Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
No Clue Crew
7,594 Posts
I owned a Ripmo as my primary bike for about 7 months. Recently picked up a new HT, but only one ride, so too early too give any accurate feedback. Both are definitely rad bikes. Rip is lighter and probably pedals a touch better. HT2 feels more plush.

Aesthetically, I prefer the Santa Cruz. Hard to beat Ibis for quality and customer service.

·
Registered
784 Posts
The one caveat: the Ibis Ripmo deserves a -1 angleset

So in theory, geometry between both will be almost identical and:

Advantage climbing goes to Ripmo due to lighter weight, effectively steeper SA, and better pedalling platform

Advantage downhill goes to Hightower2 due to more compliance+support and better leverage curve (i.e. non-regressive like the Ripmo and slightly more progressive) on the rear end.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
This is the question I'm trying to answer. Long time SC partisan, and I love their build quality, design philosophy, and aesthetics. But on the basis of the reviews I've read, the Ripmo makes a strong case for being the perfect bike for my riding style. My biggest hangup with the HT is the limited rear shock compatibility. If that issue didn't exist, I'd probably have already ordered one.

·
Registered
784 Posts
My biggest hangup with the HT is the limited rear shock compatibility. If that issue didn't exist, I'd probably have already ordered one.
What exactly are you trying to gain? I too wished previously the HT2 could fit other options, but now after riding it I would argue it doesn't need it, AND the HT2 with RSAir descends better than the Ripmo with X2 (to be fair I haven't ridden the Ripmo, was going to this week just so I could definitively say, but all anecdotal evidence suggests this is the case). Yes, I still would have preferred the option on the HT2.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
What exactly are you trying to gain? I too wished previously the HT2 could fit other options, but now after riding it I would argue it doesn't need it, AND the HT2 with RSAir descends better than the Ripmo with X2 (to be fair I haven't ridden the Ripmo, was going to this week just so I could definitively say, but all anecdotal evidence suggests this is the case). Yes, I still would have preferred the option on the HT2.
I'm very interested to hear your conclusions. The past SC bikes I've owned (a Tallboy and a Tallboy LTc) really came alive with improved aftermarket shocks (like the Cane Creek DBAir). I just couldn't get a balance of small bump compliance/performance over chatter/high speed chunk with the stock setups, and I was concerned the same would be true here, except my aftermarket options would be limited. This is in contrast to the Ibis bikes I've demoed, which tend to have solid performance out of the box. If the stock shock performance is as good as you say, it won't be an issue. It could be a difference between the VPP generations, with the new linkage being less sensitive to the damper.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I'm in the market for the new HT and have demo'd a Bronson V3 and Ripmo, along with the new Stumpy, Enduro, Altitude, Instinct BC and Tracer. The Bronson was my favorite for the Tahoe trails I ride. I just left these demos wanting a 29er Bronson basically. The Ripmo and Bronson felt like they climbed almost the same to me. Both efficient and pedaled up and over things in an oddly similar way, both active but firm. Both bikes were nimble downhill. The Bronson just felt noticeably more plush and active down hill. Bronson was dead quiet and solid feeling. Both bikes tracked awesome and just railed through turns. Bronson felt shorter, because it is. Hopefully, the HT2 combines the best of both of these bikes when I get one!

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
why do you say the ht2/rs descends better than ripmo/x2?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Does anyone have more actual ride experience on these plus the Megatower? Blatant? I ordered the HT2 but since it's a few weeks out, I still have time to swap it for the Ripmo. Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Coming off a Ripmo/X2 to a HT2/Super Deluxe, there is definitely something about the kinematics of the HT2 that is more predictable than the Ripmo. I felt I could push into the suspension and react with it better, rather than blow through the travel, as sometimes happened with the Ripmo/X2. I did about 25000ft descending last week and was thoroughly impressed with how the Super Deluxe handled it, the longest single run being approx. 6500ft. Honestly, the SD was my biggest apprehension about the HT2, but so far, so good.

·
No Clue Crew
7,594 Posts
I think the Super Deluxe is an excellent shock. Unfortunately, I'm not connecting with the new HT at this point. I've got a dialed build, but I suspect I'm going to put it on the market locally here in Phoenix. If it sells, I'll likely go back to the Ripmo.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I think the Super Deluxe is an excellent shock. Unfortunately, I'm not connecting with the new HT at this point. I've got a dialed build, but I suspect I'm going to put it on the market locally here in Phoenix. If it sells, I'll likely go back to the Ripmo.
Can you expand on why? Both of those bikes are in the top 3 of my shortlist for a mid travel 29er.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I'd also like to hear some details on why you don't like it compared to the Ripmo. I put a deposit down and ordered a HT2. I live in CA but am going to be down in AZ in a few weeks. If you want to sell, shoot me the details. Maybe I'd cancel my order and grab yours while there.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.