Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

4521 - 4540 of 4629 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
So im starting to feel my opinions on the diamond are while its a great fork its under gunned with the jade x on the rear, just jumping on a mates slash with a z1 that fork just feels stout compared, the diamond feels somewhat at the end of its tether in 160mm on an aggressive trail bike like the ripmo i do think the onyx would be alot better but I'm thinking I'll get a mezzer shortly..... Diamond would be fantastic on a 130 140mm trail bike i feel, on the ripmo its getting out of its league i believe. The diamond is a killer fork none the less

·
Registered
330 Posts
So im starting to feel my opinions on the diamond are while its a great fork its under gunned with the jade x on the rear, just jumping on a mates slash with a z1 that fork just feels stout compared, the diamond feels somewhat at the end of its tether in 160mm on an aggressive trail bike like the ripmo i do think the onyx would be alot better but I'm thinking I'll get a mezzer shortly..... Diamond would be fantastic on a 130 140mm trail bike i feel, on the ripmo its getting out of its league i believe. The diamond is a killer fork none the less
As you already know you won’t get any arguments from me about getting a Mezzer. Absolutely outstanding fork. I’ve been using it for a little while now and literally every time I ride it it still blows me away how good it is. It constantly amazes me.

·
Registered
296 Posts
That’s why they make the Onyx,been on a Diamond previously and yes ,even which the Topaz I feel the front it’s underguned

·
Registered
330 Posts
That’s why they make the Onyx,been on a Diamond previously and yes ,even which the Topaz I feel the front it’s underguned
I agree. I’ve previously said I felt my well sorted Topaz outperformed the Diamond a little. In saying that I would probably still use a Diamond over a Fox 36 but I haven’t ridden a 2021 36 even though I owned one for a short time. They are supposed to be quite a bit better. You always hear that though when something new comes out

·
San Miguel Beer Drinker
343 Posts

Took the RAF to 3 Skulls, a local DH track where the Southeast Asian Games was done last year. Had fun with it! Feels dialled as of now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
477 Posts
Decided to try something different with the Diamond so I took out all compression damping and put 5-7 more PSI than normal in. Rides good! Might add a couple clicks of OTT to soften up the initial stroke but I'm happy.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Decided to try something different with the Diamond so I took out all compression damping and put 5-7 more PSI than normal in. Rides good! Might add a couple clicks of OTT to soften up the initial stroke but I'm happy.
If you’re over 110 psi then just set OTT to Max. You won’t lose any travel. 110 psi is the crossover point.

·
Registered
477 Posts
If you’re over 110 psi then just set OTT to Max. You won’t lose any travel. 110 psi is the crossover point.
I ran it at 122psi today 7 or 8 turns OTT. Though I think my OTT might be winding itself in? Was there every a consensus on what to do with the fork when that happens other than send it back to DVO?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I ran it at 122psi today 7 or 8 turns OTT. Though I think my OTT might be winding itself in? Was there every a consensus on what to do with the fork when that happens other than send it back to DVO?
Not that I know of. Mine never moved but not long after I started doing all the tinkering with it I started running Max OTT so I suppose it had nowhere to go.

·
Registered
91 Posts
DVO will send you a 3D printed cap to stop it from winding. Mine fell out after 2 rides. They said the ‘top hat’ holding the ott spring needs to be greased. Mine has the same issue plus there is what I feel is quite a bit of play in the bushings. They say some play is normal, but it’s more than what I’ve had on previous RS and fox forks. Right now I’m debating sending it in for the issue and paying for a custom tune, or just selling the fork and trying something new like a mezzer or lyrik.

FYI, you can just send the damper to DVO for a custom tune, they said it would be much cheaper due to shipping and the amount of work required.

·
Registered
159 Posts
DVO will send you a 3D printed cap to stop it from winding. Mine fell out after 2 rides. They said the ‘top hat’ holding the ott spring needs to be greased. Mine has the same issue plus there is what I feel is quite a bit of play in the bushings. They say some play is normal, but it’s more than what I’ve had on previous RS and fox forks. Right now I’m debating sending it in for the issue and paying for a custom tune, or just selling the fork and trying something new like a mezzer or lyrik.

FYI, you can just send the damper to DVO for a custom tune, they said it would be much cheaper due to shipping and the amount of work required.
With your bushing play issue, have you done the lowers on the fork yet? Running fairly dry lowers can lead to prematurely worn bushings, and doing the service can help that issue afterward if the play isn't too severe. When things are dry, there's no layer of lubrication (or less) between the bushings and the stanchions, and that can contribute to the loose bushing feel.

That's good info about shipping just the damper, for a custom tune. Good option, especially for heavier folk who seem to have more issues finding a good setup.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I dropped the lowers after a couple rides as something didn’t feel right. Very little oil in the damper side and a glob of goop in the air spring side. I also flip the bike prior to each ride so oil migrates through the bushings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Agree the diamond is outgunned with a serious shock out back. In my case it's the cane creek DBiL coil with progressive spring. I'm probably going to get a mezzer, zeb, or fox 38 but haven't decided which.

My best results with the diamond as a 180 pound rider are 125 psi, full OTT in, 1 full turn HSC, 1-2 LSC, and rebound 11 clicks from turtle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any of you guys playing gravel bike with the RAF since it's soaked out permanently? I just had a decent gravel run on mine. Just locked out the rear and set the diamond to LSC 4 and sit and spin. Not ideal to go fast, but if you're out there for the exercise the extra unnecessary heft is a bonus, right :unsure:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes their new progressive spring. I’m already running a 500lb which feels decent for my 175-180lb riding weight. The 425-500 just didn’t have enough support off the top and it seemed to bottom out easier than my straight 500 probably due to the 425 initial rate. 475-575 should give relatively the same support off the top and ramp up more than the current spring.
Just another data point: I'm 205lbs RTR on a 475-575 spring. Gives me ~28% sag with as little preload as possible. Feels really great on the trail with no harsh bottom outs in the couple weeks I got to ride it at the end of the season.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Any of you guys playing gravel bike with the RAF since it's soaked out permanently? I just had a decent gravel run on mine. Just locked out the rear and set the diamond to LSC 4 and sit and spin. Not ideal to go fast, but if you're out there for the exercise the extra unnecessary heft is a bonus, right :unsure:
Over here in North Van, I've been exclusively shredding my hard tail since we got saturated in November. Mostly sticking to the hardpack/rock armored trails, and usually when there are breaks in the rain. I'm in love with the thing, after dialing in so many parts/geo details over the summer.

RAF is in hibernation. Completely disassembled, currently refreshing all the pivots, with Diamond and Topaz service coming up soon. I'll probably grab a One Up 210 post before she's back together again. Damn NX parts have been a real pain periodically, since I bought the bike. I need to go buy a crank extractor ring and pre-load ring after work, since the extractor extracted itself trailside, and the preloader is a threaded device that appears to be made of soft cheese. A shame that I'll probably be dropping close to $40 just to keep a functional, yet shitty, pair of cranks going.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Lots of discussion regarding the Diamond’s inconsistency or lack of performance in general. Aside from my wrong settings in the beginning (too much psi and rebound too slow) , I’ve experienced inconsistency on mine once or twice where the fork just felt stiff. In those instances, it was quite cold out. It’s also subjective what we Arizonans consider as cold- let’s just say it’s below 50 degrees ambient temp.

And on days where I feel my RAF just isn’t plush enough, this is what I do- Go ride my 120 front travel hardtail back to back. Once I hop back on the RAF on the next ride, the plush was just amazing in comparison!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4521 - 4540 of 4629 Posts