Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to demo one for a pretty solid 3hr ride and noticed my hands going numb half way through. I've been riding for many years and this was the first bike where I couldn't fix it based on saddle tilt/fore/aft/height. Looking around the forums, it seems to be a common problem with this bike.

FWIW, I've demo'd 8 other bikes and none had this problem. Has anyone with a Rimpo had this problem, then solved it? I don't rally want to buy the bike and proceed to play the expensive 2-month game of finding the right stem length/rise, or handlebar width/sweep. I'm 5'8" and rode the medium, if it matters.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Did all the bikes you demo'd have a steep STA like the Ripmo? That can put a lot of weight on your hands if you ride terrain that is not pretty much all up or down. Extended flat seated pedaling is not it's strong suit. Also, the Fox 36 forks are not super plush on little stuff IMO. When I put an MRP Ribbon fork on mine, it was much plusher on the smaller stuff. But I never experienced any hand pain, I only ride it at trails that are pretty steep up and down w/o much flat.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Too many factors to narrow it down but I’ve definitely noticed with the new geo bikes there is increased pressure on the hands.

The steeper SA and longer reach are a game changer for extended climbs but with the shift in body weight something as simple as having the fork too stiff or uncomfortable grips could easily cause increased hand fatigue or numbness. Hopefully not an ongoing issue for ya.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
You can also try moving the saddle back a bit. The other thing you can check is the bar rotation. I've found that if its rotated too far forward...it'll put extra pressure on my hands.

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
I’m still looking for a solution and have had my Ripmo since October. I’ve tried saddle adjustments, riser bars and bar adjustments, 9 and 12 degree backsweep bars, riser stems of differing degrees and different Ergon grips and a different saddle.

I even had a professional fitting done at my LBS, and the adjustments and most of the component change recommendations weren’t anything I had not already done.

It has improved, though I can’t pin one change on any significant improvement in comfort. Grips and backsweep bars are probably the two biggest improvements - though the wrist and hand pressure remains.

I think I’ve finally gotten used to it, like when you first get back on a bike after a long break and your butt hurts for a ride or two. Then the nerves become less sensitive and your body adjusts.

If the bike wasn’t so much fun to ride, and didn’t perform so well in so many different situations, I wouldn’t put up with the ergonomic issues caused by steep STA and bottom bracket too far back relative to the saddle. THIS is the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
When I bought my rootdown (2019 geo, 76 degree STA) I had this problem.
I ended up increasing the bar/stack height significantly. 30mm of spacer under the stem, 35mm riser bars. I tend to like high bars but my steep seat tube 29er seems to ride better with much higher bars than is needed on my slacker seat tube 27.5 bike (bronson 2).

Maybe that is just a Band-Aid fix but it seems to work for me.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Too much pressure on the bars could mean a lot. Deathgrip? Bad form? Weak core strength? Usually, we see that people just kinda lean on their bars, which is bad. We fix this kind of stuff all the time for people, but gotta see you on the bike.

mk

·
Registered
518 Posts
Definitely noticed heavier hands on my Ripmo, but since I’ve always had the opposite problem of having difficulty getting weight on front of previous bikes, it’s good. I made sure tho to get stack height where I need it which took 40+mm spacers and 40mm rise. That places my hands at saddle height. Other change was to shorten reach from previous bike by 30mm, which I read about from Lee McCormack’s stuff, but mostly just was result of STA shortening cockpit and staying with 40mm stem. Subsequently I also moved cleats all the way back in shoes, not for this reason, but think it helps also with this issue. Feels like best bike fit I’ve had now.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
I'm still looking for a solution and have had my Ripmo since October. I've tried saddle adjustments, riser bars and bar adjustments, 9 and 12 degree backsweep bars, riser stems of differing degrees and different Ergon grips and a different saddle.

I even had a professional fitting done at my LBS, and the adjustments and most of the component change recommendations weren't anything I had not already done.

It has improved, though I can't pin one change on any significant improvement in comfort. Grips and backsweep bars are probably the two biggest improvements - though the wrist and hand pressure remains.

I think I've finally gotten used to it, like when you first get back on a bike after a long break and your butt hurts for a ride or two. Then the nerves become less sensitive and your body adjusts.

If the bike wasn't so much fun to ride, and didn't perform so well in so many different situations, I wouldn't put up with the ergonomic issues caused by steep STA and bottom bracket too far back relative to the saddle. THIS is the issue.

Too much weight on your hands - that is he number one cause IMO. It why the nose on these slack bikes stay down on climbs.

Tilt your saddle nose up. That relives hand pressure but puts pressure on your junk. Raise your bars and that will let your hips tilt back to depressurization your junk.

·
No Clue Crew
7,647 Posts
I felt that maybe a touch (but not enough to worry about) on my Ripmo on long flat sections, which we have thankfully few of. I've had it worse on other bikes. Commonly, for me (assuming good form) is to raise the bar height.

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
I have 25mm of spacers under the stem, and can’t go higher with 5mm spacers because the LBS cut the steerer tube too short. I’m not convinced raising the stem higher with 10 or 15mm spacers is going to help because I’ve tried 35 degree x 70 and 90 riser stems as well as 50mm riser bars with all of the stems combinations I have.

