Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a big Ripley fan and have a plan to get the latest one fro the 2022 season. That said with the launch of the Rocky Mountain Element it has me thinking. I know there will always be new bikes but are these comparable bikes or is the Element more XC? Walk me off the Rocky ledge. I’ve wanted a Ripley for years but never pulled the trigger (ended up with Santa Cruz). The Element is very intriguing for a short travel 29r.

· Registered
139 Posts
I have one saying: “It’s 100% right or 100% wrong.”

And more times than not, your first choice is the right one

Even with my recent Ripley AF purchase, months ago it was the bike I oogled over… but no, I went ahead and purchased a Commencal Meta TR Essential… then 2 months passed, delay email… then another delay email, then finally I decided on the refund and went locally and surprise… what I originally wanted was available.

Long story short… should of went with my first choice… which I did, eventually, and it’s 100% right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have one saying: “It’s 100% right or 100% wrong.”

And more times than not, your first choice is the right one

Even with my recent Ripley AF purchase, months ago it was the bike I oogled over… but no, I went ahead and purchased a Commencal Meta TR Essential… then 2 months passed, delay email… then another delay email, then finally I decided on the refund and went locally and surprise… what I originally wanted was available.

Long story short… should of went with my first choice… which I did, eventually, and it’s 100% right.

Lol, you are so right. I’m a Hightower and 5010 deep now and I can’t stop thinking about the Ripley. I like this Element but I’ll always be asking what if….damn n+1 is hard…

· Registered
137 Posts
My wife has a 2018 Ripley and loves it. When we test rode before we bought I was not impressed with how high in the saddle it rides. Watching all these you tube vids don't give you the experience of riding your dream bike to see if it is for you. I think ibis is starting the test ride bus soon.

· Registered
1,971 Posts
Just looked at the geo for the Element and it's more of a ST trail bike than XC ripper. Pretty similar to the Ripley, even slacker HTA at 65* and longer WB. That said, I LOVE my Ripley V4. So much so that I had one stolen and bought another one.

· Registered
125 Posts
Curious to revive this thread now that the RM Element has been out for a while.

Test ride and can get my hands on a Ripley AF from LBS.Nice responsive ride and will be a breathe of fresh air from my 160mm rig. Unfortunately due to supply/demand, can’t demo it on a trail.

RM Element looks very nice. Build kit is a bit more expensive. I was deciding between tallboy and ripley, but much preferred responsiveness of the ripley. Felt like the RM might split the difference, pedal friendly and light/responsive but a bit more downhill capability? No dealers too near me to even look at one, and availability is unknown (of course we always want what we can’t have..).

Anyone been able to ride and compare both?

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
19,775 Posts
Just looked at the geo for the Element and it's more of a ST trail bike than XC ripper. Pretty similar to the Ripley, even slacker HTA at 65* and longer WB. That said, I LOVE my Ripley V4. So much so that I had one stolen and bought another one.
I've never understood why anyone would have a bike stolen.
=sParty

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Curious to revive this thread now that the RM Element has been out for a while.

Test ride and can get my hands on a Ripley AF from LBS.Nice responsive ride and will be a breathe of fresh air from my 160mm rig. Unfortunately due to supply/demand, can’t demo it on a trail.

RM Element looks very nice. Build kit is a bit more expensive. I was deciding between tallboy and ripley, but much preferred responsiveness of the ripley. Felt like the RM might split the difference, pedal friendly and light/responsive but a bit more downhill capability? No dealers too near me to even look at one, and availability is unknown (of course we always want what we can’t have..).

Anyone been able to ride and compare both?
Not long after posting this a store reached out to me where I had my name down on a specific Ripley build and I bought it sight unseen. How could I not, every other guidance I got was for new supply in the summer. Never got a leg over on the Element. Sounds like a great bike but I did see it in person and personally I like the looks of a larger downtube/frame etc.. The element looks like a steel hardtail (which I also have so not a criticism, just highly personal comment)

I have to say I’ve been surprisingly successful with sourcing bikes over the last 4 months. I’ve helped 3 people get in demand bikes with a bit of resourcefulness. They are out there if you do the leg work.

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
19,775 Posts
I have to say I’ve been surprisingly successful with sourcing bikes over the last 4 months. I’ve helped 3 people get in demand bikes with a bit of resourcefulness. They are out there if you do the leg work.
So true.
My GF wanted a Specialized Levo SL so ordered one through the LBS in early September '20.
The bike arrived the following June (mid-month, nearly 10 months later.)
Now our LBS has one in stock. This is a bike that's in very high demand.
Good bikes are out there.
=sParty

· Registered
1,971 Posts
I've never understood why anyone would have a bike stolen.
=sParty
I don't understand why someone would have the Mona Lisa or the Empire State Building stolen either but, alas, they were. Besides, I just like New Bike Day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.