Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
5641 - 5660 of 5756 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
ibis is recommending I replace the upper link instead of just the bearings? Apparently it would cost more (parts/labor) to get bearings pressed in/out at a shop.....anyone do this on their own at home?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Utes and bakkies sounds like some distant cousins of camels, donkeys or a beast of burden. Hey, go milk that bakkie! And brush the ute down when you are done.

I prefer TRUCK. Everyone knows what this is, without question. Then again, I’ve also been in the USA too long. My home country calls these things lorries!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
ibis is recommending I replace the upper link instead of just the bearings? Apparently it would cost more (parts/labor) to get bearings pressed in/out at a shop.....anyone do this on their own at home?
By my mechanic recommendation .. I ordered the bearings .. and replace has they need .
I'm going to replace just 1 now .. but I do understand if you go for 4 bearing replacement it will be cheaper

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
By my mechanic recommendation .. I ordered the bearings .. and replace has they need .
I'm going to replace just 1 now .. but I do understand if you go for 4 bearing replacement it will be cheaper

For the upper link? Guy said the whole link purchase is only $55. I couldn't find just the bearings for that item.....how much are just the bearings?

·
Registered
56 Posts
How much grease do you apply? I jam pack it like to a point its pissing out everywhere and have to wipe away the excess i always think its theres grease everywhere water or dust is going to have a hard time getting in, also the raf has holes from the top tube and bottom tube into the headset area im not a fan of this as water travels up and gets trapped in the bottom headset bearing area as i transport my bike upside down on my ute tray or truck bed for you yanks. Thinking of blocking it off somehow
My neighbor recommended the Cane Creek upgraded headset bearings because of the ease of entry of water....said it was well worth the extra cost/maintenance/time CNE000T CNE000U

·
Registered
495 Posts
Utes and bakkies sounds like some distant cousins of camels, donkeys or a beast of burden. Hey, go milk that bakkie! And brush the ute down when you are done.

I prefer TRUCK. Everyone knows what this is, without question. Then again, I’ve also been in the USA too long. My home country calls these things lorries!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ute is an abbreviation of utility. It’s a utility vehicle. Actually the idea came from a farmers wife.
Also a Lory is a f#*cking bird. WTF.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Following. I have the same issue. I can apply quality marine grease, and after only a few rides it starts to creak again. Super annoying.
Same issue but I had to replace lower bearing. Noticed it had a little play . Once replaced been quite ever since .

·
Got rocks?
859 Posts
Since there isn’t much action in the V2 thread I’ll try here. Can anyone compare the Ripmo to the switchblade? Anyone ridden both?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yes I replaced the bearings in the rocker link when I was searched for a creaking/cracking noise in my AF. You can get Enduro Max bearings that fit and it‘s definitely doable. Three of the bearings are dead easy to get in it’s just the last one that’s a pain in arse to do. Again it’s doable but it will frustrate the bejeezus out of you if you are as short fused as me. After doing it once I would do it again but if I could buy a new rocker link for not much more than the cost of new bearings I would go that way.

·
Registered
218 Posts
For the upper link? Guy said the whole link purchase is only $55. I couldn't find just the bearings for that item.....how much are just the bearings?
The bearings are the enduro bearings 6800 LLU.
I paid 5 euros per bearing ..

·
Registered
56 Posts
The bearings are the enduro bearings 6800 LLU.
I paid 5 euros per bearing ..

Are there four bearings needed? Six bucks with tax....less than $30 hhhmmmmm

Yes I replaced the bearings in the rocker link when I was searched for a creaking/cracking noise in my AF. You can get Enduro Max bearings that fit and it‘s definitely doable. Three of the bearings are dead easy to get in it’s just the last one that’s a pain in arse to do. Again it’s doable but it will frustrate the bejeezus out of you if you are as short fused as me. After doing it once I would do it again but if I could buy a new rocker link for not much more than the cost of new bearings I would go that way.

I have a ton of patience!!! Not sure if I want to test it though...... $30 and labor or $60 for new....I'm curious at what makes the fourth one so difficult. The guy at Ibis seemed to think most people end up damaging the link when trying to r/r the bearings.......I have seen Ozibis video and read his posts......I think he is more capable than most.....any special tools needed?

Does the link itself get damaged?....mine has a bunch of rock chips.....I don't think the performance is affected

won't open ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm replacing has they need .. so this time just one.. maybe in 6 months another .. that will keep it running smooth and you are not just replacing the link because ...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I’ll try ordering some replacement bearings. I am running the cane creek 40. Conditions around here are very dry, and dusty. If you watch Remys latest video from fernie, thats the dust we have. I was riding Fernie last week, it was awesome:)

·
Mountainbiker
28 Posts
For muddy conditions I would prefer the Cane Creek 10 or Hellbender with stainless steel Enduro bearings.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G781B mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Any one have problems with their clevis bushings.....need to replace them? Or any of the bushings/bearings.....I'm trying to get them all before the new frame comes.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Any one have problems with their clevis bushings.....need to replace them? Or any of the bushings/bearings.....I'm trying to get them all before the new frame comes.
The new frame should already have the Igus bushes installed I think. That’s usually how a new frame comes and no not many if any people have trouble with them. They don’t wear out very quickly and they have a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The new frame should already have the Igus bushes installed I think. That’s usually how a new frame comes and no not many if any people have trouble with them. They don’t wear out very quickly and they have a lifetime warranty.
Ibis told me the frame will come bare...not even port covers.....but will include bushings with the frame....maybe they meant installed.....I figured they would come in a bag. I see the free warranty replacement is for clevis and lower pivot bushings....I need to make sure those are all there.

What made the last one so difficult. Lbs has the bearings in stock...enduro bearings 6800 LLU MAX..plenty of places to order online too....still weighing the options of doing it myself....are there special tools needed.....I see plenty of homemade presses/clamps...not sure if that's the procedure.
thanks

·
Registered
934 Posts
I got a new rear triangle and it came with all bushings installed. Everything installed with light resistance and rotate very smoothly so no "clearancing" was needed. Just removed the stock lube and used Bel Ray waterproof grease. For some reason, the stock lower link bushings in my rear triangle were mangled. They literally looked like someone took a wood file to them. I'm waiting to see what Ibis says about that after they get the triangle back. I haven't been able to look at the lower link front bushings yet as I can't get my crankset off until I get the removal cap for my Sram cranks. It didn't come with one for some reason. My stock upper link bushings were in great shape still.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Ibis told me the frame will come bare...not even port covers.....but will include bushings with the frame....maybe they meant installed.....I figured they would come in a bag. I see the free warranty replacement is for clevis and lower pivot bushings....I need to make sure those are all there.

What made the last one so difficult. Lbs has the bearings in stock...enduro bearings 6800 LLU MAX..plenty of places to order online too....still weighing the options of doing it myself....are there special tools needed.....I see plenty of homemade presses/clamps...not sure if that's the procedure.
thanks
Two of them press in from the outside of the rocker link and and two of them need to installed from the inside of the rocker link. The outside ones are dead easy. The first inside one isn’t too bad but still a bit fiddly due to the rocker link not being dead flat it’s a bit curved but you can install it by driving it in through the hole where the last bearing goes but once it’s in you only have the very small hole through the inner race of the third bearing to work through and you are left without much choice but to drive the last bearing in by tapping on the inner race. This makes the brand new bearing feel a little rough after it’s installed. It still works fine but isn’t as smooth as the others due to the loads you’ve just put through the inner race. There’s very little room width ways to get any sort of clamp or press in there to press it in.

5641 - 5660 of 5756 Posts