Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

4841 - 4860 of 4906 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I agree using all the travel is a good idea. Like I said my front fork is dialed, but my back shock I can never really tell much of a difference. I'm going to reset my shock settings and follow your advice with the spacers and see what that gives me. I rarely feel the bottom out unless I'm doing drops. Curious as to what others are doing with their spacers and rear shock settings along with their weight if anyone wants to chime in

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
I moved from the front range in July down to BV/Salida. Most of the season before snow down here I was about 143-145 riding weight. 0 neg, 1 pos and approx 4-5 PSI below riding weight to get 30% sag. I am running 2 or 3 clicks from full open on rebound and 175 psi in piggyback. This is where I've been since about August I believe. Before my move, all front range riding was done as stock setup from Ibis w 1 neg, 2 pos (or was 3 pos stock spec?). Stock was TOO much of a pogo affair and never get to full travel for me. Now - down here in the valley - I don't have the likes of Enchanted/Apex or Longhorn so it is working well for me. I can bottom on some features that land to flat but not always. I would say take out the neg spacer for sure. At your weight 4 spacers in the pos seem excessive(really making the ramp up harsh?) and likely would be once you remove the neg spacer, but im just an old hack!! HA.. Removing the neg spacer will make it a bit easier initiating the early travel and to get the rear wheel to move out of the way. I believe you may end up removing a pos spacer once you remove the neg but one setting at a time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I moved from the front range in July down to BV/Salida. Most of the season before snow down here I was about 143-145 riding weight. 0 neg, 1 pos and approx 4-5 PSI below riding weight to get 30% sag. I am running 2 or 3 clicks from full open on rebound and 175 psi in piggyback. This is where I've been since about August I believe. Before my move, all front range riding was done as stock setup from Ibis w 1 neg, 2 pos (or was 3 pos stock spec?). Stock was TOO much of a pogo affair and never get to full travel for me. Now - down here in the valley - I don't have the likes of Enchanted/Apex or Longhorn so it is working well for me. I can bottom on some features that land to flat but not always. I would say take out the neg spacer for sure. At your weight 4 spacers in the pos seem excessive(really making the ramp up harsh?) and likely would be once you remove the neg spacer, but im just an old hack!! HA.. Removing the neg spacer will make it a bit easier initiating the early travel and to get the rear wheel to move out of the way. I believe you may end up removing a pos spacer once you remove the neg but one setting at a time.
Great info. So what would you recommend for my rear shock settings for the front range? Did a ton of front fork testing at floyd hill and now it's finally time to tackle the rear. I love blasting through the chunk full speed. Give me a setup suggestion and I'd love to give it a go.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I agree using all the travel is a good idea. Like I said my front fork is dialed, but my back shock I can never really tell much of a difference. I'm going to reset my shock settings and follow your advice with the spacers and see what that gives me. I rarely feel the bottom out unless I'm doing drops. Curious as to what others are doing with their spacers and rear shock settings along with their weight if anyone wants to chime in

Running 4 spacers in the + at your weight seems excessive. Anyway seeing as though you are at your weight I would recommend that you run 178psi in the bladder 160psi in the body, which is tad higher than I would normally recommend but you say you are bottoming out all the time, 4 clicks of rebound from closed 1 spacer in the + and none in the -. Just to clarify you haven‘t got the + and - chambers mixed up have you. I‘m not far off your weight and when I was using the Topaz 4 spacers would have felt like crap. 2 even made the rear end a bit of a pogo stick and required using too much rebound to settle it down. 4 would be like a jack hammer.

·
Registered
371 Posts
That post screwed up. I’m going for a ride so I’ll repost again later today with some settings to try.
Actually no it didn’t just expand the post and you will see my recommendations.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That post screwed up. I’m going for a ride so I’ll repost again later today with some settings to try.
Actually no it didn’t just expand the post and you will see my recommendations.
Thank you, I appreciate the suggestions!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
JRose - Oz has great perspective here and I agree altho I maybe didn't state it quite as firm - I don't know how you are riding w 4 spacers in one chamber of the can. The pos side is the "larger" side of the divider (and you access first as you slide the air sleeve open) and suspect where you have 4. I don't believe 4 would fit in the neg but sure worth a look. The neg is the smaller secondary chamber that you access when pulling the can sleeve further down and after the internal seals separating them.