I haven’t adjusted my cleats, so will try that. Already have SQLabs 9 degree backswept riser bars on it. I’ve had the saddle as far back as it will go and it didnt make a difference.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have 25mm of spacers under the stem, and can't go higher with 5mm spacers because the LBS cut the steerer tube too short. I'm not convinced raising the stem higher with 10 or 15mm spacers is going to help because I've tried 35 degree x 70 and 90 riser stems as well as 50mm riser bars with all of the stems combinations I have.

I haven't adjusted my cleats, so will try that. Already have SQLabs 9 degree backswept riser bars on it. I've had the saddle as far back as it will go and it didnt make a difference.

Saddle tilt?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have 25mm of spacers under the stem, and can't go higher with 5mm spacers because the LBS cut the steerer tube too short. I'm not convinced raising the stem higher with 10 or 15mm spacers is going to help because I've tried 35 degree x 70 and 90 riser stems as well as 50mm riser bars with all of the stems combinations I have.

I haven't adjusted my cleats, so will try that. Already have SQLabs 9 degree backswept riser bars on it. I've had the saddle as far back as it will go and it didnt make a difference.

Wondering if stem is too long. Longer stems put more weight on your hands. I believe Ibis recommendation is to keep stem length close to fork offset. Do u have long torso and/or arms relative to leg length? Can u try riser bars with 50 or shorter stem?

·
g=9.764m/s2
808 Posts
Changing from a 50mm stem and 25mm riser bar to 35mm stem and 40mm riser bar relieved must of my discomfort...also took an 80mm riser bar a ride and improved even more. Also, fine tuning the tilt of the bar end to match my resting hand position made a difference by relieving pressure points.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I was able to demo one for a pretty solid 3hr ride and noticed my hands going numb half way through. I've been riding for many years and this was the first bike where I couldn't fix it based on saddle tilt/fore/aft/height. Looking around the forums, it seems to be a common problem with this bike.

FWIW, I've demo'd 8 other bikes and none had this problem. Has anyone with a Rimpo had this problem, then solved it? I don't rally want to buy the bike and proceed to play the expensive 2-month game of finding the right stem length/rise, or handlebar width/sweep. I'm 5'8" and rode the medium, if it matters.
I had the same problem with hand pain on a Ripmo, I am also 5'-8", 165 lbs on a medium. I demo'ed the bike 3 times. First thing I did after getting my Ripmo was to ride with a ShockWiz on the Fox 36 Grip 2. The ShockWiz had me set the LSC & HSC full soft. This completely got rid of the hand pain.

My fork setup is:
60 psi
Sag 32mm ~20%
Rebound LSR 4, HSR 5
Compression HSC 16 fully open, LSC 12 fully open
One token as it come stock.

My bike has the DPX2 Shock it's set up:
215 psi
Sag ~14mm 25%
Rebound 11
For my weight and riding style (not aggressive) the DPX2 Shock has a great tune for me.

I will be putting the ShockWiz back on the fork for some more fine tuning.

The bike feels nice and playful. My cockpit set up is:
Enve M6 low rise bar 7mm rise cut to 765mm wide.
Enve M6 stem 55mm set -6 degrees no spacer under stem.
WTB SL8 saddle slide all the way back.

This bike rips up and down.

Here it is:
http://instagr.am/p/BwMy04wll_q/
FYI, my other bike is a Mojo3. My Ripmo is only ~ 1 pound heavier at 27 1/4 lbs.

Get one and do not look back.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I had the same problem with hand pain on a Ripmo, I am also 5'-8", 165 lbs on a medium. I demo'ed the bike 3 times. First thing I did after getting my Ripmo was to ride with a ShockWiz on the Fox 36 Grip 2. The ShockWiz had me set the LSC & HSC full soft. This completely got rid of the hand pain.

My fork setup is:
60 psi
Sag 32mm ~20%
Rebound LSR 4, HSR 5
Compression HSC 16 fully open, LSC 12 fully open
One token as it come stock.

My bike has the DPX2 Shock it's set up:
215 psi
Sag ~14mm 25%
Rebound 11
For my weight and riding style (not aggressive) the DPX2 Shock has a great tune for me.

I will be putting the ShockWiz back on the fork for some more fine tuning.

The bike feels nice and playful. My cockpit set up is:
Enve M6 low rise bar 7mm rise cut to 765mm wide.
Enve M6 stem 55mm set -6 degrees no spacer under stem.
WTB SL8 saddle slide all the way back.

This bike rips up and down.

Here it is:
http://instagr.am/p/BwMy04wll_q/
FYI, my other bike is a Mojo3. My Ripmo is only ~ 1 pound heavier at 27 1/4 lbs.

Get one and do not look back.
One last thing my saddle height is 680 mm from center of BB to seat rails.

Also the demo Ripmo bars were 3/4" to 1" higher then on my bike. So for me it was not the bar height just the fork setup.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts

Raising the bars only takes a bit off the hands. It's the saddle tilt that unweights the hands.

Raising the bar is more about depressurizing the taint after the saddle is tilted.

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
I tried the saddle tilt until I got numbness and then backed off (tilted back forward), with little to no improvement in hand pressure.

I have the stock Ibis stem:
50mm stem reach. 42mm stem height.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.