Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks! My Ripmo currently has a 2018 Fox 36 Factory HSC/LSC fork (Fox x2 in the rear). I live in Colorado and ride some very rocky trails, the fork is just beating me up. I have sag properly set up and have tried all sorts of tuning options (have also done the ziptie trick). I can never get the fork to go through more than 75% of travel on hard riding. Thus, I'm looking for some fork options to improve smaller bump compliance while still being supportive.

I live near Push, and could swap in the ASC3 spring conversion with a custom damper tune and rebuild for just over $500. This is obviously rather expensive and would add about a pound of weight to the fork, but from what I understand would probably be awesome for my type of riding.

I'm also looking at the new DVO Diamond 29 (which now has a 44mm offset), which seems to offer a similar coil-spring package with slightly less weight. New they are just shy of $1000, so if I sell my Fox 36, I'm probably still spending around $400-500.

Any thoughts or advice on either option (or perhaps more options)?

·
Registered
190 Posts
When is the last lower leg service you done or an airspring service? I'd take a hard look over it before dropping money on a new fork. See if you can borrow a shockwiz even.

I'm running a Luftkappe as well, which was a pretty good upgrade, but wasn't having the issues you mentioned before. There is also a good thread here about settings that you should review and read.

For spending more money though, I'd go with a coil if you really want the best small bump plus good support. The ASC3 is nice as well as Vorsprungs option. Had a coil on my last bike and loved it, but the Fox 36 has been great so far for me.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had my 18 Fox 36 Push'd and I found it no more plush than stock. Also did the luftkappe, it helps a little, but doesn't fix the overall stiffness issue with the RC2 damper. This was on my Bronson, so different bike, but still relevant I think. I have the new Grip2 Fox 36 on my Ripmo, much better.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I had my 18 Fox 36 Push'd and I found it no more plush than stock. Also did the luftkappe, it helps a little, but doesn't fix the overall stiffness issue with the RC2 damper. This was on my Bronson, so different bike, but still relevant I think. I have the new Grip2 Fox 36 on my Ripmo, much better.
You had the damper tuned by Push or the Push coil kit?

Mine feels way softer off the top with the coil kit than it did with the air spring. Even after servicing the lower and getting all the excess grease out of the air spring. As far damper tuning goes, Darren even says their isn't that much to gained for most people. I believe he said 5% better in most cases with damper tuning and 40% with the coil.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When is the last lower leg service you done or an airspring service? I'd take a hard look over it before dropping money on a new fork. See if you can borrow a shockwiz even.

I'm running a Luftkappe as well, which was a pretty good upgrade, but wasn't having the issues you mentioned before. There is also a good thread here about settings that you should review and read.

For spending more money though, I'd go with a coil if you really want the best small bump plus good support. The ASC3 is nice as well as Vorsprungs option. Had a coil on my last bike and loved it, but the Fox 36 has been great so far for me.
It's been a while and probably due, but I'm worried about doing the service and then still finding the fork isn't great. I seem to read lots of reviews about the 2018 Fox just being rather stiff.

Given Push is nearby, I might just go for the full ACS3 + custom tune. It will make the fork harder to sell though since it'd only work for someone in my weight range.

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
I’d rent a Shockwiz and see what it tells you. Depending on your riding style and suspension tune preferences, If you aren’t using 90-95% of your travel regularly, you need to lower your air pressure no matter how correctly you think your sag is set, and possibly change volume spacers. I was in the same situation. I first converted my Fox 2019 36 from 160 to 170mm, and rebuilt it in the process. Fox recommended 90psi for my weight, but I rented two ShockWiz modules for a week, and those recommendations were very different. It took several rides over the week to make recommended changes including volume spacers, pressure, dampening, compression and rebound. It was dialed in at 43psi and two volume spacers. At that pressure I was finally using nearly all of my travel while not bottoming out.