Since you mention Floyd Hill - I may try it like this:
O neg
2 pos (since you are surely hitting larger objects at higher speeds than my bv tracks)
Maybe start at 28% sag (altho again im a huge fan at 30% and that's in line w some DVO recommendations)

Adjust rebound after a couple of test hits. Btw and per my DVO point above - its a long ways back in the thread, but one of the regular posters had spoke to DVO and they had recommended you could run more sag than Ibis setup guide and faster rebound w the Topaz towards finding optimal performance. I've been as deep as 35% sag with no issues and also ridden a couple times with rebound at 1 click from wide open. The bike still rode better to me than stock recommendations and spacers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
JRose - Oz has great perspective here and I agree altho I maybe didn't state it quite as firm - I don't know how you are riding w 4 spacers in one chamber of the can. The pos side is the "larger" side of the divider (and you access first as you slide the air sleeve open) and suspect where you have 4. I don't believe 4 would fit in the neg but sure worth a look. The neg is the smaller secondary chamber that you access when pulling the can sleeve further down and after the internal seals separating them.

Since you mention Floyd Hill - I may try it like this:
O neg
2 pos (since you are surely hitting larger objects at higher speeds than my bv tracks)
Maybe start at 28% sag (altho again im a huge fan at 30% and that's in line w some DVO recommendations)

Adjust rebound after a couple of test hits. Btw and per my DVO point above - its a long ways back in the thread, but one of the regular posters had spoke to DVO and they had recommended you could run more sag than Ibis setup guide and faster rebound w the Topaz towards finding optimal performance. I've been as deep as 35% sag with no issues and also ridden a couple times with rebound at 1 click from wide open. The bike still rode better to me than stock recommendations and spacers.
It came with 3pos/1neg so I bought spacers and put 1 more in the positive because I was noticing I was going through all of my travel on rides. I wasn't doing many drops then so I figured I should air up a little bit and put one more in the positive so I left a little wiggle room for drops. I'm just now entering the tuning phase of the back shock as I spent previously four weeks riding Floyd Hill to dial in the front fork. Everything is pretty good as far as the front fort goes but now it's time for me to tackle and learn how to get the back shock optimal. I appreciate the suggestions.

·
Registered
767 Posts
hey folks. Does anyone know where to find custom decals for the AF frame? Mainly I want to change the black stripes on the sides to another color.

thanks
You should give Fanatik a call. They show a lot of Ripmos in their build gallery with different colored Ibis decals.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm running two neg spacers and zero positive spacers now. I'm about 222# ready to ride and was having problems with pedal strikes. Size M with 175 cranks can't help. DVO recommended adding spacers to neg from 2p/1n....I moved one from positive to negative 1p/2n. Improved a bunch...much firmer at beginning of stroke and less pedal strikes. Climbed a lot better too. Never felt plush/magic carpet/ smooth like people described but I have no experience.....it did feel softer than my no suspension!!!!!! I just decided to pull the last positive spacer and put it into the neg chamber.....it didn't fit.....left it out. I noticed a difference right away just on the street. Went to local trail that has a lot of loose rocks up to about 4 inches and smaller mixed with not loose rocks.....very vibrating is what I would describe......all the vibration went away....just totally smoothed out.....really nice!!!!!! Didn't climb as well. I don't jump much and don't do big drops...but would like too. I never bottom out and don't really get close to using the whole stroke. Maybe I should try less psi? I have enough psi to not need the pos spacer and not bottom out? I do like the new found plushness......maybe try to remove the neg spacers as per your suggestion....although adding them is what I think has kept me from getting pedal strikes....I do like the firmness in the beginning of the stroke though. I think removing the pos spacer made it less harsh in the middle/bottom of the stroke. Maybe I have been going at this all wrong......you just added more sleeplessness!!!! HA!!

