Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 4596 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are showing up at dealers this week. I think this is a great idea to get a quality bike at a lower price point.

• 29” Wheels
  • 160mm front travel
  • 147mm dw-link rear travel
  • 2.6” tire clearance
  • Aluminum front and rear triangle
  • Available in four sizes S-XL, fits riders between 5’ and 6’6
  • Frame weight of 8.25lbs for a medium with a DVO topaz shock
  • Available with DVO JADE X coil shock

• Progressive suspension leverage ratio for compatibility with select coil shocks.
  • Slack 64.9 head angle
  • 44mm Fork Offset
  • Steep 76 degree seat tube angle
  • Threaded BB (73mm BSA)
  • ISCG 05 Compatible with removable adapter
  • Port style Internal cable routing
  • 22oz bottles fit inside front triangle
  • Size M-XL compatible with 170mm+ droppers, 125-150mm for smalls
  • Molded rubber swing arm protectors
  • IGUS bushings in lower link, bearings in upper link
  • Metric 210x55 shock
  • 203mm max rotor size
  • 1x specific design
  • Boost spacing
  • Tapered headtube and steerer: ZS44 upper, ZS56 lower

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
This is an absolutely fantastic move by IBIS. A fantastic bike at an affordable price. Just brilliant.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Can someone give me an idea of what a complete bike might weigh with an 8.25lb AL frame? Not a lot of manufacturers give out frame weights for AL bikes, so I'm not sure what to compare it to. Are we Talking 34+lbs like the new Hightower?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Can someone give me an idea of what a complete bike might weigh with an 8.25lb AL frame? Not a lot of manufacturers give out frame weights for AL bikes, so I'm not sure what to compare it to. Are we Talking 34+lbs like the new Hightower?
2 lbs more than the carbon ripmo. my x01 with carbon wheels was 29.4lbs.

·
Your bike sucks
2,055 Posts
I think Ibis nailed it with this one. Quality coil - frame for $1899? Hats off.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Carbon Ripmo frame is 6lb. People in the Ripmo build thread claim weights ranging from 28-31lbs for their carbon Ripmos, so figure 30-33 for the Ripmo AF.

(My Ripmo GX with carbon 942 wheels and pedals is 29.5lbs FWIW).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Soon if I am reading it correctly the coil compatibility is from a slightly different rear end lay out correct? So not possible to buy a new linage and make carbon Rip's coil compatible?

·
Ride Fast Take Chances :)
3,327 Posts
Soon if I am reading it correctly the coil compatibility is from a slightly different rear end lay out correct? So not possible to buy a new linage and make carbon Rip's coil compatible?
I was wondering this too. Must have lowered the front shock mount slightly to get the increased progression and maybe tweaked the rear.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'm glad that Ibis recognizes the fact that not everyone is a dentist.
The orange slx build is legit !

·
Registered
342 Posts
I like the looks of this model better than the standard ripmo, especially the orange. The weights and price of the GX build sounds pretty impressive too. The mtbr review makes it sound like its a worse all-arounder with less sensitive suspension than the carbon ripmo, but its still pretty cool. I guess I like that they slackened it and made the suspension a bit more progressive which were changes people wished for in the standard carbon ripmo, so ibis listened to customers and made it better than the carbon ripmo in some ways.

Its a bit too enduro for my riding but I like it, I believe these things will be pretty popular.

·
No Clue Crew
7,030 Posts
Man, I literally just sold my HT2 to come back to a Ripmo, which I bought last week. Not saying I would have waited, but the better head angle, excellent builds for the price and -- most importantly -- coil compatibility definitely pique my interest.

Curious if there's a way to tweak the plastic version to take a coil.

1 - 20 of 4596 Posts