I’m 205# and ride rocky, steep terrain fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
365 Posts
I had an RC2 push tuned here in the UK by TF Tuned sometime ago, it made a massive difference. Went from being brutal on small bump to behaving almost like my friends Van for plushness. If you can get it Push’d then I’d definitely go with that, as well as the Luftkappe. I have a luftkappe in both of my 36s - it’s that good.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'd rent a Shockwiz and see what it tells you. Depending on your riding style and suspension tune preferences, If you aren't using 90-95% of your travel regularly, you need to lower your air pressure no matter how correctly you think your sag is set, and possibly change volume spacers. I was in the same situation. I first converted my Fox 2019 36 from 160 to 170mm, and rebuilt it in the process. Fox recommended 90psi for my weight, but I rented two ShockWiz modules for a week, and those recommendations were very different. It took several rides over the week to make recommended changes including volume spacers, pressure, dampening, compression and rebound. It was dialed in at 43psi and two volume spacers. At that pressure I was finally using nearly all of my travel while not bottoming out.

I'm 205# and ride rocky, steep terrain fast.

205 lbs with 43 PSI in Fox 36? That is crazy low pressure for that much weight. Is that a typo?

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
205 lbs with 43 PSI in Fox 36? That is crazy low pressure for that much weight. Is that a typo?
Not a typo. I have no idea why, but it works. The o-ring shows fork travel after a 15-mile ride with a few 1.5' - 2' drops and rocky descents, and not taking it slow. I never bottomed out.

I rode 5 days with the Shockwiz and let the app tell me how to adjust my suspension with tweaks after each ride. By the 4th ride, it was 95% optimized, and felt better than it ever had before. I've broken several PRs and got fastest overall for the year on a downhill segment at Annadel since lowering my fork pressure, and it feels more controlled.

I'm stumped as to how guys my size run 80psi. At that pressure, I barely used 2/3 of the travel and it felt very harsh. I'm also a fast rider on technical downhill sections, so it's not like I'm riding paved bike paths.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
That is very strange. Being 170 lbs and running 70 PSI I was regularly using all of the travel riding aggressively downhill. I was only running 1 spacer but adding a second spacer isn't that big of a change and the change doesn't effect much until the end of the stroke.

What does your sag end up being at with you in the "attack" position on the bike? I never checked with my air pressure anywhere near that low but I would have had a ton of sag even at my weight. I don't think that sag is necessarily the best way to setup suspension but at a certain point it changes the geometry of the bike enough that it hurts the handling characteristics.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Not a typo. I have no idea why, but it works. The o-ring shows fork travel after a 15-mile ride with a few 1.5' - 2' drops and rocky descents, and not taking it slow. I never bottomed out.

I rode 5 days with the Shockwiz and let the app tell me how to adjust my suspension with tweaks after each ride. By the 4th ride, it was 95% optimized, and felt better than it ever had before. I've broken several PRs and got fastest overall for the year on a downhill segment at Annadel since lowering my fork pressure, and it feels more controlled.

I'm stumped as to how guys my size run 80psi. At that pressure, I barely used 2/3 of the travel and it felt very harsh. I'm also a fast rider on technical downhill sections, so it's not like I'm riding paved bike paths.

There is something wrong with your fork. Send it back to Fox if your LBS can't fix it. 43 psi is insanely soft for a heavy, aggressive rider. The problem with the fork is also the most plausible explanation for all your hand pain issues.

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
That is very strange. Being 170 lbs and running 70 PSI I was regularly using all of the travel riding aggressively downhill. I was only running 1 spacer but adding a second spacer isn't that big of a change and the change doesn't effect much until the end of the stroke.

What does your sag end up being at with you in the "attack" position on the bike? I never checked with my air pressure anywhere near that low but I would have had a ton of sag even at my weight. I don't think that sag is necessarily the best way to setup suspension but at a certain point it changes the geometry of the bike enough that it hurts the handling characteristics.
Haven't checked sag since doing the Shockwiz tune, as that uses percentage of total travel.

Can you guys running 70 or 80psi bottom out the fork by pushing down with all of your weight on it, either while standing in front of the bars on the ground or on the bike dropping off a curb hard? I physically could not get more than 2/3 of total travel using these methods. Riding and intentionally trying to hit off drops hard on the front, the fork physically would not move past that point. I have 2 volume spacers.

With The 43psi (it's 40psi now as that feels better, and still doesn't bottom out), the fork works as it should.

I'll see if my LBS will let me test ride another bike with the same fork. Maybe it is defective.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.