Went to another trail yesterday that is rougher and more tech with huge rocks. For the climb I now need to be have the compression switch closed or I get some bob. I'm at 240psi in shock 200 in bladder. Prior to moving the spacers I would get pedal strikes with less psi. It does sound like this bike has difficulty with above 200# riders. I have played with my friends bikes.....they always feel sooooo soft......but I can bottom them out with just pushing...they are only 150#s

If I did remove the spacers what would you suggest for psi?
Thanks for the help....it seems one step forward and one back

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm running two neg spacers and zero positive spacers now. I'm about 222# ready to ride and was having problems with pedal strikes. Size M with 175 cranks can't help. DVO recommended adding spacers to neg from 2p/1n....I moved one from positive to negative 1p/2n. Improved a bunch...much firmer at beginning of stroke and less pedal strikes. Climbed a lot better too. Never felt plush/magic carpet/ smooth like people described but I have no experience.....it did feel softer than my no suspension!!!!!! I just decided to pull the last positive spacer and put it into the neg chamber.....it didn't fit.....left it out. I noticed a difference right away just on the street. Went to local trail that has a lot of loose rocks up to about 4 inches and smaller mixed with not loose rocks.....very vibrating is what I would describe......all the vibration went away....just totally smoothed out.....really nice!!!!!! Didn't climb as well. I don't jump much and don't do big drops...but would like too. I never bottom out and don't really get close to using the whole stroke. Maybe I should try less psi? I have enough psi to not need the pos spacer and not bottom out? I do like the new found plushness......maybe try to remove the neg spacers as per your suggestion....although adding them is what I think has kept me from getting pedal strikes....I do like the firmness in the beginning of the stroke though. I think removing the pos spacer made it less harsh in the middle/bottom of the stroke. Maybe I have been going at this all wrong......you just added more sleeplessness!!!! HA!!

Went to another trail yesterday that is rougher and more tech with huge rocks. For the climb I now need to be have the compression switch closed or I get some bob. I'm at 240psi in shock 200 in bladder. Prior to moving the spacers I would get pedal strikes with less psi. It does sound like this bike has difficulty with above 200# riders. I have played with my friends bikes.....they always feel sooooo soft......but I can bottom them out with just pushing...they are only 150#s

If I did remove the spacers what would you suggest for psi?
Thanks for the help....it seems one step forward and one back
Not sure if you're aware but dvo offers custom tunes for like 100$

·
Registered
22 Posts
I guess I didn't refresh......now two pages info later than when I posted......gotta get some reading time in....thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
195 Posts
So i just spent an hour or so trying to get rid of a creak, just serviced the whole linkage few days ago to have it creak like a bastard..... Pulled everything apart again looked like it was the lower linkage.... Serviced it again put everything back together.... Still creaked thought to myself no way can it be the linkage not possible... Had a epiphany.... "lifts rear xt deraileur" holy crap balls it was the derailleur resinating its own creak through the bike the whole frickin time...
Lesson learned

·
Registered
511 Posts
So i just spent an hour or so trying to get rid of a creak, just serviced the whole linkage few days ago to have it creak like a bastard..... Pulled everything apart again looked like it was the lower linkage.... Serviced it again put everything back together.... Still creaked thought to myself no way can it be the linkage not possible... Had a epiphany.... "lifts rear xt deraileur" holy crap balls it was the derailleur resinating its own creak through the bike the whole frickin time...
Lesson learned
Yeah my bike had been creaking for the longest time, making god awful sounds in the drivetrain. Turns out I just needed to service the clutch on the SLX derailleur hahah. Also lesson learned

·
Registered
195 Posts
so how did it ride ? i wondered early days when i got the ripmo what it would be like mullet, but the bb is quiet low plus it feels great as a full 29er so that idea just went away... but what did you think ? also the longer i own this bike the more i fall in love with it its just fantastic at everything

