1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
A stiff spring.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I know your pain. At 220 lbs, I found myself at max PSI on a Super Deluxe on one of my bikes. When you're at max pressure, you're getting an absolutely terrible ride no matter what changes you try. I switched to coil and haven't looked back.

Ibis says that the Ripmo V2 is coil compatible, so I say go for it. The improvement to the ride will blow your mind!

A few lessons I learned along the way:

-Make sure you confirm compatibility for the specific shock you want either with other riders or by checking with Ibis. Not all coil shocks fit all frames.

-You're going to almost certainly be at max spring weight. If I remember correctly, I think Fox has the highest spring weight at 800 lbs/inch. Springs are only $30 bucks, so buy a couple at different weights so you can test back-to-back. This doesn't lock you into Fox - many companies make coil shocks that are compatible with Fox springs.

-SLS springs don't save much weight in the shorter lengths. When I compared a 700 SLS to a standard 650 for my shock, the difference was 25 grams. Not exactly apples to apples since they were different lbs/inch, but it was so close that I returned the SLS spring post haste.

-You may be better with the googles than I, but I couldn't find a progressive spring that works for us clydes. You'd likely. Blow right through three-quarters of the travel. Ibis says the Ripmo V2 works well with a coil, so it should have a properly progressive suspension that doesn't require a progressive spring.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am 220 and I ride an EXT Astoria with a 650# spring in my Ripmo V2, also one of friends runs the same coil with 700# spring, he is 240# and he has the V1 ripmo. I run a Fox DHX in my yeti with a 550 progresive cain creek spring. I do not see my self going back to an air shock ever.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
At 210lbs I had to use 525-650lb progressive spring with the Jade X coil shock for moderately aggressive riding. I ended up with a Super Deluxe air shock on it before selling the bike, that was the best balance of traction and bottom out support I could find for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.