Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Dude...
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a similar thread, but it didn't really reveal much in my opinion.

I recently purchased a basic MRP chain guide https://mrpbike.com/products/1x-v3-cs, but to my surprise, it doesn't play nice with the linkage, and I'm going to need to find something that does.

Anyone running a chain guide or chain guide and bash combo that they are willing to share? The only one from the other thread was the absolute black oval, https://absoluteblack.cc/oval-bashguide-iscg05/ but I'm curious what else is working before I purchase another one.

I'm currently running Race Face Next R cranks with a 32 tooth chain ring. One interesting note, the chainring was originally mounted backwards, and in this configuration, the crank arm will actually rub/hit the chain guide so the chainring must be run with the lettering facing out. Many folks have said that the backwards chainring was for boost. I flipped my chainring back, added a spacer to the drive side, and it seems to be working fine and allows a little more clearance with the chainstay to make me comfortable.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am running this:

https://mrpbike.com/products/amg-v2-alloy

But I believe I do have spacers installed to put it in the correct position. It should come with some little washers you can use to move it out from the bottom bracket a couple millimeters. You would put them in between the ISCG Tabs and the Chain Guide Bracket.

And it clears just fine with my chainring centered in the guide.

·
Dude...
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I did the spacers, have to or the guide wouldn't be centered over the chain. It wasn't an installation issue, it was a bike linkage issue. The bolt and retaining nut still interfere with the linkage in my case with a 32 tooth chainring.

I could see if I was running a 30 how the bolt and retaining nut would slide into the indentation on the linkage possibly.

·
Registered
103 Posts
ya, I bought a wolftooth gnardog chain guide for my ripmo and the ibis iscg mount and have been having to shim out the guide due to the linkage getting in the way. PITA!

I think not using the ibis iscg adaptor and getting a direct bottom bracket mounted guide might be better.

wish ibis designed this better. I appreciate the supplies chain guide my evil has even more now.

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
I run the Absolute Black oval chainring, but found I don’t need a chain guide with the SRAM wide/ narrow ring. Never dropped a chain on any trail. Are you guys (were you) dropping the chain before installing a guide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Dude...
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya, I bought a wolftooth gnardog chain guide for my ripmo and the ibis iscg mount and have been having to shim out the guide due to the linkage getting in the way. PITA!.
I'm confused. You shim to get the guide spaced over your chainring correctly. If it's also helping to clear the linkage, fine, but wouldn't you have to shim anyways? You want it to be centered.

·
Dude...
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't say I drop a lot of chains, especially when my chainring and chain are newer, but I have dropped the occasional chain, and have dropped a couple recently. I think a lot depends on the terrain you're riding. I bomb down a lot of chunk and it's usually fine, but that one out fifty times is enough for me to put one on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
yes, I found it wierd that wolftooth doesnt supply any shims for chain alignment like oneup does.

I ended up grinding down the silver bolt that holds the nylon chain keeper down on the inside and using 2mm washers to shim to get proper chain alignment. seems to be working.

I was dropping my chain pretty regularly with my 11speedshimano setup. switched to sram eagle. see if it's any better. shifting is definitely better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.