Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Ripmo. Easily the most fun and capable bike I've ridden. Cannot wait to get mine, but...

One thing concerns me: every Ripmo I've seen in the wild has damage in the upper linkage area where stones accumulate and get caught.

I think Ibis is now shipping the frames with a little 3M tape in there to provide some protection, but I wonder if it's enough to do the trick.

Any feedback on this, or hacks to prevent it?

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
The nutcracker area gets scratched up, but I've never seen damage from rocks getting caught between the link and frame. They do have a little neoprene adhesive backed pad in there starting with 2019 models, but mines pretty chewed up and half hanging on. One could fabricate a small fender-like piece to cover that area if so inclined.

This is from shortly after I bought the bike. The pad looks like beef jerky now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
Even with my mudhugger, I still get pebbles there sometime. I don't think that will do much. Wrapping a piece of inner tube around the pivot and using a patch to connect the ends would probably work better.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even with my mudhugger, I still get pebbles there sometime. I don't think that will do much. Wrapping a piece of inner tube around the pivot and using a patch to connect the ends would probably work better.

Seems kinda ridiculous to have to come up with these sort of hacks.

Why wouldn't Ibis have sorted this better?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Honestly the best fix would probably be a slight change to the shape of the link so there's room for rocks to fall out rather than get caught/crunched. It's tough to fabricate an effective fender or rock-catcher there because of all the moving parts and tight tolerances.

My own approach is that it's a mountain bike and will get some paint scratches. I installed the Ibis rubber patch and have put many happy miles on the bike since.

·
Ride Fast Take Chances :)
3,624 Posts
I took off the rear triangle and put on 3M 6mm tape. Then I wrapped the upper stays in orange electrical tape, along with mastic tape. I'v always put some sort of frame protection on all my bikes.
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Blue Bicycle wheel Bicycle part

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ive had pretty good luck with a taping some 3M tape that attaches to both the linkage and the frame. It’s flexible and covers the opening nicely. Prevents stuff from getting stuck between the frame and the linkage.

But it’s a mountain bike, so it should have some scratches of you use it properly 😉

·
Registered
31 Posts
The new Ripley has the same issue as far as I can tell. I demo'ed a Ripley last weekend and someone had used zip ties with some rubber (possibly an old tube?) and wrapped the link. I should have taken a picture but it slipped my mind... :-(

I chose the Ripmo in the end. Since my bike is still on order I've yet to figure out how, but I'm probably going to do something with an old Tube... Seems awful to have to do this on a brand new bike but if this is the worse problem I have I'm going to be ecstatic. I _really_ liked the ride of this bike. Especially being short with short legs.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.