them know you'll be contacting Specialized about their swap. That might get them to reconsider. If not, follow through with Specialized. I'm sure they don't want bike shops parting out their bikes.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Grey area

Sorry to hear you feel you were cheated, but there's probably not much you can do. I'm not a lawyer, but if the guy actually swapped out the fork, I'm not sure he is obliged to tell you unless there was a description of the specs on the bike you bought, and the spec was different than what you actually purchased. You saw the bike, you decided to buy it and that's pretty much the end. It could also be that Specialized had an issue in getting the Tora for the production run that included your bike, and had to substitute the Splice. There will be a disclaimer on their web site stating something to the effect that specifications are subject to change without notice. It may not happen often, but unfortunately it does.

Bob

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think it really depends on how you purchased the bike. Was it over the web, (Ebay or an online retailer). If so and it was advertised with the RockShox but when you recieved it with the Manitou then that is outright fraud. Contact the retailer and demand the fork it was advertised with.
If you purchased it from a local shop that is a different situation. You shouldn't assume a bike will come with certain components just because the manufacturers website says that is what it will have.
You bought it and picked it up in person and you should inspect it before taking delivery to ensure you are getting what you think you should. If the Manitou fork was installed on the bike as you looked at it in the shop before you handed over the money then it's on you.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'd have to agree with the others. If you saw it in the shop and brought it as it was then there's probably not much you can do.
I can understand where you're coming from though and after doing a bit of research if you don't find anything that says your bike should have had that fork on it then I'd at least go and ask the question as to why it was switched out. Worst case scenario is that someone purchased a different bike (brand or type) and didn't want that fork, not having others on hand perhaps the bike shop swithched out the one off yours - don't know how likely something like that is though?
You said that you got a "smokin deal" on the bike so you can hardly go in and ask for compensation if it happns to be a lesser fork than the original.

I don't think you got "ripped off" and you probably should have done some research prior to the purchase (ahh hindsight is always a wonderful thing). However it would be nice if the LBS would have pointed that out providing it's not fully stock. It's a real PITA that sometimes you have to ask the "right" questions to get the answeres and info you're after.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
"Specifications are subject to change without notice" It protects the manufacturer, don't know if it protects the shop.

Don't always assume it's fraud. Sometimes it's simply that the parts are not readily available, and to get the bikes to market that part is changed.

Do some digging first, and good luck.

JmZ

·
Gnarley!!!!!
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, they guy seems legit. But the thing is, he could have mentioned something about the shock. So the question stands... does my shock suck compared to the one I was SUPPOSED to have?

Thanks guys!

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
he went from dirty crook to seemingly legit?

I dont know much about Tora. I know Splice is specced on bikes. I will say on Specialized site before I have seen blurbs about substituting due to manufacturer delays to get bikes out. Splice was one of the substitutes. I don't believe you to be getting an inferior fork.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Burtonrider250 said:
Well, after some research, I finally realized why I got such a smokin deal.

How much did I get ripped off? And what should I do.
Perhaps you got such a "smokin deal" because you paid the actual fair market price of the bike with the shock you got. If so, you did not overpay. I really have no idea what you were told, but your post implies that you knew what fork you were getting and later found out the more expensive fork came "stock" with the bike. Unless you were deceived by the shop, there is also no fraud.

·
Gnarley!!!!!
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ok, I paid 675.00 for the comp. about 95 dollars less than MSRP.

I am going to investigate further into it, and thanks guys for heading me into the right direction.

I had no idea that specialized can swap parts around on the bike. He said nothing about the price when I asked him why it was such a good deal. He could of honestly and simply said something about the forks. Either way I am super happy about my bike, and more curious than anything.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Chain reaction are generally legit and reputable in my experience, and without knowing the full ins & outs of the respective fork ranges, I'd guess that a Rock Shox : Manitou swap is pretty much like for like. They are probably both similar specs & prices

It's not like they stuck an RST or no-name fork on.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I can tell you about the Tora 318 SL, it's a pretty basic fork but works much better than the likes of Rock Shox Judy, RST etc.
I got the poploc version and apart from that the only adjustments is rebound & air pressure which is in one side (solo air). The other side contains the motion control cartridge which is the techy part & helps the fork work pretty well. Sound anything like yours? Retail price would be somewhere around $500 or $600 Australian.
I remember when I was shopping around some other brands of bikes had Manitou Axel or Manitou Splice forks specced and they were in a similar price range to the Trance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.