Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been scouring the boards about the RIPMO and new RIPLEY V4 but wanted to try to get a more direct response, so I am posting.

I am in the Midwest, Mi. I have been out of the MTB game for a while, currently riding a 1995 hardtail (brutal). I ride locally which is pretty flat but there are some newer flow trails. In addition, we travel out east or out west every summer which presents many opportunities to ride bigger gnarlier stuff.

I am in desperate need of an update and I am currently eye-balling the RIPMO, and RIPLEY V4.

I don't want to be undergunned for Moab or Co., but I have also hear that the RIPMO is too much bike (not fun on flatter trails?) for my local rides.

I have a demo scheduled for next weekend (RIPMO), but I won't be able to demo the RIPLEY any time soon.

Thoughts on whether the RIPMO is too much monster truck for tamer trails?

I have street rode the Evil Offering, and RM Instinct but honestly.. all things being equal I would prefer buying from a brand that is

1- has a good company image
2- decent warranty and customer service.

.. and that is why I am more focused on the 2 Ibis bikes.

I am about 6'1", and in my 40's if that figures into your response!

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,786 Posts
I think the Ripley would be a better fit. It will be a much better bike for your local trails and won't hold you back when you're out of town.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the Ripley would be a better fit. It will be a much better bike for your local trails and won't hold you back when you're out of town.
I am inclined to agree with you.

I think local availability, and demos are going to be the sticking point. The Ripmo has cooled off a bit so we can find Demos out here.

The Ripley is red-red hot so Demos are coming but still 2 months off, and by then it will probably be back-ordered. (See: 2018 RIPMO)

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
Ripmo is made to climb and descend. Won’t be fun on flats, and Ibis took the new geo to the far edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say Ripley, but then again, I'm in SE MI and went with a HD3 (now on HD4) over Mojo 3. After riding both I found myself enjoying the HD3 a lot more.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I am in SE as well, the HD3 is compelling but much of the advice I am getting at 6 foot+ is to bite the bullet and go 29er.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think all the bikes you listed are all great contenders. That being said the RM Instinct kind of falls between the ripley and the ripmo which is what it sounds you are looking for. Adjustable geometry, 66-67 head tube angle, 140mm travel front and back. But the offering is right in that ball park as well. I havent heard anything bad about rocky mountain as far as customer service or brand image. Evil has had their woes in the past but I think things have improved more recently. All fantastic bikes though so no matter what you pick its a good decision.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think all the bikes you listed are all great contenders. That being said the RM Instinct kind of falls between the ripley and the ripmo which is what it sounds you are looking for. Adjustable geometry, 66-67 head tube angle, 140mm travel front and back. But the offering is right in that ball park as well. I havent heard anything bad about rocky mountain as far as customer service or brand image. Evil has had their woes in the past but I think things have improved more recently. All fantastic bikes though so no matter what you pick its a good decision.
TBH I do have a secret crush on that bike... the problem is getting a proper demo. I can get a ride on pavement but that won't tell me very much.

I also like that RM has Alum bikes available.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Definitely way too much monster truck for your trails. I've demo'd a Ripley in the Pacific Northwest. I lean toward lots of climbing (10K days are not unheard of) and am a fast descender. The Ripmo doesn't even break a sweat for my downs, I thought it was an okay climber and my XC speed on flats, well, let's just say the Ripmo felt like it is a true enduro bike. Choose the right tool for the job, or at least 90% of what I ride.
Long story short: I bought a Ripley4.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Agree, Ripley. I've ridden my v2 Ripley and my brother's Ripmo back to back and would definitely lean to the Ripley for typical midwest riding. I've ridden my Ripley in Sedona, Whistler, Marquette and Pisgah with a 140mm fork and did just fine. The new V4 will be even more capable.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The trails near my house are definitely Ripley grade. I wanted to explore new style parks etc on the weekends and trips.

I honestly have had no issue riding my Ripmo on easy XC trails. It is so efficient it's not a problem.

Then when I go hunting for action I have the bike in need.

If you wanted the best of both worlds a Ripmo with a lighter wheelset and tire combo for home and the Enduro combo for the road is IMHO the ultimate 1 bike (2 wheelset) solution

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The trails near my house are definitely Ripley grade. I wanted to explore new style parks etc on the weekends and trips.

I honestly have had no issue riding my Ripmo on easy XC trails. It is so efficient it's not a problem.

Then when I go hunting for action I have the bike in need.

If you wanted the best of both worlds a Ripmo with a lighter wheelset and tire combo for home and the Enduro combo for the road is IMHO the ultimate 1 bike (2 wheelset) solution

That was the direction I was leaning, it's tricky and this is why I brought it to the masses.

I will be riding more aggressive/technical stuff on vacations. The age old question I guess:

- Fast and snappy on the local trails but less composed on the tougher trails
or
- Less poppy on local trails but very prepared for adventures away from home
or
- Split the difference and go 140/140 with the Rocky Instinct.

I will know more next week, how less poppy it is on local trails I suppose.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I live in the Midwest and have a Ripmo and a 27.5+ hardtail. Also ride Sedona, Moab, Colorado, etc. There is a clear trade off on "normal" singletrack with the Ripmo. The Ripley will be better on all that stuff. That said, the Ripley is still a very long, slack bike. Based on what you're describing, I'd go Tallboy, SB100, Ripley V3, etc if you want one do-it-all bike. I'd also at least consider the Mojo 3. Demo one before you exclude it from consideration.

I don't think the Instinct falls between the Ripley and Ripmo. It's a less efficient, less fun version of the Ripmo.

Regardless of the trail bike you pick, I'd be open to the possibility of renting a "big" bike for trips to Moab. It's so fun to have a monster truck and plow once in awhile.

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
The new Ripley definitely complicates the formula, but it wasn't out when I was looking.

A Smuggler is also worth a look.

Agreed, and same here. Today if I was in the market, I'd definitely include the Ripley in my demos.

The Ripmo suits my local rocky, 2500' elevation gain/ loss riding terrain very well, but coming from a 100mm XC bike, even the Ripley would have fit the bill, and the geometry is a better balance between traditional and modern. - Although I'm surprised they left the ST angle at 76 degrees (same as Ripmo). The HT is not as slack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
932 Posts
In the end I don't regret my choice at all. When I got the Ripmo it was so different than my previous bike I couldnt imagine ever using that much travel. Now I use it all frequently.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I live in the Midwest and have a Ripmo and a 27.5+ hardtail. Also ride Sedona, Moab, Colorado, etc. There is a clear trade off on "normal" singletrack with the Ripmo. The Ripley will be better on all that stuff. That said, the Ripley is still a very long, slack bike. Based on what you're describing, I'd go Tallboy, SB100, Ripley V3, etc if you want one do-it-all bike. I'd also at least consider the Mojo 3. Demo one before you exclude it from consideration.

I don't think the Instinct falls between the Ripley and Ripmo. It's a less efficient, less fun version of the Ripmo.

Regardless of the trail bike you pick, I'd be open to the possibility of renting a "big" bike for trips to Moab. It's so fun to have a monster truck and plow once in awhile.
Can probably add Pivot 429 to that list?

I was also considering renting on trips but there is something sweet about taking your own rig on epic rides.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.