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tanman..... how's the wrist?
Ozibis....your info is amazing thanks for sharing
bdreynolds7.......how was it?.....I remember mullet days!!!!
jrose152.... I may have to go custom
Any topaz recommendations for us heavy weights?.....seems everyone is under 170. I am a little under 27% sag....maybe I should drop some psi to get to 30%. As ozibis said maybe I described "bob" wrong....the bike just feels like it pushes me forward more with two neg spacers than with only one...less energy. Maybe just drop psi to get to 30% sag but leave in the two neg spacers.....make only one change at a time.......I need help with the front too!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Any topaz recommendations for us heavy weights?.....seems everyone is under 170. I am a little under 27% sag....maybe I should drop some psi to get to 30%. As ozibis said maybe I described "bob" wrong....the bike just feels like it pushes me forward more with two neg spacers than with only one...less energy. Maybe just drop psi to get to 30% sag but leave in the two neg spacers.....make only one change at a time.......I need help with the front too!!
Heyy. Heavy rider here
I'm at 200 and change full equipment.
On the topaz I added a spacer on the positive to increase the progression.
This is my current setup
Topaz test
Bladder :: 190
Pressão ::200
Rebound :: 3 from clockwise

I may lower the bladder a little bit like 5 psi to test the feeling .
;)

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
511 Posts
so how did it ride ? i wondered early days when i got the ripmo what it would be like mullet, but the bb is quiet low plus it feels great as a full 29er so that idea just went away... but what did you think ? also the longer i own this bike the more i fall in love with it its just fantastic at everything
I didn’t really rip on it since it’s my buddy’s wheel. Just pedaled around the neighborhood, he also doesn’t have the right size rotor or number of gears haha

·
Registered
486 Posts
Stiff but can manage tame rides. Just can’t go all out.

I might have missed this but what is your weight? With 2 -ve spacers, I think your bike will ride very tall, resisting bottoming but probably very stiff for small bumps. You could try removing -ve 1 spacer, increase the psi to main body to compensate. The bladder functions like compression damping- I think. So the more damping you need, you’ll have to up the pressure here but watch out for going over. There’s only 30 psi range to play with.

Lighter riders tend to have easier time setting Topaz up. I carried my toolbox with the spacers in my truck. Only had to make 2 loops back to the truck to switch spacers and readjust pressure and found a setting I like. But yea, setup rides are a bit of a PITA, just got to have patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sonicreducer....another 200!!!!Yeah! Do you ever have problems with pedal strikes?
Maybe I have something backwards? 220# ride weight. Here is the history. I started with 2pos/1neg spacer.....rode for months trying to get into shape....not worrying about tune.....When I started to climb/descend more I then noticed pedal strikes when climbing...and descending .....had to be real careful of placement. I added more air to 240psi. Better. DVO suggested because of heavy weight I should add a spacer to neg side....so 1pos/2neg. Much better...less strikes and climbed better....like my energy was going forward not sinking. Rode like that for a few months....sat on other bikes and noticed how cloudy they felt.....I liked how the bike felt when I moved spacers from pos to neg.....realized that I couldn't fit more than two spacers in the neg....so I left the pos out...now at 0pos/2neg......felt very cloudy and smooth on the small vibrating trail I rode that day. The climb felt different....not as easy. The next ride was more difficult tech climb/down....did not feel very good on the way up....way more noticeable than on the non tech climb the day before.....I ended up moving the switch to the climb position just to make it feel like I was getting forward momentum. I don't do big jumps or drops....would like to....and never get close to using all my travel. I think I'm only at 14mm sag. I think the high psi is keeping me from using more travel....not needing spacers in the pos...I wonder if there is a half size spacer to fit in the neg side.....I think there is a bit of room.
main=240psi
bladder=200psi
rebound=5 clicks maybe too much?
spacers=0pos/2neg

4841 - 4860 of 4906 Posts