Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ripmo v2 in XL with a 30t chainring. I decided to try the SRAMano setup - Shimano XT cassette/chain/chainring with the SRAM GX AXS rear derailleur. I'm having some issues with the B-gap and chain length. I adjusted my chain length using the Shimano method, but using the SRAM method to adjust the b-gap using the red b gap tool (the grey one doesn't fit on the XT cassette).

the problem is that when I have the b gap adjusted according to SRAMs guide (also measured to be 40-41 mm from the middle of the jockey wheel to the tip of the 52t). the chain is very loose when it's in the smallest cog. I can tighten up the chain by adjusting the b-gap, but then the b gap is off.

I'm wondering if I need to remove a link in the chain or use the SRAM chain length guide?

Does anyone know if this sounds right? or if I'm not setting this up properly?

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
276 Posts
I have a Ripmo v2 in XL with a 30t chainring. I decided to try the SRAMano setup - Shimano XT cassette/chain/chainring with the SRAM GX AXS rear derailleur. I'm having some issues with the B-gap and chain length. I adjusted my chain length using the Shimano method, but using the SRAM method to adjust the b-gap using the red b gap tool (the grey one doesn't fit on the XT cassette).

the problem is that when I have the b gap adjusted according to SRAMs guide (also measured to be 40-41 mm from the middle of the jockey wheel to the tip of the 52t). the chain is very loose when it's in the smallest cog. I can tighten up the chain by adjusting the b-gap, but then the b gap is off.

I'm wondering if I need to remove a link in the chain or use the SRAM chain length guide?

Does anyone know if this sounds right? or if I'm not setting this up properly?
I am running this setup on a Ripley v4 with a 30t chainring and with the 41mm gap and its fine. Make sure your derailleur is moving freely around the mount bolt, as I have been snookered by that a time or two, and then just remove a link to take up the slack.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Going to bump this back up for a moment.

I just installed a X01 AXS controller and derailleur on my XT drivetrain last night, on my Ripley V4.

I did not adjust chain length from my full Shimano setup. When you're setting the b-gap at 41mm from the 51t cog, are you doing this with the bike sagged or in the stand?

·
Disgruntled Peccary
6,649 Posts
It makes a difference. I pull the shock valve, compress the suspension to sag, and then set it. I should just measure eye to eye and make a holder that's set at sag, and remove the shock.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
It makes a difference. I pull the shock valve, compress the suspension to sag, and then set it. I should just measure eye to eye and make a holder that's set at sag, and remove the shock.
Have you set the b-gap on an AXS derailleur with Shimano Cassette/chain?

If you did, did you use 41mm from 51t to center of jockey wheel or the SRAM gauge?

·
Disgruntled Peccary
6,649 Posts
Have you set the b-gap on an AXS derailleur with Shimano Cassette/chain?

If you did, did you use 41mm from 51t to center of jockey wheel or the SRAM gauge?
I have not, but I would defer to the SRAM derailleur and use the gauge. I say this, since I can swap wheels and have a Shimano cassette shift just fine with my X01 or GX derailleurs. I don't think the wireless is that significantly different in that regard.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I have not, but I would defer to the SRAM derailleur and use the gauge. I say this, since I can swap wheels and have a Shimano cassette shift just fine with my X01 or GX derailleurs. I don't think the wireless is that significantly different in that regard.
Yeah, I guess the largest difference between mechanical and electronic SRAM Eagle (besides the electronic bits) is that the AXS derailleur cage lets it sit 10mm shorter than mechanical.

Not sure if that has any real world impact on b-gap or chain length requirements.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Ended up having to remove a link to get proper b-gap at sag, using the SRAM gauge.

I removed material from the gauge to clear the chain so that the gauge would sit flush with the 51t cog.

Shifting much smoother now!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Catching up with this thread late... but I recently installed the AXS X01 with my XT chain and drivetrain on my ripmo v2. I let the air out of the rear shock to achieve SAG position and then measured 41mm from the 51T to the center of the jockey wheel. I tested while riding and it actually seems to shift better than my best effort at tuning the XT derailleur. I'm very pleased so far--my testing was up/down hills around my place and on dirt and asphalt. I am amazed with how much the B gap tweaking makes a difference.

While I was tempted to modify the white SRAM b gap plastic guide to fit, I was concerned that the 2nd gear on the XT cassette has a different ratio than that on the SRAM eagle one... so I went with the 41mm method at SAG.

I'm tempted to fiddle with this technique but I think I'm chasing after perfection that may already be achieved:
http://instagr.am/p/B6eHbDgH5D4/ Anybody try this technique?

The hardest part of the whole thing was removing the shifter housing from the internal routing of the rear suspension triangle on my ripmo V2!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.